MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

2 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

Yankees wore pinstripes for both, Sox went white game one, red with white pabnts game 2. Sox were the home team for both. Initially it was home-and-home but the Yankees have a weird clause in their lease that forbids them playing home games outside of NYC. 

Wow...  That's a crazy rigmarole that I don't remember a thing about.  Pre-Pandemic really is a lifetime ago, isn't it?

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 6/25/2023 at 3:14 AM, hormone said:

Can a collector verify if it would be more rare/valuable?  While I have you jersey guys attention…if you buy an authentic and the team has a rotating patch cause of an ad, does the sleeve patch come standard or on the sleeve of the player you bought the jersey for? 

Standard on the left sleeve, no matter where the player has it.

Julio R.  CC jersey

https://i.ibb.co/LQcz4hm/20230604-111854.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/mz6XQPc/20230604-111952.jpg

and Julio has it on his right sleeve... bummer for me! (and others who purchased it)

-

Astros CC jerseys

https://i.ibb.co/gm2wFk4/IMG-20230513-094809.jpg

A fun little detail, the piping is not the same on the Astros CC jerseys,   it all depends on where it was cut  to be placed on the jersey....  something to look out for the next time they wear them 🙂

https://i.ibb.co/fFCq9GX/IMG-20230513-095342.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/YB60wqJ/IMG-20230513-095357.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/hDbQt0k/IMG-20230513-095200.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/cC9F29P/IMG-20230513-095208.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/bF0GgxW/IMG-20230513-094733.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/JQKf70x/IMG-20230513-094741.jpg

• Like 1

My word, I gotta find a picture, but the pirates are in action with their CC uniforms and the batting helmet looks like a DIY amateur job. It is half yellow with the giant PGH and the brim and flaps are black. 

• WOAH 1
KISSwall09.jpg

5 minutes ago, hormone said:

My word, I gotta find a picture, but the pirates are in action with their CC uniforms and the batting helmet looks like a DIY amateur job. It is half yellow with the giant PGH and the brim and flaps are black. 

5nBoGjw.jpeg

IRay499.jpeg

Spoiler

Kornheiser_Why.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • WOAH 1
  • Hurl 7
  • Facepalm 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It's disgraceful what Nike is doing to MLB right now. I know the teams are involved too, but it's not a total surprise that people involved with the team side of things may give thumbs up to some ridiculous concepts. 

It really is on the professional design team at the manufacturer to have some taste. In the NFL, NBA and now MLB, too much just looks like it's half assed or mailed in

• Like 6

On field it looks like the uniform for a generic Pittsburgh team in an unlicensed futuristic-themed baseball game for cell phones. Especially with those helmets.

EDIT: Okay, this is probably a generous read of the situation, but... Considering everything about the jersey and theme and everything, I'm wondering if it's meant to resemble the dirt and grime and soot that would build up on a steelworker's hard hat?

• Like 3

oBIgzrL.png

1 hour ago, aawagner011 said:

Here are some better quality photos.

Worst batting helmet in major league history? I recall we had the Mets blue and black helmet about 15-20 years ago but this is worse.

aK1LMCp.png

• LOL 3

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Y'all I imagine that professional designers have taste. Certainly not all, but at least some. I'd assume that most professional designers behind these jerseys have at least some interest in the history of jerseys and knowledge of good uniforms. I also believe that they are more than capable of creating tasteful uniforms when they desire to.

With that being said, Nike and/or the team will have an idea of which way they want a jersey to go and likely give their designers criteria or guidelines on what they want from the jersey. While these designers know what a good uniform looks like, you may struggle to create a good uniform when given specific requirements from your employer. It's probably not easy to create the best looking jersey when your deliverables are centered around attention-grabbing elements and gimmicks meant to drive up sales. While disappointing to all of us uni-nerds, sales come first and looks come second, and that's reflected in Nike's message to their designers. This isn't anything new by now, but it seems relevant.

In short, professional designers can probably make good uniforms, but it's going to be difficult when you are being paid to create a uniform with merchandise and sales among the general public as your main focus.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, fortunat1 said:

Y'all I imagine that professional designers have taste. Certainly not all, but at least some. I'd assume that most professional designers behind these jerseys have at least some interest in the history of jerseys and knowledge of good uniforms. I also believe that they are more than capable of creating tasteful uniforms when they desire to.

With that being said, Nike and/or the team will have an idea of which way they want a jersey to go and likely give their designers criteria or guidelines on what they want from the jersey. While these designers know what a good uniform looks like, you may struggle to create a good uniform when given specific requirements from your employer. It's probably not easy to create the best looking jersey when your deliverables are centered around attention-grabbing elements and gimmicks meant to drive up sales. While disappointing to all of us uni-nerds, sales come first and looks come second, and that's reflected in Nike's message to their designers. This isn't anything new by now, but it seems relevant.

In short, professional designers can probably make good uniforms, but it's going to be difficult when you are being paid to create a uniform with merchandise and sales among the general public as your main focus.

I was with you until the end here. The crazy part about the Pirates is that everything from the cap to the jersey, and even the pants (the one team that can get away with black) fits within their brand. It’s fairly sterile and generic but still recognizable and feels like a Pirates uniform. But the cap and the jersey are what sell merchandise. They have a City Connect set that probably falls somewhere from a C to a B-.  It’s not great but out of the many other City Connects, it’s pretty harmless. And then they go and completely botch the one single element (batting helmet) that doesn’t impact retail sales and doesn’t match the cap. They’ve shown they can pull off sublimation on ball caps with the Pittsburgh pattern, so someone made a conscious decision to deviate from the cap design and add the gradient to the helmet. Not just that, but they also used the PGH wordmark instead of the regular cap logo. Make it make sense!

• Like 5

I actually like that the Bucs used "PGH" on their batting helmets because, at the very least, it's more unique than the cap design, which just feels like an afterthought to a uniform that didn't seem to have a ton of thought put into it in general. 

But yeah, that gradient is horrendous. 

The helmets are a mess, but within the City Connect confines … I actually like the Pirates' set, probably because they look like the Pirates. The color blocking has historical significance with the franchise, the hat and jersey could both pretty easily be mixed-and-matched with other elements of their uniform set, and there's nothing really over-the-top about the design.

I still like the Angels and Marlins sets above anyone's because I think they're both really nice jerseys that could serve as primary designs, but beyond that, give me sets like the Pirates and White Sox that fit really well with the existing brand over maybe better looks that don't fit with the overall brand.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

6fQjS3M.png

Not that anyone cares but since we ratin' City Connects thus far...I gotta say that so far, given what this whole rigmarole is/was supposed to be about, I say the Rangers have the best one.

Behind them, probably the Mariners...after that, a whole bunch of "naw, dawg" from me. 

Spoiler

Until someone inevitably posts one that I forgot about that actually looks halfway decent...

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, tBBP said:

Not that anyone cares but since we ratin' City Connects thus far...I gotta say that so far, given what this whole rigmarole is/was supposed to be about, I say the Rangers have the best one.

Behind them, probably the Mariners...after that, a whole bunch of "naw, dawg" from me. 

Reveal hidden contents

Until someone inevitably posts one that I forgot about that actually looks halfway decent...

The Braves are good, tho one could say they kinda cheated.