Arizona Cardinals new uniform extravaganza

CaliforniaGlowin

I've started to hate the Cardinals unis less and less over the last couple days.

Still bothers me they missed a great opportunity to incorporate some local flavor as far as their color palette goes. At least they're *trying* to mix in silver, which makes the facemask look like it actually belongs. The giant ARIZONA across the front on the home uni is ridiculous. Monochrome sucks, but every team does it now so it's unavoidable.

But all things considered, they needed to get away from those 2000s Reebok monstrosities, which they definitely did.

• Like 16

6uXNWAo.png

12 minutes ago, Cujo said:

I've started to hate the Cardinals unis less and less over the last couple days.

Still bothers me they missed a great opportunity to incorporate some local flavor as far as their color palette goes. At least they're *trying* to mix in silver, which makes the facemask look like it actually belongs. The giant ARIZONA across the front on the home uni is ridiculous. Monochrome sucks, but every team does it now so it's unavoidable.

But all things considered, they needed to get away from those 2000s Reebok monstrosities, which they definitely did.

I think these teams have only done mono-white, while every other team has done mono-color. Is this correct?

Cowboys

Giants

Raiders

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

7 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I think these teams have only done mono-white, while every other team has done mono-color. Is this correct?

Cowboys

Giants

Raiders

Sounds about right.

Now how many teams tried mono-color prior to 2005? It's a trend that will never go away, sadly.

• Like 4

6uXNWAo.png

It appeared that they were trying to go back to more traditional cardinals uniforms with a plain red jersey and similar stripes to what they had back in their St. Louis days. Unfortunately, they half-a...ed it by replacing black with silver.  Below I tweaked both the red and white uniforms.  I even included a second pair of white pants to better go with the red jerseys. spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Dislike 1

mizzoufb.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

They're on the shoulders

t50MlrN.png

That photo, without the helmet and logo for context, makes it look like the most college-ass uniform ever.

If he was wearing a University of Arizona helmet, I wouldn't think twice about it.  For better or for worse, that wordmark size will never be part of the NFL aesthetic.

• Like 14

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, FiddySicks said:

BTW, this is the very last of the old Reebok sets getting replaced, isn’t it? 

As far as ugly piping and side panels go, yes.

I believe the Bills might be the last remaining -- unless the Texans are also Reebok-era.

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

25 minutes ago, BBTV said:

For better or for worse, that wordmark size will never be part of the NFL aesthetic.

I don't see why it can't be. Sure it breaks tradition, but if it works in college, even for schools with classic aesthetics like OU and Texas, I don't have a problem with NFL teams trying it out. Had the Cardinals used the full-sized wordmark and stripes on all three jerseys, they'd feel exactly like a college team, but I wouldn't mind at all.

It's the inconsistencies with this set that bugs me the most, no particular aesthetic choices are actually bad in my book. Even then, a plain home jersey has historical precedence for the Cardinals, so -  again - while it's not my favorite idea, I don't mind it all that much. That just about sums up how I feel about the set as a whole. Assuming they avoid monochrome, which they probably will somewhat often, this is at worst a B- set for me. Only the monochrome is truly unforgivable. Everything else is plain and uninspired, but inoffensive. I'll take that over over-designed garbage any day.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

26 minutes ago, PERRIN said:

I don't see why it can't be.

Your post indicates that you do, even if you don't realize it.

• Like 6
  • Huh? 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

That photo, without the helmet and logo for context, makes it look like the most college-ass uniform ever.

If he was wearing a University of Arizona helmet, I wouldn't think twice about it.  For better or for worse, that wordmark size will never be part of the NFL aesthetic.

Same issue with the Cleveland uniforms we pretend never existed. 

At least they didn't put anything down the legs. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

9 hours ago, Cujo said:

unless the Texans are also Reebok-era.

Texans started in '02, which was the first year of the RBK exclusive deal, but I don't know if RB actually designed them or if they were done in-house (or some other firm) and simply had the vector slapped on them.

I think the RBK-exclusive deal was in place a year earlier, but some teams still had a year or so left on their deals with other advertisers (Puma, etc.) so '02 was the first year that every team wore the vector.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cujo said:

As far as ugly piping and side panels go, yes.

I believe the Bills might be the last remaining -- unless the Texans are also Reebok-era.

I think the Texans are, but I thought Buffalo switched out under Nike.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

15 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think the Texans are, but I thought Buffalo switched out under Nike.

No Buffalo's current look debuted in the final years of the Reebok deal. 

But even if Houston and Buffalo's looks debuted under Reebok that's not what @BBTV is talking about, I don't think. It's not a strict "uniforms designed by Reebok," he's referencing a specific trend Reebok was at the front of in the 2000s- panels and piping. Atlanta, New England, Arizona, Minnesota, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, and Buffalo 02-10. 

All of these Reebok looks have finally been replaced (Buffalo's was the first, with a more traditional Reebok design in 2011). Not all the replacements have been good. Atlanta's new unis are awful and Arizona's new set still has too many small little things that bother me. 

Even still, Arizona's 05-22 unis were the last holdout of that style and they're thankfully gone. 

• Like 7

I think there may be a mix up - I think you're referring to Cujo's post?

10 hours ago, Cujo said:

My post was simply saying that I'm not sure if Reebok actually designed the Texans uniforms, or if they used some other firm.  I think that was still the era where the teams did a lot of their own design work rather than leveraging the services of Reebok, Nike, etc. - but I could be wrong.  FWIW, I don't consider the Texans to be piped or "trendy" - it's a solid modern-traditional uniform.  A little bland maybe, but could exist another 10 seasons without looking too dated.

• Like 3

The math wasn’t mathing in my head I so did a super quick google search.

Turns out the Brady-era Patriots uniforms were an Adidas brain child from 2000.

I still firmly believe the Texans saw this new style uniform and made it better. The two sets were essentially the same style. The most telling features are the shoulder stripes and pants stripes. Houston just removed the piping and rearranged some of the colors

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DCarp1231 said:

I still firmly believe the Texans saw this new style uniform and made it better. The two sets were essentially the same style. Houston just removed the piping and rearranged some of the colors

It's really one of the rare designs that features sleeve/shoulder features that has survived all of the various template changes.  Many more teams could have leveraged it in ways that would have maintained their unique look.  For example, the last Jets set could have looked a lot closer to the Namath set it was emulating by making the sleeve-cap white, the shoulder insert green, and then putting some thick white piping as trim around the insert.

The Colts could also have done something similar, rather than having half-UCLA stripes.

• Like 2