NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

You know, while this Washington set looks outlandish, one of the biggest problems is inconsistency. Say what you want about Tennesee, Atlanta and the NY Jets, while they definitely look horrid, their jerseys are consistent. They have terrible uniform sets, not 3 terrible jerseys. 

• Like 9

I still don't see how this

spacer.png

is considered terrible

Compared to this

spacer.png

So much cleaner. The Falcons uniforms are not traditional, but they are a massive improvement over the generic piped out Reebok set they had before. New uniforms are simple and brand centric. You can't compare them with the Titans, which have a ton of flaws (logo on helmet has too many keylines, the dumb armpit inserts, the randomnness of the floating inserts on the pants). 

Both the Falcons and Jets have good, contemporary uniforms -- the issues only come from when they wear combinations that don't look good, which is a mistake even teams with traditional uniforms can make.

• Like 20

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

Unpopular opinion (likely by a long shot), but this was such a fantastic uniform to build from

spacer.png

I wouldn't say it's unpopular, in fact I say that should have been the starting block. Add white and burgundy stripes to the pants, choose one flavor of gold and go from there. 

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

26 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

spacer.png

is considered terrible

Compared to this

spacer.png

So much cleaner. The Falcons uniforms are not traditional, but they are a massive improvement over the generic piped out Reebok set they had before. New uniforms are simple and brand centric. You can't compare them with the Titans, which have a ton of flaws (logo on helmet has too many keylines, the dumb armpit inserts, the randomnness of the floating inserts on the pants). 

Both the Falcons and Jets have good, contemporary uniforms -- the issues only come from when they wear combinations that don't look good, which is a mistake even teams with traditional uniforms can make.

The only bad parts of the new Falcons uniforms are the giant ATL and the numbers, along with the gradient jersey. If they had kept the Reebok era numbers people would be calling them modern classics. 

• Like 13

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

All Atlanta really needs to do is drop the side stripe on the jerseys and get a full red jersey.

For the Jets, the jersey and pants stripes desperately need to be outlined accordingly

Titans just need to drop the armpit stains and get a better pants stripe

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

22 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

spacer.png

is considered terrible

Compared to this

spacer.png

It's possible to label something as "bad" based upon what could've been, rather than compared with what it replaced. That's the case here.

I don't disagree that it's better than what they had before. But some of the design choices, like the oversized ATL on the neckline,  are really odd and unnecessary. Admittedly, the example you chose to share here is probably the best of the bunch (retro excluded) because it's also one of the few non-unitard looks. 

It's also hard to love this set when they roll it out with the exceptional throwback look, which is far superior to the rest of the collection. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

That's another What If. If Washington's ownership had changed the name to Commanders but continued the Gibbs-era uniform just used the "W" mark on the helmet, how would that had worked out?

That would've been fine by me, and a million times better than what we ended up with. I'm not a huge fan of the Commanders name, I still usually refer to them as Washington, and probably one of the few advocates of the Football Team name. The worst part of the WFT rebrand was the helmet, if they would've left the stripes alone and slapped the W on the side instead of the stupid numbers it would've looked great. Same thing with the Commanders, their helmet (preferably with a gold facemask) paired with the old uniforms would've been a great set. It would actually look like it belongs in the NFL, especially for a franchise that is celebrating 90 years of existence. 

• Like 5
SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png

52 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

spacer.png

is considered terrible

Compared to this

spacer.png

Can't both be awful, even if for different reasons?  A kick in the nuts is painful, but so is a punch in the nose.

• Like 11

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 minutes ago, Moseph said:

The worst part of the WFT rebrand was the helmet, if they would've left the stripes alone and slapped the W on the side instead of the stupid numbers it would've looked great. Same thing with the Commanders, their helmet (preferably with a gold facemask) paired with the old uniforms would've been a great set. It would actually look like it belongs in the NFL, especially for a franchise that is celebrating 90 years of existence. 

As much as I dislike the Commanders' brand and the results of this whole effort, you've got to admit that finding a new brand for a 90-plus year old franchise was a Herculean task.

To really hit the mark they would have had to find something that's unique on its own, that uses the same colors, but isn't directly reminiscent of the brand they're leaving behind. So keeping the old helmet striping, or the prior uniforms, would've just made them the ***skins with a different logo. While that might have been visually satisfying, it runs counter to the purpose of the whole exercise.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Had the WFT kept going as a brand for a few years longer, do we get a Marquette Golden Eagles situation where the brand gains greater affection based on a foundation of being "better than expected."

