2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

oh boy.....

mavericks struck gold last year, bulls last year were solid as always. and now they've both just missed the mark. the mavericks one has some potential with the fancy font but the colors and design are so uninspiring. i've noticed that they just cant pull off dark jerseys no matter how many times they try:

Spoiler

dallas-mavericks-2022-23-statement-jersedallas-mavericks-2020-22-statement-jersedallas-mavericks-2020-21-earned-jersey.jdallas-mavericks-2019-20-statement-jersedallas-mavericks-2018-19-city-jersey.jpg

dallas-mavericks-2017-18-city-jersey.jpg

though i did kinda like these:

dallas-mavericks-2017-19-statement-jerse

as for the bulls, i think they were just better off just using that font thats on the bottom corner

• Like 1

Looks like the Mavs are going with a Leon Bridges design. Idk whether he designed them or they're a tribute to his music or what, but that seems to be his signature, and he grew up in Fort Worth and goes to games. They even released an album together (he and the Mavs I guess). I didn't know he was well known enough to get a city edition design, but I guess he won a grammy?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pirate_Nation said:

city edition.

Source:

This appears to be a nod to the "Madhouse on Madison" the old Chicago Stadium. While similar to the iconic Chicago theater marquee, the font looks more like that on the roof of the building but is rendered vertically like the marquee outside of the stadium.

Better look at the font
UJEhwu4.jpgiLBLL0g.jpg

And the marquee
F7NgPvvW4AAWjip?format=jpg&name=900x900
 F7NgPvxXYAAdZ4D?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 1
  • Love 3

7 hours ago, Pirate_Nation said:

Jersey is big yawn, but I guess vertical wordmark is probably a nod to warmups from 80's + Chicago Stadium of course:

41847A_lg.jpeg

7 hours ago, Pirate_Nation said:

I hope this time they don't use satin fabric on authentic like in 2003. Weird mix of 80's with 2000's

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

r/NBASpurs - Wemby giving a sneak preview of the new unis. Peep the shorts

• Like 2

4r2eer.png

19 hours ago, eRay said:

Looks like the Mavs are going with a Leon Bridges design. Idk whether he designed them or they're a tribute to his music or what, but that seems to be his signature, and he grew up in Fort Worth and goes to games. They even released an album together (he and the Mavs I guess). I didn't know he was well known enough to get a city edition design, but I guess he won a grammy?

I think he's reasonably famous enough and is the type of cool-cachet personality that the City Program is going after, so it makes sense. I'm not seeing the connection to him really though. I guess the font is kinda that 60s/70s throwback that matches up with Leon's music, but it doesn't suit the color scheme at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Digby said:

I think he's reasonably famous enough and is the type of cool-cachet personality that the City Program is going after, so it makes sense. I'm not seeing the connection to him really though. I guess the font is kinda that 60s/70s throwback that matches up with Leon's music, but it doesn't suit the color scheme at all.

Now if the authentics are more shiny fabric, kind of redoing the trash bag look, then there could be marketing-speak tie-ins with the music. "Silky smooth vocals", "shimmery notes", "velvety chords", etc. Fingers crossed for shiny gray.

Found some city leaks from the same Instagram account that previously posted the Warriors + Heat leak.  Their account is __2hands_shop__ on Instagram for those wondering. This particular batch is Wizards, Clippers, and the matching shorts for the previous Pacers leak.

As far as the actual designs go, I'll say that they're interesting at the very least (minus the Clippers). The gradient on the Wizards jersey is really intriguing, especially when paired with the altered logo and half black/half grey design that they're using. I don't really expect this to look good on the court but at least it's new and exciting in comparison to some other city jerseys we've seen in years past. One of my main critiques though is the sheer amount of black uniforms we're getting this year. Taking all the leaks/releases we've seen to this point into consideration, there are going to be at least 8 black uniforms (CHI, WSH, IND, MIA, GSW, LAL, BKN, DAL). The 2022/23 class was fairly disappointing to me not only because of lacking designs, but also because 17 of the 29 city jerseys were either black or white. I hate looking at each of the jerseys on release day and seeing the majority of the league looking one of two ways, especially when the city program is all about trying new things and being expressive. I'm personally tired of the city program at this point, even if they churn out a few decent designs each season.

Edit: Clippers look more navy than black, but the point still stands

QPkYzJB.jpg

8Ty6M2p.jpg

6JD572U.jpg

• Like 3
  • Hurl 3
  • Eyeroll 2

10 hours ago, Conrad. said:

The Mavs City uni is black

Black? It clearly look like silver on this leak

13 hours ago, fortunat1 said:

6JD572U.jpg

Weird, first leak of that uniform show us more like a drak grey color rather than black.

Anyway it would mean that now only Pelicans left as a team which never have a black uniform in their history.

13 hours ago, fortunat1 said:

there are going to be at least 8 black uniforms

Iirc in 20/21 season half of the league had black City uniform.

4r2eer.png