Arizona Cardinals new uniform extravaganza

CaliforniaGlowin

I thought the rumors of darkened red and use of orangey yellow were very plausible.   And, in combination with gray/silver and flag blue, could have been much better than the overemphasized gray and Buckeye resemblance.

This really reminds me of the short lived Browns overhaul:

- Attempt to add novel elements in the framework of a traditional design, including:

- chest wordmark

- oddly placed wordmark - better on sleeve than on pants, I guess.

Needs more shoulder and pants stripes IMO.  That could have been the place to add silver plus flag colors without overemphasizing any of them.     A touch of those colors while still being traditional red/white would have been my vision.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

KSLqAKI.png

You can see the tiny specks in there. But unless you're watching up close on TV, it probably won't stand out. 

The best thing about this uniform change is the addition of silver....now the facemask is tied to other parts of the uniform. 

• Like 5

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I actually think it's clever that the stripes switch between pants and jerseys in these combos.

Not so much clever as it is a return to an older design principal.  Sometimes we get locked in on "all the stripes have to match" that we also think they need to go on every component of the uniform (helmet, jersey, pants, socks).  Classic example of less is more.  

It's a damn shame the Cardinals didn't have the wherewithal to trot this combination out last night, because it would've been a much bigger hit. 

• Like 4

Just now, HOOVER said:

Not so much clever as it is a return to an older design principal.  Sometimes we get locked in on "all the stripes have to match" that we also think they need to go on every component of the uniform (helmet, jersey, pants, socks).  Classic example of less is more.  

It's a damn shame the Cardinals didn't have the wherewithal to trot this combination out last night, because it would've been a much bigger hit. 

I disagree as I believe all parts of the uniforms should match. Not only the stripes, but TV numbers and the wordmark.  The best comment I've seen yet came from my Sports Aesthetics Facebook page, "this is why designers NEED to have OCD" so mismatched uniforms would not exist. 

spacer.png

They aren't terrible,  but wearing mono all the time makes them terrible. Hopefully they eventually mix and match. And please wear red socks on the road.

Other issues I have aside from the mono.

Red Jersey:

- ARIZONA wordmark. What is with Nike giving all these teams these giant wordmarks now a days? Previous Browns, Jets, Falcons etc.

-no stripes on pants.

White jersey:

-wordmark on the sleeve stripe. Did we not learn from the Lions?

Black jersey:

-numbers should be white or reversed, silver outlined in red. They look almost exactly like the Ohio St. black alts.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

More thoughts with a day to digest these:

- The road and black set are actually quite great. I don’t get Nike’s new insistence on putting team names on the sleeves but it at least works in this setup.

- STOP THE MONOCHROME. We get it. You did color rush five years ago and people noticed. Congrats. Now let’s move on and make normal uniform combinations again, especially where the pants match the helmet.

- I still think the huge ARIZONA is big time amateur vibes but it probably looks even worse paired with the slim number one. Still it’s an arena league look and should be shrunk at least in half.  I dunno, maybe I should just feel lucky they didn’t get real dumb and put BIRD GANG on the front. 

Agree on points 1 & 2.  I really like this redesign, specifically the White & Black sets, and now that I've seen the Red/White and White/Red mock-ups, I think most of us will end up really liking this look once they hit the field and are worn properly.

On point #3, I don't think it helped them at all that they put that jersey on 3 of the smallest guys they have, all wearing single digits.  They should've had Zaven, DJ, and Cam wear the Red unis last night.  The wordmark looks much better on a normal-sized player with 2-digit numbers:

fkmp3efruu6jp4tutyuv.jpg
l7ictl1c1ldecyf5knkl.jpg

It actually looks good on the single digit guys, too - it just looks like trash on Kyler his entire physical look is unappealing.

Would've been better had they left it off altogether, but it's not going anywhere, so we best get used to it.

29 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

Agree on points 1 & 2.  I really like this redesigns, specifically the White & Black sets, and now that I've seen the Red/White and White/Red mock-ups, I think most of us will end up really liking this look once they hit the field.

On point #3, I don't think it helped them at all that they put that jersey on 3 of the smallest guys they have, all wearing single digits.  They should've had Zaven, DJ, and Cam wear the Red unis last night.  The wordmark looks much better on a normal-sized player with 2-digit numbers:

fkmp3efruu6jp4tutyuv.jpg
l7ictl1c1ldecyf5knkl.jpg

It actually looks good on the single digit guys, too - it just looks like trash on Kyler his entire physical look is unappealing.

Would've been better had they left it off altogether, but it's not going anywhere, so we best get used to it.

Counterpoint - the wordmark screams college and high school football.  STATE   TECH   NORTH

It isn't part of the NFL 'look'.

Edited by Sec19Row53
added NORTH for HS reasons
  • Like 7

It's where I sit.

I like the enhanced helmet, the shade of red, and the white jerseys. The giant word mark is inexcusable and will date this set terribly if it hasn’t already. I do think mixing and matching the red and white combos will make everything better as the mock ups show. 

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

1 minute ago, seasaltvanilla said:

I'm glad they erred on the Jaguars end of the spectrum and not the Buccaneers end.

The red uniform is like Jacksonville, but the white and black is more like the new Buccaneers uniform which is great thing. Anything plain like the red uniform is awful! 

spacer.png

Unpopular thought alert: setting aside the black jerseys/pants (which should be deleted forever) and monochrome red, the only thing really bad about the previous set was the white jersey.  They just needed to eliminate the red shoulders (similar to Bengals old set). Piping isn't my favorite look but totally blank jerseys are just about as bad.

I loved the concept that swapped black to navy and gave yellow a bigger role.  

The more I think about it, I’m honestly kind of surprised that the collegiate style large wordmark on jerseys in the NFL has been a trend at all, let alone that it keeps surviving. You had the Browns kick it off with the ill fated Manziel set, then the Jets, then the Falcons, then the Commanders (not as large as the others, but larger than standard nevertheless), and now the Cardinals. I really don’t understand the ratter sudden appeal for that element and why it’s becoming a thing in the NFL. Is it just a piggy-backing kind of move from teams, or is there some sort of popularity to it that I’m missing here?

I do wonder a bit how much teams actually want to look like college teams nowadays and think that’s how they can strike a chord with younger audiences. It’s the only theory I can think of for the sudden rise of the large wordmark in a league that never really applied it in its aesthetics before.  In any case, it has never caught on with me personally. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

31 minutes ago, Indigo said:

How come every time I see you on the boards, you're saying something controversial?

It was just a silly joke lol. I don’t know the guy, but I appreciate his contributions to the site. It’s been fun following this unveiling. Was making a joke, not meant to be taken seriously. 

• Like 2