I don't think Golden Eagles has gained any such greater affection 🙂

Saying it is better than "Gold" is one thing. Saying that there is affection for it is quite another.

As to Washington, they probably had to distance themselves from the previous uniform so that they could distance themselves from the name. Yes, it would have looked better than what they have now, but it truly wasn't an option, IMO.

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

spacer.png

is considered terrible

Compared to this

spacer.png

For me, the silver facemask without silver used on the jersey and pants ruins the look for me. At least with the last set, the black facemask matched the rest of the uniform. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

spacer.png

is considered terrible

Compared to this

spacer.png

Exactly.  I said it the day of the reveal, and I'll keep saying it, that the new uniforms are a huge improvement over the last set. The black over white is my favorite. And as I predicted in 2020, is now the default home option.  The white over black is also very clean. Simply put,  they aren't for everyone,  but nothing in this world is universally loved by all. They are very clean, and have  beautiful  color contrast and distribution 

• Like 3

@nuordr -- fair point. 

To play devil's advocate, and not saying you have this preference, but it's interesting that grey facemasks generally get a pass on these boards for any number of throwbacks, but a modern iteration does not. 

I get the logic: for grey facemasks re: throwbacks, they call back to an era when the facemask wasn't painted or considered part of the uniform (it was just more seen as an attachment). Now that the precedent has been set to tie in the facemask color, modern usage of it isn't met with as much enthusiasm. It's almost as if grey facemasks should be a grandfathered-in thing, only. 

I like the silver facemasks for the Falcons, but they could enhance the uniform by adding grey/silver pants -- I think that was one thing most Falcons fans called for when they saw the red pants that not only didn't match up, but apparently don't even exist.

I also like that the Falcons silver facemasks echo a lot of the aesthetic of the stadium's interior. They kind of tie into the new arena more, which was part of the intent of the new design. But, starting a conversation about how uniforms might fit a greater overall aesthetic is a can of worms.

I understand why people don't like them, but I just think compared to what else Nike did w/ the Browns, Buccaneers, Jaguars and Titans, the Atlanta redux was tastefully done.

• Like 4

I thought for sure this was a picture from Falcons practice

FaOMiYIUYAAKuTy?format=jpg&name=large

Also, the Cardinals Twitter header photo is showing a jersey that doesn’t seem to be their normal red jersey and it seems to be better quality than the practice jersey. Plus, why showcase a random player and not someone like Kyler Murray or JJ Watt? That person in the photo is definitely a model and not RB Darrel Williams

1500x500

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

Also, the Cardinals Twitter header photo is showing a jersey that doesn’t seem to be their normal red jersey and it seems to be better quality than the practice jersey. Plus, why showcase a random player and not someone like Kyler Murray or JJ Watt? That person in the photo is definitely a model and not RB Darrel Williams

1500x500

I don't see the usual piping anywhere (though it'd be tough to see at this angle) and that number font is definitely different from the current. I can't tell if it's just the lighting but I think there might be some darker red detailing on the sleeve caps and the facemask looks white. If this is an actual sneak peak at a redesign for the cardinals, I would gladly welcome it with open arms. Simple works for a team like the Cardinals, and pretty much anything - aside from a nightmarish hypermodern mess like the Commanders - is better than the outdated piping monstrosity they wear now.

• Like 4

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

11 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

That is really strange that the Cardinals would have something like that. I mean, clearly an NFL jersey with the shield and Nike checks. From everything you can see, it's almost certainly a throwback. 

They already have 2 alternates, though. They would have to ditch one of their black looks in order to make room for a throwback, which I have heard nothing about. If they are ditching one, it's probably the white-numbered set. That way they can keep the needless monochrome black alternate for the fire emojis.

• Like 2

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

14 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

That is really strange that the Cardinals would have something like that. I mean, clearly an NFL jersey with the shield and Nike checks. From everything you can see, it's almost certainly a throwback. 

It's got the current number font.  If it's a throwback, they missed a pretty big detail (considering it's the only detail on those jerseys.)

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

21 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

As to Washington, they probably had to distance themselves from the previous uniform so that they could distance themselves from the name. Yes, it would have looked better than what they have now, but it truly wasn't an option, IMO.

The Guardians and the Elks both kept their same basic uniforms and even chose names vaguely connected to the ones they had to get rid of. Everyone moved on with their lives once the changes were made. Washington could have done the absolute bare minimum of swapping the logo and changing 4 letters in their old name and we would not be here 2 years later still discussing the controversy

• Like 9
  • Applause 4