2022 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVII

canzman

1 hour ago, Durden said:

One thing is for sure - the shade of green the Eagles use sure is fugly. I wish they would change their uniforms back to the ones they wore during the Randall Cunningham era.

We’ll at least get to see what those look like this year.

3 hours ago, Durden said:

One thing is for sure - the shade of green the Eagles use sure is fugly. I wish they would change their uniforms back to the ones they wore during the Randall Cunningham era.

I'll agree to an extent -- this uniform looked better when the jerseys had some sheen to them, but in Nike's flat fabric it looks drab. 

But, if you can look past that, I see those unis as a modern classic. They were introduced in the mid 90s, have only been tweaked here or there, but have no weird design gimmicks, a very unique but legible number font, and the modern winged helmet is just freaking amazing. 

I don't think playing in State Farm Stadium, which is notorious for bad lighting, helped. 

• Like 4

I actually really like how Philly's green looks on the matte fabric, I think the shiny fabrics made it look too grey at times. I enjoy the higher-saturation look of the newer fabric.

Rich Hofmann: For Eagles, talent is there, but is no match for the 2004 teamThe Philadelphia Eagles are the NFL's last remaining unbeaten for first  time since 2004

I also really like the lighting in that stadium. I'm not a huge fan of the overly bright stadiums, it makes the game feel almost sterile to me like it's being played under hospital lights or something. Having a slightly darker stadium makes it feel more dramatic to me. 

• Like 15
  • Applause 3
  • Dislike 1

I've come around on the matte look.  I used to think the shinier fabric looked better and more "green", but I like how the matte is more uniform, as opposed to the differences in the shoulder fabric and mesh of the old style. 

I think my initial hate of the matte was due to my lifetime of knowing what a football jersey is "supposed" to look like, and not accepting any challenges to that (fwiw, I grew up playing with the super-wide mesh-holed jerseys with heavy shoulders/sleeves,)

The thing I dislike about the matte is that it prevents teams from having sleek silver or gold pants, unless they're willing to accept a clash in materials, which I thin wouldn't look good.

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

23 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I've come around on the matte look.  I used to think the shinier fabric looked better and more "green", but I like how the matte is more uniform, as opposed to the differences in the shoulder fabric and mesh of the old style. 

I think my initial hate of the matte was due to my lifetime of knowing what a football jersey is "supposed" to look like, and not accepting any challenges to that (fwiw, I grew up playing with the super-wide mesh-holed jerseys with heavy shoulders/sleeves,)

The thing I dislike about the matte is that it prevents teams from having sleek silver or gold pants, unless they're willing to accept a clash in materials, which I thin wouldn't look good.

I agree on matte being the superior look over the shiny early '2000s fabrics. I can't see those uniforms without thinking of the Fubu streetwear of the era. 

My issue with the Eagles isn't the fabric as much as the shade of green. While the matte fabric leads to a more uniform color, the particular shade can veer too closely into teal category. Meanwhile, the helmets, under certain lighting, can be difficult to distinguish between the green and black. 

I'm not sure I'd advocate for going full retro with the Eagles, but I'd be OK if the uniforms stayed largely the same but with a more vibrant shade of green. 

• Like 6

I always have & probably always will prefer the matte fabrics (maybe metallic gold & silver pants could work, I’d have to see it in action), but last night convinced me that the Eagles green now looks too dark.

That could be remedied by replacing black with a regular silver (not charcoal), or lightening up the shade itself a bit, or, preferably, both.  But right now, the Eagles look is way too drab, and I say that as someone who prefers the midnight green for them.

• Like 6
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, fouhy12 said:

I think a midnight green and silver identity would look good for Philly. Drop the black and charcoal accents, focus on midnight green as the primary, and add silver pants. 

The charcoal really adds nothing to the overall look. Doesn't offer any real contrast with the green and black. Just a pointless color. 

• Like 5

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The charcoal really adds nothing to the overall look. Doesn't offer any real contrast with the green and black. Just a pointless color. 

I'm really not sure why they even went with charcoal over silver.  The only justification for charcoal would be if they dropped silver and darkened everything to the charcoal color - which would probably be awful (though the thought of charcoal wings and pants is intriguing to me, though it would probably suck.)  There's no need for both - just go with silver.

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I could see the argument for charcoal over black. The issue, though, is that it's about the same brightness as the midnight green, so they blend together. 

