NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

1 minute ago, Sykotyk said:

And for anyone arguing about other sports, NBA uses all numbers. While college still uses the 0-5, 10-15, 20-25, 30-35, 40-45, and 50-55 designation so refs can hand signal which players were called for a foul (or has that changed?)

I believe the NCAA just changed that designation this season. All numbers are now open in college.

• Like 2

No non-qb should ever be wearing 7, 12, and maybe 16. Those are the classic WB numbers of the majority of classic QB photos.  Seeing Hassan Reddick in 7 makes me want to puke. Even kickers look odd in 7. 

a starting qb should be able to take whatever number he wants from anyone, regardless of league rules., unless the number is retired. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's weird how there's a mental hierarchy about which positions should get to wear which numbers.

The funny thing is when the NFL first instituted the change, it was based on how close you were to the ball laterally if you were on offense (QB in the single digits or teens, backfield in the 20's or 30's, Center in the 50's, Guards in the 60's, Tackles in the 70's, ends/WR in the 80's) while the defense had something similar but with higher numbers closer to the ball/scrimmage line (down linemen 70-99, Linebacker 50-69, Defensive Backs 20-49).

Now certain numbers convey certain status with single digits being higher followed by teens and so forth.

52 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

John Hadl begs to differ. Or would, if he hadn’t died last year. 

So does Otto Graham, but the rules had been the way they were for nearly 50 years.

By the way, Hadl DID wear 12 for part of his stay in GB.

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

No non-qb should ever be wearing 7, 12, and maybe 16. Those are the classic WB numbers of the majority of classic QB photos.  Seeing Hassan Reddick in 7 makes me want to puke. Even kickers look odd in 7. 

a starting qb should be able to take whatever number he wants from anyone, regardless of league rules., unless the number is retired. 

I think 7 is a valid kicker number, but otherwise I agree. Those particular numbers on non-QB, even in college, look odd as hell to me. Especially 12. That's THE QB number.

But on the flipside; 17, 18, and 19 look odd when they're not on receivers.  Sorry legendary Colts QBs. Blame Harold Carmichael, Charlie Joyner, and Lance Alworth.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

If the Browns are gonna use this at midfield for the second season in a row (which I don't mind), they need to go ahead and make this an official logo.

It is an official logo.

image.png

• Like 5

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Someone with the Browns said that the team was looking into changing to white facemasks back in December 2022 and as you all know they would need to change the primary logo too so it has a  white facemask.

However, the positive reception of the Elf logos has led me to believe that the Elf may be the primary logo if they do change facemasks.

• Like 6

bSLCtu2.png

15 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

If the Browns are gonna use this at midfield for the second season in a row (which I don't mind), they need to go ahead and make this an official logo.

It's an official logo, they need to make it the primary logo. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

No way that would have been approved or not resulted in a law suit.  It's one thing to use the colors (and even that might be risky), but another to basically use the Oilers uniform and slap a new logo on it.  Also the wordmark is too big... at least for an NFL uniform.  I guess it's fine for college.

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."