College Football 2023

Rixaroo

1 hour ago, NH4 said:

4_wide.jpg

8_long.jpg

7_wide.jpg

5_long.jpg

Basically the Barry Sanders uniforms with the updated word mark on the chest and 2 white jerseys. Pretty good

this is a terrific update, when I think of OK State football, this is what I think of. They can always rotate helmet decals and we can get pistol pete sometimes. Just no grey please. 

• Like 4

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Just now, aawagner011 said:

Interesting they go with the stylized wordmark but plain block numbers. I wouldn’t hate a stylized number font similar to the wordmark. It looks classy without being over the top. Two complaints I believe would help a lot:

I wish they would limit the number of helmet decals in rotation. The reveal still shows off multiple designs with two white (classic logo and script Cowboys), orange with script Cowboys, and black Pistol Pete. The script Cowboys does nothing for me. Maybe limit it to the OSU logo and Pete in various colors. Using so many different decals makes the uniform feel less cohesive.

Try to match the weight and thickness of the helmet stripe to the sleeve stripe. The last photo above with the all white uni highlights how they use the same stripe pattern and yet they look very different.

Overall, nice job. Also interesting: this is another team going away from a logo on the collar (Texas was another). Both have chest wordmarks but this could be the start of a trend to more minimalist designs. Maybe teams have seen how cluttered that area can get with patches?

I agree with all of this.

For the helmets, the Cowboys script has always been a Cowboys basketball thing. It was cool as a one-off but I'm not liking it over the OSU brand logo. Pete has always looked a bit awkward on the helmet due to the shape of the logo. Our OSU brand logo is perfect on the helmet. This return to a traditional look would make for the perfect time to dial back the logos used on the helmet and stick to using the brand logo across the board.

For anyone interested, this is what the numbers might have looked like if they matched the wordmark. I think they would need a little more width and weight for a football uniform. As is, the numbers being tall and skinny might've made it difficult to pull off with the wordmark and numbers already being so low on the jersey.

spacer.png

• Like 5

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Really great update overall. I only have a few minor nitpicks, all of which have already been covered here.

The wordmark and numbers being so low does bug me, especially because it was somewhat avoidable (as it was on the Cardinals’ new red jerseys). I’ve mentioned it in the NFL thread, but Nike has an alternate version of the Vapor FUSE template with horizontal seams on either side of the collar instead of the V-shaped seam below it:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Had Nike used that version on the new OkSt jerseys, the wordmark and numbers could’ve been shifted up an inch or two. 

• Like 7

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

30 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

I agree with all of this.

For the helmets, the Cowboys script has always been a Cowboys basketball thing. It was cool as a one-off but I'm not liking it over the OSU brand logo. Pete has always looked a bit awkward on the helmet due to the shape of the logo. Our OSU brand logo is perfect on the helmet. This return to a traditional look would make for the perfect time to dial back the logos used on the helmet and stick to using the brand logo across the board.

For anyone interested, this is what the numbers might have looked like if they matched the wordmark. I think they would need a little more width and weight for a football uniform. As is, the numbers being tall and skinny might've made it difficult to pull off with the wordmark and numbers already being so low on the jersey.

spacer.png

The number font should be Cimmaron. Why can’t we get over our collective obsession with block numbers? If you’re going to go boring with the rest of the template, at least make the NOB and  numbers interesting 

• Like 4

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

1 hour ago, NH4 said:

8_long.jpg

Why does Nike hate pants stripes? If the pants had stripes to match the jersey these new uniforms would be perfect. The Barry Sanders uniforms these are inspired by had pants stripes, although they didn't quite match.

spacer.png

• Like 12

spacer.png

32 minutes ago, burgundy said:

Why does Nike hate pants stripes? If the pants had stripes to match the jersey these new uniforms would be perfect. The Barry Sanders uniforms these are inspired by had pants stripes, although they didn't quite match.

spacer.png

I'd ask why does Oklahoma State hate them. With the exception of the Cardinals red pants and jerseys, there's stripes all over that uniform. And if they decided to match the stripes on the sleeves it would be an even better look. I do miss the collar design, just a tad, but these are better than the previous set. 

43 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Really great update overall. I only have a few minor nitpicks, all of which have already been covered here.

