2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

I don't like the nameplate, but these are fun other than that. The All-Star jerseys probably shouldn't be judged by the standards of traditional jersey aesthetics anyway, since they're being made for a one-off exhibition and not being asked to represent a franchise over the course of hundreds of games. 

These are loud and cheesy and vibrant, but they also know what they want to be and they stick to it. I think it's clear they are well designed, even if it doesn't fit traditional hockey design parameters. They won't be for everyone, but they also aren't supposed to be either, and that's ok. For something like this, I think you'd rather miss by swinging for the fences than make something boring. It's a hit for me. 

• Like 5
  • Dislike 1

32 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

Is any All Star Game jersey really revered as a classic?  Minnesota's get a lot of praise but I don't think anyone would call either of them a classic design.  Maybe the Orange and Black ones from the early 90's?

The mid-90s star design certainly has a lot of fans

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Those jerseys are the perfect example of a modern classic (Dallas' template improved on it). It's a really simple, bold design. Just a few stripes and big solid blocks of colour. The Teal and Purple were definitely a product of the 90s, but they still looked amazing

• Like 2
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

Is any All Star Game jersey really revered as a classic?  Minnesota's get a lot of praise but I don't think anyone would call either of them a classic design.  Maybe the Orange and Black ones from the early 90's?

The late 90's ones as well since last year's were universally acclaimed. Otherwise i don't think so

7 hours ago, ruttep said:

Implying that these uniforms would belong more to Nashville is an insult to Nashville.

Maybe an insult, but can't change that these three stripes along with stars and yellow color reminds me of guitar strings and alternate Preds logo.

5 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

I think someone from 2004 would have more design sense.  Look at the All Star jerseys from that year.

They were in a throwback style.

4r2eer.png

3 hours ago, ruttep said:

The mid-90s star design certainly has a lot of fans

spacer.png

These are great but "classic" seems like a bit of a stretch.  Even with 90's nostalgia at its peak.

The logo that made a star out of the negative space between hockey sticks was a genuinely inspired design that no one cares about because no one cares about the NHL All-Star Game.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, Patchey13 said:

Those jerseys are the perfect example of a modern classic (Dallas' template improved on it). It's a really simple, bold design. Just a few stripes and big solid blocks of colour. The Teal and Purple were definitely a product of the 90s, but they still looked amazing

I don't know if I'd quite call it a modern classic (the way the logo lines up with the star template is kind of awkward) but it is perplexing how the team completely ignores the design that coincided with their peak.  It would certainly make a better alternate than what they use now.

vuFPbFL.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

I don't care for the Addy Dass stripes but on a crazy design like this they're somehow the most unremarkable aspect.

Exactly. It’s bad logo creep but at least 3 lines are a design element. The rest looks like hockey got drunk at the X Games and threw up on itself

• Like 2

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

Lightning social accounts shared this yesterday.  It could be a nod to the Gasparilla pirate themed gear (no more warmup jerseys allowed per the league) their shop released last week, but the focus is on that chest pretty heavy.

Might be a release of that leaked black jersey for 1/18???  I'll be at the game that night, so we'll see soon enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TBGKon said:

Lightning social accounts shared this yesterday.  It could be a nod to the Gasparilla pirate themed gear (no more warmup jerseys allowed per the league) their shop released last week, but the focus is on that chest pretty heavy.

Might be a release of that leaked black jersey for 1/18???  I'll be at the game that night, so we'll see soon enough.

It's probably some kind of Gasparilla-themed thing, given the logo shown at the end doesn't match the leaked alternate at all.

18 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

I don't know if I'd quite call it a modern classic (the way the logo lines up with the star template is kind of awkward) but it is perplexing how the team completely ignores the design that coincided with their peak.  It would certainly make a better alternate than what they use now.

vuFPbFL.jpg

I'd imagine that the Reebok Edge disasters soured everyone on that color scheme. How do you go from 

spacer.png

spacer.png

to

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, ruttep said:

I'd imagine that the Reebok Edge disasters soured everyone on that color scheme. How do you go from

That's only part of it. The other larger part was that sports design was trending away from the darker colors when the Stars redesigned. No idea why they threw out gold in favor of silver, but kelly/black/silver feels more authentically vintage (see Eagles) than the dark green/black/muddy gold scheme.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

I'd imagine that the Reebok Edge disasters soured everyone on that color scheme.

It was certainly looking dated even before Reebok ruined their jerseys...  Lightening the green to what they have now was definitely the right move.  Maybe they could make an alternate based off the cup jerseys but with the new shade of green and with the gold retained.   

I love the Stars current uniforms in a vacuum but it's disheartening how far removed they are from the look associated with the franchise's pinnacle.  Having an alternate with some gold would go a long way to fix that and bridge the gap between the two era's...  Whatever they decide to do, those Skyline Green monstrosities have to go.  They looked dated the second they were released and are not fit for a pro team IMO.

• Like 1