2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

On 9/10/2022 at 9:40 PM, Kevin W. said:

Every single team is a for-profit business. Do you think that they've never done something more unethical than having an ad on the jerseys?

Having ads on the jerseys isn't as unethical as the virtual player slavery and union-busting back in the day.

Short-term profit at the expense of the integrity of your brand isn't always a smart business decision. The Yankees could have made a fortune by selling the naming rights to their new stadium, but they felt it was better for their brand to keep the classic name on the new building.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

What the Leafs would look like with ads...

tccx16O.png

Or, more likely;

img-3508365-m.png

...exactly like their AHL club with a swapped logo.

Remember, the NHL has; TV revenue, ticket revenue, merchandise and licensing revenue, advertising revenue from the boards, advertising revenue from the ice...a lot of other revenue streams to bring in the cash. The reason junior and Euro leagues do it is because they don't generally have nearly as much revenue generation as the NHL; thus, the amount of ads seems more appealing since that means more income.

It's not an "inevitability" that jersey ads will become Euro-level if it hasn't even happened in the NHL's minor league that's had ads since the 2000's;

spacer.png

• Like 2

Isn't it funny, then, that despite the presumption that they would "need" the ad revenue as much as if not more than the minor leagues, the CHL major junior leagues seem to lack uniform ads entirely?
2021-Hitmen-Draft-class-1024x455.jpg

And heck, even going a level lower to the junior-A AJHL, none whatsoever. 
Fbs3FlcaAAAiqTF.jpg
Even considering the fact that these leagues barely play their players anything, if they pay anything at all, it would be a safe assumption that the income and budget franchises in these leagues have is incredibly low, especially post-pandemic, wouldn't it? (The last Calgary Canucks game I went to was 6 years ago, and even before COVID the building was half-full at best and their goal horn was tape recorded.) And yet they still haven't sold out to on-uniform advertising.

I didn't want to just answer with the same-old "look at Europe" slippery slope argument, which I still think will happen, eventually, if there isn't enough fan pushback on it now; I just thought this was all very interesting.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, mcj882000 said:

Isn't it funny, then, that despite the presumption that they would "need" the ad revenue as much as if not more than the minor leagues, the CHL major junior leagues seem to lack uniform ads entirely?
2021-Hitmen-Draft-class-1024x455.jpg

Fbs3FlcaAAAiqTF.jpg
Even considering the fact that these leagues barely play their players anything, if they pay anything at all, it would be a safe assumption that the income and budget franchises in these leagues have is incredibly low, especially post-pandemic, wouldn't it? (The last Calgary Canucks game I went to was 6 years ago, and even before COVID the building was half-full at best and their goal horn was tape recorded.) And yet they still haven't sold out to on-uniform advertising.

I didn't want to just answer with the same-old "look at Europe" slippery slope argument, which I still think will happen, eventually, if there isn't enough fan pushback on it now; I just thought this was all very interesting.

I'll add to this, to further elaborate why I think ads on uniforms is a croc of 💩 that only benefits the ones that need it the least.

Major profitable corporations who are high priority sponsors will always have first dibs for ad space on the players in the spots that are the most visible. The companies who make less money, many of which who were hit hard by the pandemic, will have to settle for their same tiny little space on the arena boards.

And then when other big companies see what's happening, they're going to want in as well. So, chances are it will start with one small ad, and then the NHL may turn into the Euro League. It feels like these execs have a juvenile mentality, wanting to show off that they make more billions than all the other billionaires.

7 hours ago, Chromatic said:

The argument that it won't turn into Euro-league levels of advertising never made much sense to me, considering it was the same justification for why there wouldn't be ads on the uniforms at all.

It's really incredible how the mentality of having either uniform ads or incessant commercials, but not both, has been collectively forgotten. People just accept both now and get really annoyed if you complain that things used to be better.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 9/9/2022 at 5:42 PM, spartacat_12 said:

Otherwise I'm not sure why they felt the need to add hands to the clock when they weren't on the original logo.

I thought about that too, but maybe they did so that other people would know that it's a clock tower? 30 years ago when Ottawa was launching a team, maybe that level of detail wasn't necessary - but perhaps now they are thinking of outside audiences (especially in the U.S.) looking at it and not realizing what the Peace Tower is.

