2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

3 hours ago, Digby said:

Conference Finals LockerVision's up...

Minnesota is wearing white throwbacks at home, white current-era jerseys on the road. Mavericks wearing navy for all of them except G2, where the black City jersey gets out again.

Indiana is sticking with the yellow jerseys both at home and on the road. Boston is wearing white at home for G1, black at home G2, green for the away games. (Yellow vs green always is one of my favorite matchups so at least there's that.)

We're circling weirdly close to soccer-style "primary" vs "clash" jerseys here.

I'm more than okay with the Pacers sticking with the gold jersey.

• Like 4

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

c60369afc576231dd53b92a3cfc470e0

The Mavs completely abandoned this set. Hasn't been worn since April 4th.  Meanwhile they continue to wear a black R&B tribute uniform designed by a musician. And the court design has GUITARS in the paint. The NBA is bonkers man

• Like 17
  • LOL 1

On 5/3/2024 at 1:10 PM, bbush24 said:

The fact that for 6 of 7 games in a series, the Nuggets are wearing two different uniforms that both refer to the elevation of their city is just a joke. I cannot wait until this gimmicky city era is dead.

I really don’t even understand the fascination with them being the mile high city. Like we get it. Can you focus on your actual team name now ? 5280 this, 5280 that. It sucks. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

4 hours ago, tscuzzy said:

The Mavs completely abandoned this set. Hasn't been worn since April 4th.  Meanwhile they continue to wear a black R&B tribute uniform designed by a musician. And the court design has GUITARS in the paint. The NBA is bonkers man

feels like I haven’t seen the Mavs wear that jersey since Dirk was playing. 

shame, it actually looks better in the Nike template as opposed to the adidas cut. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bushy said:

I really don’t even understand the fascination with them being the mile high city. Like we get it. Can you focus on your actual team name now ? 5280 this, 5280 that. It sucks. 

But then we won't know how high they are. In elevation or literally speaking.

According to Jon Krawczynski (The Athletic), it’s not as simple as just wearing whatever jersey a team wants, as long as it is opposite of what the home team chooses. During the playoffs, teams must coordinate with the NBA before each series. Alternate uniforms are apparently frowned upon and need special permission to wear.

Could have fooled me...

After winning that do-or-die contest, the Wolves wanted to wear the classic whites again. But to do so, they had to request approval from the league, something that normally isn’t allowed, especially under emergency, last-minute circumstances like this. But… permission granted.

The NBA typically wants teams to avoid using throwback jerseys in the playoffs. But the Timberwolves got a waiver to wear them for Game 6, and after blasting the Nuggets by 45 points to even the series at 3-3, they were granted permission to wear them again.

Jon Krawczynski – The Athletic

Oh, so only throwbacks are frowned upon. But City jerseys, that a lot of times aren't in team colors and sometimes don't even have the team or city name on it (in the Nuggets case it has numbers!) are perfectly fine. Ok got it.

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/minnesota-timberwolves-classic-jerseys/

• Like 8

14 hours ago, kolob said:

I'm more than okay with the Pacers sticking with the gold jersey.

Navy and white versions of the yellow uniforms would make it a fantastic set. 

• Like 11

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, VikWings said:

Could have fooled me...

Oh, so only throwbacks are frowned upon. But City jerseys, that a lot of times aren't in team colors and sometimes don't even have the team or city name on it (in the Nuggets case it has numbers!) are perfectly fine. Ok got it.

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/minnesota-timberwolves-classic-jerseys/

This probably stems from different definitions of "alternate uniform." The conventional definition is anything that's not the primary home and away, but I bet in the NBA's eyes the primary uniforms are Association, Icon, Statement, and City. Anything additional, including Classic, is what's considered an alternate.

• Like 1

ExJworW.png

6 hours ago, PrimalCookie said:

This probably stems from different definitions of "alternate uniform." The conventional definition is anything that's not the primary home and away, but I bet in the NBA's eyes the primary uniforms are Association, Icon, Statement, and City. Anything additional, including Classic, is what's considered an alternate.

They just need to cut city from playoff rotations and they’d be fine. 

Here’s hoping we get a Pacers-Wolves Finals. Two teams that have never won it, and no mind-numbingly stupid choices like Dallas’ alternate court or Boston’s black alt jerseys. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Yes. Maybe get a less generic font, but I love the style of their gold jersey compared to their primaries. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

21 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Navy and white versions of the yellow uniforms would basically be their iconic 1990s set designed by FloJo (RIP). I mean, it isn’t 1-to-1, but given the trend of modernizing throwbacks for full-time use, maybe they should do that. 

• Like 2

On 5/22/2024 at 8:41 AM, MCM0313 said:

Navy and white versions of the yellow uniforms would basically be their iconic 1990s set designed by FloJo (RIP). I mean, it isn’t 1-to-1, but given the trend of modernizing throwbacks for full-time use, maybe they should do that. 

As someone who likes their primary set, this wouldn't bother me. It's unique and I've never liked their pinstripe looks.

On 5/20/2024 at 8:54 PM, tscuzzy said:

I never really thought about it or questioned that the Mavs' only hav blue black and silver on their logos.

But their primary uniforms have always had royal, navy, and silver no black.

Like BFBS doesn't even exist for them, if anything it's NFNS. I can't believe I never noticed that.

Is there a story on the conception of their 2000s rebrand? I'm very curious how they ended up going those routes.

58 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

Minnesota was behaving themselves uniform wise until tonight. It’s not a bad uniform but it’s so out of place in their set. 

Yeah, I'm sure I said this upthread, but I've always thought the charcoal/green combo as well as the wordmark are much better executed than the main two uniforms of the set... clever updates of "classic" Timberwolves and they look decent on their own accord too. I don't understand mothballing them for a month and a half when they've been using the playoffs as a brand-building exercise, but that's the 2024 Nikeverse for you. This was one of the worst examples yet of the away team looking like the home team. Played like it too!

• Like 2

1618647687154.jpg

This was the best look the Wolves have worn with the current identity and looked the most like the Timberwolves, and it's based on the star motif... That's how drab and uninspired their regular sets are.

Not a fan of their current black Statement(?..). The team name is too long for that wordmark and the fonts are just too generic for the Wolves without other imagery, and the uni has those unnecessary lines and an all-around "Tron" look.

• Like 13

9 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Minnesota was behaving themselves uniform wise until tonight. It’s not a bad uniform but it’s so out of place in their set. 

I was shocked they wanted to go down looking like that. 

I believe Minnesota and Dallas can co-exist as blue and green teams. The Mavs are the ones that should use a navy with a bright green though. I think they need the modern take more than the Wolves, and the accent of green evokes their skyline.

8SGUsO.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=d1eaed510f3864

Meanwhile, the Wolves are a team that needs black involved. That KG era will always be iconic. So you can't use the darker blue, and I always loved the way the combo looked from 08-10, though you could go less abstract with the uniforms. Of course, if you wanted to use a darker green like with KG, that could create more distinction from Dallas.

91222208.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=df5e9f4ce34

• Like 5
  • Applause 1