2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

2 hours ago, Sport said:

Black pants would've been the safe move and it would've looked good and we know that because teal numbers with black pants is what they've done since day one. I applaud the decision to use teal pants because it's trying something new and if we're using teal pants then I like black numbers over teal. 

How do you feel about the Blackhawks' use of black numbers on their white jerseys? I've always thought red with black outlines would've been the better way to go.

Red numbers with black outlines would definitely work on the Blackhawks' whites because red is their primary dark colour. Like the Flyers do the same thing with orange, the Stars do with green(without any black outlines) and also the Rangers do the same with royal blue with a red 3D drop shadow outline while wearing red pants.

The thing is, is with the Blackhawks, the black font on their whites matches their black pants.  They also wear black helmets with their reds to match their pants. It's the same thing with the Canadiens and their royal blue. Blue numbers with red outlines to match their blue pants on their whites while using blue helmets to match the pants on their reds.

When the pants colour is that particular team's primary dark colour, the font on their white set should be the same colour.

What the Sharks mistakenly did by using black font on their whites would be like the Canucks using green font on their whites or the Islanders doing the same thing with orange when the latter two teams both wear all-royal blue.

7 hours ago, Sport said:

How do you feel about the Blackhawks' use of black numbers on their white jerseys? I've always thought red with black outlines would've been the better way to go.

I like it the way it is. Every concept I've seen that tries to switch to red numbers looks wrong and unbalanced to me. My theory as to why this is, other than 32 years of familiarity with the Blackhawks, is that putting black ahead of red on the white sweater helps the Indian Head jump out even more. Red numbers on the sleeves and back would almost feel like trying to match the copper tone as best they could -- see also, every concept that strips the Indian Head down to red/black/white. This way, you have a relatively austere white and black sweater with a big splash of color in the front. Does that make any sense?

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's nice to see that the Hurricanes will actually wear a half-decent jersey besides the Whalers throwback for the first time in too long. Carolina's throwback to me is a case of "you don't know what you got until it's gone". Carolina's jerseys have gone completely downhill in the past decade.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 12:40 AM, Klondyke said:

spacer.png

Too similar for my taste 

also, all the anniversary patches/celebrations have gone overboard.

you don't put patches on MLB, NHL jerseys every 5 or 10, 15, 20 years.

So ridiculous! 

you do it at 25, 50, 75, 100,  etc !!

Because it you don't,  you will have 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 , 35, 40 year patches.... one every 5 years!

come on man!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

When the pants colour is that particular team's primary dark colour, the font on their white set should be the same colour.

Is that in the bible? I don't like making rules like that because it limits options and creativity and also the Sharks themselves followed that rule for their entire history. We've already seen them do the black pants/teal numbers so if they're going to use teal pants then why not try the inverse of that? At worst, I don't think it's a decision that ruins the uniform. 

20 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

What the Sharks mistakenly did by using black font on their whites would be like the Canucks using green font on their whites or the Islanders doing the same thing with orange when the latter two teams both wear all-royal blue.

I wouldn't call it a mistake because it's was a deliberate choice. It was more like if the Canucks switched to green jerseys/pants/helmets/socks at home and then made the number blue on their white jerseys. I didn't like these Hurricanes uniforms, but I liked the decision to use black numbers because it made the whole uniform less red heavy. 

People keep asking "why didn't they wear black pants and teal numbers and gray stripes and stop using the new logo and use the original logo instead?" That's just the 1991 throwbacks. You're talking about the throwbacks. What I see is a balance of franchise heritage with trying some new ideas. If too many elements are too similar to the original unis then you might as well just use the original unis and I would've loved that too, but they're not trying to do a direct throwback and since they're not trying to do a direct throwback I like the moves they made. It's like that white Kings alternate I posted a few pages back - it's so close to the Gretzky uniforms without being the Gretzky uniforms that it sits in this uncanny valley of sort of resembling, sort of not and it feels incorrect. That would've been these Sharks uniforms with black striped pants. 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Leafs have announced their jersey ad for this season.

spacer.png

If the league insists on ad patches, this is about as inoffensive as they can be. Can't wait for all the sour milk jokes when they inevitably collapse in the first round again.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Hurl 4
  • Meh 2
  • Huh? 1
  • Dislike 1
  • Hate 3

36 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

If the league insists on ad patches, this is about as inoffensive as they can be. Can't wait for all the sour milk jokes when they inevitably collapse in the first round again.

It's so stupid I like it. But that may have more to do with my disdain for the Leafs. 

Looking forward to the memes.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

54 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

where will the cup patch go?

• LOL 2

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Well that's just dumb.

I mean, at least put Ontario Dairy or something.

I've never understood the need to market a grocery staple in this way. In the '80s, the whole "Got Milk?" campaign came to be as defense against sugary sodas, which was apparently cutting into milk sales. But as a consumer, I've never needed a reminder that milk is a thing and that I need to buy it. It's not like I suddenly would start putting orange juice in my Cheerios in the morning. 

It would be different if it were a certain brand of milk, but the idea of marketing milk in general has always felt odd to me. And if it is necessary, why stop there? Do they have a "butter" campaign? Why don't they put "milk" on the home jerseys, "butter" on the away and "cheese" on the alternates? 

Ok, that's the end of my dairy rant. Thanks for stopping by. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, charger77 said:

New material for the shield patch on the collar?

Just for the Reverse Retros I think. Vintage logo, vintage application.

Also, Golden Knights are confirmed to be going gold at home this season. Not a fan as I think they are too gaudy to be a primary home set, but I wouldn't expect anything less from a Las Vegas team. Grays sticking around, but as an alternate. Change to the pants situation as well.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

The breast of the jersey is as inoffensive as it can be?

• Dislike 1