College Football 2023

Rixaroo

1 hour ago, Rygi13 said:

OSU Grey Uniforms 2023
The white outlines on the numbers really make them pop against the grey. Great look, should be in the annual rotation.
pn1W33z.png

I think a double outline on the numbers would  have worked well in this case. Adding a black outline would match the striping pattern on the rest of the uniform and I think could have the added benefit with readability. The numbers on gray uniforms tend to get lost at any sort of distance.

• Like 6

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

1 hour ago, Rygi13 said:

OSU Grey Uniforms 2023
The white outlines on the numbers really make them pop against the grey. Great look, should be in the annual rotation.
pn1W33z.png

Surprised it took them this long to get to it. I do not mind the Blackout or all Scarlet/White/Gray look once a season thing they've been doing. When they go too far with the alts it can be tragic.

• Like 1

The gray Ohio State set looks very good and doesn’t feel forced, unlike a lot of alternates these days. A solid addition.

———

First look at Georgia’s new white jerseys. We only saw the new red jerseys in the CFP. Also, you’ll notice there’s a box in the back labeled “FA23 Black.” That means they will at least have them on hand. Whether they are worn or not is a different story. Georgia only wore black on the old template with the thick toilet seat collar and then the special 2020 alternate with the dog collar. Despite having the Vapor Untouchable template in both the Bulldog Bold and the 2021 block numbers, neither model was worn besides spring games.

spacer.png

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jerrylawless3 said:

I think for some of the smaller schools without the tradition, it comes down to being cheap and lazy – or maybe not staying up to date with their brand standards or having a solid custom typeface.

I was at Austin Peay while their new brand was still sort of fresh and new, and they took a lot of care into making sure everything aligned with the brand standards. All uses of logos and branding had to go through the Assistant AD of Communication and Brand Advancement for approval – not even just to ensure it was the right logo/colors, but to make sure it was appropriate for the placement. Some assets couldn't be placed on apparel that would be prominently displayed on broadcast, and some could only be used on one uniform set, for example. Unless it was a throwback design, nearly all sports had the custom typeface on uniforms and practice gear. Some teams, mainly football and basketball, would go a little rogue, but overall it helped create a fairly cohesive look across the department.

We had a similar setup when I was in Akron. The branding had already been around for 10 or so years, but it was really locked down. Every team had to use the same custom font for everything. It helped that the base uniforms were built by Adidas, but sent to a local company that added the numbers, names, logos, etc. The school had more control over what was done. Overall the branding went but off the rails until last season, when a xomple overall was done. A new custom font was created and all teams, except football use it. I would assume that was a cost issue. Since that's the largest sport with the most expensive uniforms.

I think you nailed it. It all boils down to how much the school and athletic department care about brand consistency. Some schools just don't care or don't think it's worth the extra time and money.

9 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Oh, sure. Nike has a good template, but no one wants to use it.

Makes sense.

They had it, it had those same stripes like Under Armour,  and LSU and Ole Miss went back to what they had. 

5 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Makes sense.

ImageLSU QB commit Colin Hurley heartfelt message after SEC Championship game |  TigerBait.com

PHOTOS: Ole Miss unveils new uniforms - CBSSports.com

i mean they did. but since the Vapor Untouchable and Vapor Fuse templates have come out, the stripes reverted to the shortened version and the LSU/Ole Miss options aren't offered anymore. 

• Like 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

31 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Makes sense.

LSU and Mississippi used it for, what, 2-3 years? Then they kept the scrunched numbers but moved on from Elite 51 with everyone else. 

Secondary continues to be strength of LSU defense in 2015 | Daily |  lsureveille.com

NFL Draft 2017: Top 5 draft prospects from LSU Football

If teams wanted to shrink up the shoulder loops they can look even better. 

Panthers set to update uniforms ahead of 2023 NFL Draft | Charlotte Observer

Use a width slightly wider than this one, and if you move it away from the sleeve cap you can extend the UCLA stripes down to the same location as those LSU jerseys from 2014. Just use the side seams of the FUSE like UA uses theirs.

Can UCLA and Chip Kelly, after last season's improvements, capitalize on a  Pac-12 prime for the taking? - The Athletic

huaShI8.png

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Very nice from Louisiana Tech! 

Also LOVE the Ohio State alternates, those are kind of a no-brainer and surprised it took them this long to roll them out, but I am annoyed they are wearing them against a team that will be in all-white. 

I would prefer that alternate for them to be a road option, but I understand them wanting to wear it at home. Would have picked an opponent that was likely to be in colored pants and helmets though.

5 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Very nice from Louisiana Tech! 

Also LOVE the Ohio State alternates, those are kind of a no-brainer and surprised it took them this long to roll them out, but I am annoyed they are wearing them against a team that will be in all-white. 

I would prefer that alternate for them to be a road option, but I understand them wanting to wear it at home. Would have picked an opponent that was likely to be in colored pants and helmets though.

They're playing Michigan State, so it's possible they won't go all white. I just posted those to point out the contrast issues the last all grey uniform had. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

36 minutes ago, solvetica said:

New threads for Louisiana Tech

I'm glad the shoulder/UCLA stripes are back. I didnt realize they went away until I looked at their uniform from last year. I'm conflicted on the stripe pattern. On the blue uniform, the stripes used to be W-R-W with no gap in the colors and now they are W-B-R-B-W. The road uniform stripes match the helmet strip so thats neat, but it just looks off on the home uniform. I also miss their red helmet. It made them stand out much more than this white helmet. Below is how they should look in my mind
LA Tech Rolls Past Southern, 54-17, in Home Opener - LA Tech Athletics

• Like 3

On 7/13/2023 at 6:37 PM, monkeypower said:

This from Texas Tech football's local beat writer as Tech is doing a huge reno to their football stadium, including putting in new turf.

Well, all they did was flip the colours of the endzone text.

For a team that has a colour in the name, there's not much of that colour on the field anymore.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

IbjBaeE.png

On 7/20/2023 at 6:39 PM, jerrylawless3 said:

Arkansas State with new uniforms. Looks like they got a hold of the Texans' number font somehow.

adidas uniforms are looking super generic these days; almost like they're subbing out the work to Riddell, because this is what Riddell's high school unis look like.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Well, all they did was flip the colours of the endzone text.

For a team that has a colour in the name, there's not much of that colour on the field anymore.

By the response he received, I thought they might be dropping the bevel.

spacer.png

They have been leaning more into their throwbacks in recent years, and it seems overdue at this point to make that change. Seems like it at least inspired the wordmark in the endzone.

spacer.png

• Like 1

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

6 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

By the response he received, I thought they might be dropping the bevel.

spacer.png

They have been leaning more into their throwbacks in recent years, and it seems overdue at this point to make that change. Seems like it at least inspired the wordmark in the endzone.

spacer.png

The non-bevel was the theory that spread in response to the initial tweet.

The basketball team, from the little I notice on Twitter and around March, seems to use the non-beveled logo pretty much as an alternate but football doesn't besides on the throwbacks.

Personally, I prefer the beveled logo because of the weight and depth the bevels give the logo as opposed to the old logo. Plus the beveling is actually done correctly unlike A&M.

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

5 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Or...

spacer.png

• Like 2