Keep charcoal for in-stadium and social media branding and merch if you want, but it just doesn't work next to midnight green on a football uniform. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

I think a midnight green and silver identity would look good for Philly. Drop the black and charcoal accents, focus on midnight green as the primary, and add silver pants. 

Would be nice. 

Wonder if they would be more or less inclined to do it since there will be silver pants for the throwbacks this year.

I hoping this year or next when they add the new wordmark that an overall tweaked update comes with it.

• Like 3

The charcoal addition was soooo strange. I'm not sure I can think of a justification other than that in the late 90s/2000s moving from brighter to deeper colorways was all the rage (Patriots, Bucs, Rams, Eagles, Bills, Seahawks, etc) and it was nothing more than a sprinkle on top of that trend...

...but really odd it came years after the original rebrand and was so subtle that it was almost unnoticeable outside of people like us. There should be no conversation about enhancing its presence in the set, because not only does it just muddy them up more, it shouldn't have been added to begin with. 

• Like 4

On 2/13/2023 at 9:38 AM, fouhy12 said:

I actually really like how Philly's green looks on the matte fabric, I think the shiny fabrics made it look too grey at times. I enjoy the higher-saturation look of the newer fabric.

Rich Hofmann: For Eagles, talent is there, but is no match for the 2004 teamThe Philadelphia Eagles are the NFL's last remaining unbeaten for first  time since 2004

I've long hated Philly's uniforms, but seeing them walk out on Sunday gave me a new appreciation for them.  If they updated the wordmark to the new one and got rid of the horrific number font, they could keep these and would be just fine.  It's truly the wordmark/number font that makes these feel dated; change them out, and it's actually a very clean, solid look. 

Wouldn't hurt to add a Green or Green/Black sock, though the White didn't bother me as much as I thought it would in this game.  They should throw their Black jerseys, pants, sock & helmet in the trash forever, though.  Have they ever worn Green socks with their Green jerseys/White pants combo?  

1 hour ago, Volt said:

I've long hated Philly's uniforms, but seeing them walk out on Sunday gave me a new appreciation for them.  If they updated the wordmark to the new one and got rid of the horrific number font, they could keep these and would be just fine.  It's truly the wordmark/number font that makes these feel dated; change them out, and it's actually a very clean, solid look. 

Wouldn't hurt to add a Green or Green/Black sock, though the White didn't bother me as much as I thought it would in this game.  They should throw their Black jerseys, pants, sock & helmet in the trash forever, though.  Have they ever worn Green socks with their Green jerseys/White pants combo?  

They did at the very beginning of this brand's life cycle, back in 1996:

default.jpg?x=99494

RJRoW8zLMqmLQQmI=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

sep-1996-kicker-gary-anderson-of-the-phi

Why they've never worn midnight green socks since then is beyond me.

All that said, all those pictures, and especially most since before the matte-fabric jerseys, illustrate the main issue with their midnight green: whether in sunlight or under lights, far too often the color appears closer to a dull gray. If they ratcheted up the shade a couple notches, that might alleviate (some of) that problem. Left to me, they'd be purely [a brighter shade of midnight] green, silver, and white. 

And since we're still discussing the Eagles...I know it'll happen eventually, but I personally would/will hate to see their current Dharma Slab-inspired number/NOB font go. Without really having a good way to explain it right now, there's something quite, well, "federal-ish" about it--fitting for a team that plays in what was the nation's original capital city. As long as the next set doesn't overdo the design cues--or try too cute a spin on otherwise straightforward block--we should be alright. 

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, tBBP said:

fitting for a team that plays in what was the nation's original capital city. As long as the next set doesn't overdo the design cues--or try too cute a spin on otherwise straightforward block--we should be alright. 

Technically, New York was the first capital once the constitution was ratified.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

Hasn't there been two variations of midnight green Eagles uniforms? Think at some point the number outlines and pants stripes were changed during the McNabb era.

Those first few years the Eagles' uniforms went through several changes (along with the 49ers, Ravens, and Saints of the same time frame)--but yes, the numbers went from simply outlined to outlined and drop-shadowed somewhere around the turn of the century. (they may have also been thinned down just a tad to accommodate the extra adornments.) The pants stripe changed some, too, from the braishers in the above photos to at one point one solid black stripe (or maybe those were the prototypes--I may be misremembering), to eventually the Reds--er, former Washington Football Team-esque pants stripes that they wear today. Where the charcoal showed up in all that I don't remember, probably around the same time as the dropshadows if I had to guess. 

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||