2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

19 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

Part of me wishes they had done something different for the Winter Classic so this could be their full time alternate.  It's that good.  Best use of vintage white I've seen in sometime.

I mean, plenty of teams have taken jerseys from the Stadium Series, Winter Classic or Heritage Classic and subsequently made them into full alternates; Pittsburgh did it in both 2008 and 2011, Chicago did it in 2009, Boston did it in 2016, St. Louis and Ottawa did it in 2018, the Jets did it in 2021.

Would not shock me if Seattle followed in that direction considering how popular these jerseys are, especially since they don't have an alternate at the moment.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Yeah, cream/off-white works in moderation, but I'd have to imagine the league doesn't want the appearance of one of their franchises having a jersey that looks old and unwashed as a full-time jersey.

Plus there's the issue of white balancing for cameras and stuff to consider, as well.

Well the Minnesota Wild have cream/off-white on their home sweaters as a full time look, and there doesn’t seem to be any complaints from the league there. 

Also I’m pretty once you get your camera white balanced, then all of your colors are correct, so it won’t really matter if the jersey is off white. The ice and the boards are so you’d be ok on the balance, and you’d have a spot to balance on. 

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

15 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Well the Minnesota Wild have cream/off-white on their home sweaters as a full time look, and there doesn’t seem to be any complaints from the league there.

Though the Wild don't use the wheat colour for a retro feel, rather to evoke the landscape of MN.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mingjai said:

It was definitely for both. They’ve definitely used the wheat for a retro feel.

Considering that they call it wheat and most of the jerseys that the Wild have worn have been pretty modern and in line with the trends at the time, and the retro scheme for the Wild is now white, green and gold due to the North Stars, it comes across a lot more as a tie in to MN.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 3:06 PM, Morgan33 said:

Part of me wishes they had done something different for the Winter Classic so this could be their full time alternate.  It's that good.  

I agree, but also the Kraken are basically going to get my money immediately when they eventually make a light blue anchor logo alt with the modern striping pattern. Can’t believe they haven’t done it already. 

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

On 12/16/2023 at 11:15 PM, ruttep said:

Is it weird that I absolutely despise dark helmets with primary white jerseys, but I love them when paired with off-white retro looks? I thought Rangers/Bruins looked great tonight.

spacer.png

Imagine how disgusting cream colored helmets would look. Like cigarette smoke stained white appliances. Dark helmets are a necessary evil in this specific case

And it's not like dark helmets look objectively bad, it's just that when you pair them with white jerseys it reminds me of minor league hockey. But when paired with cream jerseys, it just reminds me of NHL outdoor games. And then it doesn't feel cheap anymore, it feels like the uniform was designed that way (because it was)

The Iowa Wild do (did? some photos have them wearing white helmets with these jerseys) have a wheat coloured helmet for their wheat jerseys. which is essentially cream.

Fw_dqNzXgAgvzHw.jpg

and it looks much different in different lighting.

cut.jpg

It just doesn't look good and that's with only CCM making all the helmets so at least the colour is consistent. Imagine how much variation we could see in the cream helmet colour across different brands.

• Like 4
  • Hurl 3

IbjBaeE.png

9 hours ago, monkeypower said:

The Iowa Wild do (did? some photos have them wearing white helmets with these jerseys) have a wheat coloured helmet for their wheat jerseys. which is essentially cream.

Fw_dqNzXgAgvzHw.jpg

cut.jpg

It just doesn't look good and that's with only CCM making all the helmets so at least the colour is consistent. Imagine how much variation we could see in the cream helmet colour across different brands.

Yeah I can see getting the exact shade of cream correct being a major issue. If I remember correctly, difficulty in getting the right shade of eggplant was the main reason why the Mighty Ducks wore black equipment for a few years.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 2:30 PM, monkeypower said:

Fw_dqNzXgAgvzHw.jpg

cut.jpg

I wish those WHITE accents on the jersey and helmet were RED instead.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised we made it this long without much in terms of Stadium Series leaks. Was at two games over my Christmas break and the Devils' store really only had that standalone black NJ on a foam finger and the Islanders have absolutely nothing that would lead you into the direction of their look

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

6 hours ago, ruttep said:

spacer.png

Not too bad looking of a Winter Classic

Agreed, it was a pleasant watch, and not only because of the score.

The Golden Knights fauxbacks weren't great on first inspection, but in the context of a Winter Classic I thought they held their own nicely.

• Like 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I think the "V" logo just let it down a little bit. Not sure that I have a better idea necessarily, but it just felt kind of lost, especially lined up against the rightly beloved "S" of the Kraken.

• Like 1

I think my only real qualm with Vegas' is that the combo of cream and gold kinda ended up blurring together on the TV camera side of things. Kinda surprised they didn't just paste the layout of the socks across the rest of the jersey; I think the grey striping being on the jersey would've really helped make the gold pop more. Same with outlining the gold yoke in grey.

Seattle's, though, those were absolutely flawless. I really want those to become their alternates.

2 hours ago, Digby said:

I think the "V" logo just let it down a little bit. Not sure that I have a better idea necessarily, but it just felt kind of lost, especially lined up against the rightly beloved "S" of the Kraken.

I think the V works for the intended goal of looking like a logo you'd have seen in the 1910's and 1920's; lots of teams from that era just used stylized letters for their logo instead of a more complex design (the Sens' O, Vancouver and Victoria's Vs, Boston's B, etc.)

If Vegas wanted their jersey to match Seattle's, that was the best way to do it instead of trying to make up some old-timey knight logo.