The wordmark and numbers being so low does bug me, especially because it was somewhat avoidable (as it was on the Cardinals’ new red jerseys). I’ve mentioned it in the NFL thread, but Nike has an alternate version of the Vapor FUSE template with horizontal seams on either side of the collar instead of the V-shaped seam below it:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Had Nike used that version on the new OkSt jerseys, the wordmark and numbers could’ve been shifted up an inch or two. 

Outside of experimenting with the Seahawks and this one time with Oregon, have we seen that anywhere else? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

This is an awesome upgrade. Great job by Oklahoma State and Nike. 

As for the numbers not matching the wordmark, that is how the baseball team (who I think got this wordmark first?) does it as well. I would assume basketball is next to get this same number and wordmark treatment.

Trenkle_hat.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'd ask why does Oklahoma State hate them. With the exception of the Cardinals red pants and jerseys, there's stripes all over that uniform. And if they decided to match the stripes on the sleeves it would be an even better look. I do miss the collar design, just a tad, but these are better than the previous set. 

Outside of experimenting with the Seahawks and this one time with Oregon, have we seen that anywhere else? 

Not yet, but it’ll be the version that teams with UCLA stripes get. The catalog version with shoulder stripes has the horizontal seams as well. Based on the retail versions for sale, we’ll at least be seeing it in the NFL this year on the Seahawks, Colts, and Falcons. I have to assume the Falcons requested it because of the large chest wordmark; the Cardinals and OkSt. should’ve done the same. 

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

35 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

White helmet has a classic and attractive stripe.  White pants are blank.  

Fail.  

3_long.jpg

1_long.jpg

With the OSU on the pants, they don't look too bad, but it would have been better if they were on the sides instead of one hip, or if some type of striping was included.  And at least all of the current helmet designs look to be carried over.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Saw on one of the Okstate message boards I visit that “new helmets are also coming but are not in yet.”

Makes sense because these had no helmet bumper in the pictures, and there isn’t much attention paid to the helmets in this release. And all of the helmets shown have already been worn.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

The new template's biggest issue could be solved by the V touching the bottom of the collar, which would allow the wordmark and numbers to be moved up an inch or two and not make the template look bunched below the collar, but Nike clearly wanted to make that part distinct. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

For those, like me, who wished the numbers matched the wordmark: 

So...as much as I love a good quality custom number font,  I think the Cowboys made the right choice here. The Cimarron numbers aren't bad, but I can tell that in about five years' time they'd look dated. Maybe if they toned down the half-serifs and/or widened/vertically shortened them a bit the forms might hold a bit more staying power. But then again it appears they were looking ar recapturing the classic Thurman Thomas/Barry Sanders days, so there's that, too.

• Like 11

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, AndrewMLind said:

For those, like me, who wished the numbers matched the wordmark:

olyqJy8.png

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

So...as much as I love a good quality custom number font,  I think the Cowboys made the right choice here.

Yeah, it seems like too much of a good thing.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

45 minutes ago, VikWings said:

I've still yet to seem a team whose not FSU or Penn St look good in stripe-less pants. And I think even they might be improved with them.

Notre Dame, Michigan, UCLA, and Colorado would like a word with you.

• Like 5

spacer.png

So close yet so far for Oklahoma State. 

Jerseys are an absolute home run, nothing really to complain with there. 

There’s still too many helmets and the full body Pete and Cowboys script will never not look forced. 

Plus as others have pointed out, striping the helmets but not the pants is beyond baffling. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

3 hours ago, VikWings said:

Those OK State unis are fantastic other than the pants not having a stripe.

I've still yet to seem a team whose not FSU or Penn St look good in stripe-less pants. And I think even they might be improved with them.

2 hours ago, burgundy said:

Notre Dame, Michigan, UCLA, and Colorado would like a word with you.

Teams with a stripe-less gold helmet (UCLA, FLA St. Dame, etc.) look good in stripe-less gold pants. Michigan, I think, looks good in stripe-less pants, but that just might be because I'm used to it. My guess is that if Michigan had always had a narrow navy blue pants stripe I'd think it looks good and would have trouble picturing them without it. IMO, that's about it. Every other team I can think of with blank pants would look better in some kind of stripe.

That includes Texas and Penn State. Both have had uniforms with pants stripes, and both definitely looked better...

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10