Changing gears a bit - and maybe this has been covered before - but is it just me or do the leaked shirts seem to suggest that the Arizona Coyotes are going back to the brick red and sand colours (at least that's what my eyes see in the lettering) for the RR?

I've always liked that colour scheme and thought the Kachina coyote would look good in those colours - does anyone else think that's what's going to happen here? Maybe they are taking their old black alternate with the running coyote and putting the space coyote head on there instead in those old colours? Would look nice!

spacer.png

excellent job screwing up a classic uniform.  All for a few bucks a billionaire doesn’t need at all.  

this one is really bad.  It’s a contrasting color to the main jersey.  It’s huge and ugly as hell.  Absolutely pathetic new ad program for the NHL.  Just trashing classic brands.  

• Like 2
  • Hurl 2
  • Hate 4

1 hour ago, Ricky_Roby said:

I've always liked that colour scheme and thought the Kachina coyote would look good in those colours - does anyone else think that's what's going to happen here? Maybe they are taking their old black alternate with the running coyote and putting the space coyote head on there instead in those old colours? Would look nice

Looks like the burnt orange used on the Kachina third jerseys. Probably will be a black version of the 2020-21 RR. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Like the originals, the 2022-23 New York Islanders Reverse Retro jersey will have waves at the bottom, which will be orange and white. But underneath the waves will not be the color teal. The only teal part of the 2022-23 Reverse Retro will be at the bottom part of the crest, like in the original.

Unlike in the original Fisherman pieces, the 2022-23 Reverse Retro will not contain the Lighthouse shoulder patches, with no shoulder patches at all.

Also, a change is being made to the Fisherman logo itself.

In the original, the Fisherman on the crest has an orange face with a grey beard. The Fanatics leak showcased a Fisherman with a blue face and a grey beard.

But on the 2022-23 Reverse Retro Fisherman-inspired sweaters, the Fisherman’s face will be…drumroll please…grey.

https://nyihockeynow.com/new-york-islanders-2022-23-reverse-retro-jersey-fisherman-updates-fanatics/

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

10 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

The CHL doesn't have any regular jersey ads to my knowledge (minus some special event jerseys for some events that are sponsored), but Jr. A definitely does. Maybe not the Canucks, but ads are all over the Jr. A circuit and have been for years. These pictures are from three different leagues, including the AJHL.

SAM.jpg

69ea3a97ac798a1951b643ecff5caac5797f6958

20191230-eagles-vs-bandits-0299.jpg;w=96

IbjBaeE.png

49 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

excellent job screwing up a classic uniform.  All for a few bucks a billionaire doesn’t need at all.  

this one is really bad.  It’s a contrasting color to the main jersey.  It’s huge and ugly as hell.  Absolutely pathetic new ad program for the NHL.  Just trashing classic brands.  

Absolute sacrilege. 

• Like 3

sig.png

1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

I'm glad it's not KHL level of cringe (yet). But I'm still in agreement with you that it's a needless addition and a big downgrade, compared to ad-free jerseys.

On the day Nick Suzuki was named team Captain to univeral acclaim, they also received the complete opposite reaction when unveiling their new jersey ads sponsor.

I could tell that they're feeling the heat of the negative comments because they have to bring up the CHC Kids Foundation, to justify jersey ads. Sponsors have been helpful before, even pre-ads. The youth aid organization has been up and running for a while. The ads only bring the uniforms down.

It's a disgrace how it sticks out more than the CH logo itself, the same logo that was worn by legends like Jacques Plante, Guy Lafleur, Maurice Richard, Saku Koivu, etc.

Imagine the Yankees with a big ugly red Papa John's patch slapped on the front of the most sacred baseball uniform of all-time. 🤢🤮

• Hate 1

For each official jersey with the RBC logo sold on site at the team's official store, Tricolore Sports, RBC will donate $20 to the Montreal Canadiens Children's Foundation, which encourages physical activity and the adoption of a healthy lifestyle among underprivileged youth in Quebec.

It's bad enough that they're desecrating one of the most beloved jerseys in sports history, but they're also guilting their fans into buying jerseys with the ad on it. Guess they want a big, fat tax write-off to go with their shiny new ad revenue.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

I’m not a Habs fan by any stretch, but seeing a blue and yellow ad patch on that red sweater seems almost blasphemous.

• Like 4