NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

On 8/13/2022 at 3:22 PM, Cujo said:

Commanders white unis looking like straight ass

FaD5MCGXoAINhv_?format=jpg&name=large

The numbers look like when you wore/washed an old Reebok replica jersey too many times.

And that's no to mention the forced black and mismatching helmet.

• Like 10

On 8/13/2022 at 3:26 PM, the admiral said:

The status quo ante, when they had the bad name and people in media were just too precious to say the bad name, was fine enough for me. At least they looked pretty good. Oh well. Shoutout to George Floyd.

Can you stop doing this?

• Like 18

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

For years, the Vikings gloss helmets didn’t match the jerseys. The matte finish finally matches the jersey color and for some you think that’s a problem. 

No need to be a silly jackass with more question marks than the Riddler. 

Me making a comment about helmet colors - when that was the entire reason of your original post - is not a strawman argument. You might want to check out that definition one more time. 

Putting words into my mouth to make your own point is bizarre to me, and follows the definition of…

Yeah, the Vikings current helmet is a lot better now since they fixed it after it looked awful for the first six years. Doesnt mean I don’t think that matted finishes look incomplete and sub-professional to me (and, in the case of the Commanders, will create color matching issues if applied unscrupulously). I still contend this was the best helmet they ever wore and the colors matched just fine. It just happened to go with the worst jersey they ever wore.

6652408.jpg

• Yawn 2

38 minutes ago, Bathysphere said:

Putting words into my mouth to make your own point is bizarre to me, and follows the definition of…

Yeah, the Vikings current helmet is a lot better now since they fixed it after it looked awful for the first six years. Doesnt mean I don’t think that matted finishes look incomplete and sub-professional to me (and, in the case of the Commanders, will create color matching issues if applied unscrupulously). I still contend this was the best helmet they ever wore and the colors matched just fine. It just happened to go with the worst jersey they ever wore.

6652408.jpg

That’s a metallic finish, not a plain gloss. Technically an alternate finish just like matte or satin. Look at Vikings helmets from the 90s, when they had a plain gloss helmet that didn’t match the jerseys, then talk to me. 

Atlanta Falcons plan online re-watch of '98 NFC title game against Vikings  - Bring Me The News

“YoU PuT WoRdS In My MoUtH”

When did I put words into your mouth?? You said the Commanders' satin helmets won't match (which is a huge probelm) and that regular gloss helmets were fine...and then I asked if you'd rather have matte helmets, like the Vikings wear, that match the jersey nearly perfectly (as we see both in football and baseball) which is neither putting words into your mouth nor a strawman. 

Oh well. 

At least you admit the Vikings helmet looks pretty good now, although it's an alternative finish.

• LOL 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

22 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I don’t know how many times this has to be said, but Snyder wasn’t directly responsible for the new uniforms. It was his wife, Tanya who was “heavily involved with the uniform design”.

That is precisely why I said Snyder, if I meant him I would have said Dan Snyder...calm down. 

• Yawn 2

spacer.png

15 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

I miss the Football Team. 

I think the Football Team is going to go down as a great "What If."

There seemed to be (at least to this outside observer) greater than expected appreciation and acceptance.

I wonder if part of it was that the uniforms were largely kept the same, with the helmet alone changing.

Had the WFT kept going as a brand for a few years longer, do we get a Marquette Golden Eagles situation where the brand gains greater affection based on a foundation of being "better than expected."

• Like 3

On 8/13/2022 at 6:26 PM, the admiral said:

The status quo ante, when they had the bad name and people in media were just too precious to say the bad name, was fine enough for me. At least they looked pretty good. Oh well. Shoutout to George Floyd.

Another one you should have posted from your dupe account. Yikes.

• Like 8

T1oYViW.png

10 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Had the WFT kept going as a brand for a few years longer, do we get a Marquette Golden Eagles situation where the brand gains greater affection based on a foundation of being "better than expected."

No, I think the appreciation would be that it's better than what they settled on. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

18 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

It's a great question, but I don't think so. I say that, because I feel as if much of the appreciation for WFT is borne from how terrible the Commanders look is. 

To me, and maybe others, WFT represented an unresolved narrative. Even if it was good enough, it's hard to break from the idea that it was made with the intent of being replaceable. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

It's a great question, but I don't think so. I say that, because I feel as if much of the appreciation for WFT is borne from how terrible the Commanders look is. 

To me, and maybe others, WFT represented an unresolved narrative. Even if it was good enough, it's hard to break from the idea that it was made with the intent of being replaceable. 

That's another What If. If Washington's ownership had changed the name to Commanders but continued the Gibbs-era uniform just used the "W" mark on the helmet, how would that had worked out?

• Like 6

If they'd stayed with the Football Team branding, they would've had to come up with some kind of new helmet design and a better primary logo. I was getting tired of seeing that roundel, the plain W, and the numbers on the plain burgundy helmets by the end of the 2021 season. Everything about those screamed "placeholder" and would not have worked as a permanent brand. 

5 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

That's another What If. If Washington's ownership had changed the name to Commanders but continued the Gibbs-era uniform just used the "W" mark on the helmet, how would that had worked out?

Well, we'd have probably hated it. We'd criticize it for being unimaginative, uninspired, not representative enough of a new era.  It would've represented an opportunity squandered, just like this current set does.

We'd accept those old uniforms now because they're 1,000x better than the actual designs. So we're now at a point where we're longing for what was there before. The hard work is coming up with a fresh identity that represents a new era. That's what they were going for, and for good reason. They just missed -- badly. 

1 minute ago, DCarp1231 said:

Unpopular opinion (likely by a long shot), but this was such a fantastic uniform to build from

spacer.png

I think that would have been awesome if they had the guts to stick with Washington Football Team.

I was a fan of that jersey/pants combo, especially that exact shade of burgundy.  My only issue was the helmet.

Making the helmet a shade of burgundy that matched the darker shade on the jerseys and adding a logo/striping (similar to their 2002 throwback below) would've worked.

spacer.png

Alternatively, making their main helmet a leather patterned one similar to what they wore in 2012 would've been a gutsy choice if they decided to go with the WFT name permanently. It also would've  made the "Football Team" name seem like  a call back to the early days of the game when mascots or team named didn't matter as much, rather than just a placeholder. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

WFT was in line with global football club naming, so I was fine with it. And in a league with dangerous birds and words that end in S, "WFT" was different. I miss it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags