2022 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVII

canzman

14 hours ago, VikWings said:

It's amazing how much sports merchandizing has gone to crap since the fanatics monopoly. Seems the only jerseys you can get with a Super Bowl patch anywhere are crappy gray fashion jerseys. Jerseys the teams are actually wearing are nowhere to be found.

Not sure if it's a Fanatics problem or a Nike problem, but its so stupid either way. And I'd be pissed if I was a fan of either of those teams looking for one.

Look again, found these on the NFLshop site.  They mightve sold out of the Mahomes red Super Bowl jersey and Eagles jerseys?

https://www.nflshop.com/kansas-city-chiefs/mens-kansas-city-chiefs-travis-kelce-nike-red-super-bowl-lvii-patch-game-jersey/t-25712581+p-9425925588753+z-9-2829943295?_ref=p-DLP:m-GRID:i-r0c0:po-0

https://www.nflshop.com/kansas-city-chiefs/mens-kansas-city-chiefs-chris-jones-nike-red-super-bowl-lvii-patch-game-jersey/t-25374714+p-9481032244315+z-9-4224022713?_ref=p-DLP:m-GRID:i-r0c1:po-1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Still not much better though considering the Chiefs won't be wearing their red jerseys for the game.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Yea but they're red. The Chiefs are wearing white. I'm not sure if they even made any in white. I know it was a problem last year with the Rams.

Even in the case that Eagles green jerseys are sold out, considering that Fanatics controls NFLShop, Lids and a few other places now you're options are limited for other sites to try. Hell there's not even many brick and morter stores you can even go to any more.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Same thing happened last year. Rams fans wanted the white jersey but most places had the blue one.

I mean I'm no business or marketing major but you would think the first thing you'd want to put out in mass is the jerseys the teams are actually wearing and stock the most of them and then worry about the teams other jerseys or fashions ones. I mean you can even just iron the patch on existing stock.

• Like 3

Yeah the NFL Super Bowl patch jerseys have been a mess for years and I don’t quite understand why.

It was honestly better back in the day. I remember when the Falcons made it the first time in the 1998 season, my dad was able to go to a street vendor that had the Pro Line merchandise (when there were several officially licensed merchandise providers) and he was able to get a black screen printed Falcons jersey with the Super Bowl logo. That set up was better because there were plenty of options with multiple manufacturers.

Given that Nike is the sole provider now, they should be able to provide the product because the consumer no longer has anywhere else to go. It’s the only option in town. I remember the second time they made it (that game, 28-3), they had selections of both home and away Nike jerseys, which made no sense since they would only wear one of the designs.

For a league that dictates who the home and away teams are long in advance, the NFL should require teams inform them months in advance which color they would wear if they make it to the Super Bowl. That shouldn’t be too much of an ask since teams already know whether they’ll be home or away. You may have the oddball team like the Broncos or Pats who feel superstitious because they’ve worn titles in white and they may request that, but they can decide that in advance. Or in the case of the Rams that year they wore throwbacks, they settled that with the league prior to the season. Same rules should apply to the postseason.

This would allow Nike to ensure they have stock on hand to fulfill the product. They would be able to eliminate half of the inventory by knowing X team will not be wearing X color. It shouldn’t be a difficult job. Nike would have known the Chiefs were in white and the Eagles in green, so they’d be able to have Mahomes, Kelce, Hurts, Devonta Smith, etc in the proper colors that the teams are actually wearing rather than selling useless red Chiefs jerseys. It should be as simple as pulling their current inventory out and ironing on patches. Easy.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2023 at 9:58 PM, insert name said:

Why did the NFL become so allergic to conference logos? This shouldn't be so hard. 

The brand for the game is bigger than the league itself at this point, let alone the two conferences.  This event is not made for football fans; its made for every man, woman, and child alive.  I wouldn't be surprised if, out of the 100 million people worldwide who tune in, only a small percentage of them even know what the 'A' and 'N' even are supposed to mean at this point. To vast majority of viewers, it's just visual clutter on the field that leaves them spending more time thinking about what these mysterious markings are supposed to mean than about how sweet it would be to be sipping on an ice cold Bud Light or going for a smooth drive on some quality Bridgestone tires right about now. The brand is paramount, and clutter is bad for the brand,  so they simplified.

• Like 9

I remember back in ‘04 when Eagles made it, they ran out of Eagles jerseys so they used white Raiders jerseys and applied the eagles numbers and wordmark. The giveaway was the lack of cuff trim.  So this has been an issue for nearly 20 years, across multiple vendors. 

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 2/8/2023 at 5:09 PM, BBTV said:

I remember back in ‘04 when Eagles made it, they ran out of Eagles jerseys so they used white Raiders jerseys and applied the eagles numbers and wordmark. The giveaway was the lack of cuff trim.  So this has been an issue for nearly 20 years, across multiple vendors. 

Most people don't understand quite how difficult it is to make accurate projections and source & manufacture product needed to hit both projections and "hot market" needs.  It's one reason why Nike is now in bed with Fanatics & Gildan.

They don't just call the warehouse out back and say, "hey, we need 20,000 more units.  They can be done by Friday?  GREAT!"

It's 2023 and we have the greatest technology mankind has ever created and it's still a crapshoot sometimes.  You just don't know how much you'll need and there are things that exist called "budgets" so you can't just order an infinite supply of product to sit around collecting dust in warehouses, and there are still challenges worldwide in certain manufacturing industries, apparel being one of them, with sourcing fabrics and getting construction done in pre-COVID timelines.

• Like 3

One thing that's interesting is how different the wordmarks are. You get some teams where the mark is really short and tall so it fills the space well vertically but leaves a lot of horizontal space. 

You get marks like the old Eagles arched lettering that leaves negative space.

I wonder if it might be an interesting idea to kinda do what Madden used to do which was use the teams regular home end zone designs. Maybe just ask them to apply a team color as the base but let the team greenskeepers have a go at it.

With two different groups doing the end zones there's a slight chance of a "Who are the Chefs" moment but it would be cool to see the two clubs contrasted more directly.

• Like 1