Arizona Cardinals new uniform extravaganza

CaliforniaGlowin

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

The Cardinals just copied the Tarheels jerseys from the early 2000's.Rumors are that UNC is going back to the Ronald Curry era jerseys, so just an updated template for these:

Nike Men's North Carolina Tar Heels #1 Carolina Blue Throwback Game Football Jersey product image

I don't want to sidetrack the thread for too long, but I am curious where you heard/read the rumor of that change for UNC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

I agree. While both are stupid, the Lions wordmark is more vertical and less letters. This means it’s much larger and obvious. The Cardinals wordmark is very wide and is rendered on a smaller scale. Both stupid, but the Cardinals seems relatively harmless in comparison.

spacer.png

spacer.png

After sitting on these for a few days, it occured to me that the wordmarks were practically required for the Away and Alternate jerseys because without them, there's nothing that would indicate that they're for the Arizona Cardinals. Placing it on the sleeve makes what is an otherwise very common striping pattern somewhat proprietary and provides some greater visibility I suppose.

• Like 1

spacer.png

On 4/22/2023 at 9:19 PM, Cujo said:

I believe the Bills might be the last remaining -- unless the Texans are also Reebok-era.

Based off this grainy unveiling video, the Texans are in fact a confirmed Reebok creation.

• Like 2

6uXNWAo.png

28 minutes ago, henburg said:

After sitting on these for a few days, it occured to me that the wordmarks were practically required for the Away and Alternate jerseys because without them, there's nothing that would indicate that they're for the Arizona Cardinals. Placing it on the sleeve makes what is an otherwise very common striping pattern somewhat proprietary and provides some greater visibility I suppose.

I understand what you're saying, but the jersey itself should be an indication of who it belongs to. 

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

7 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Based of this grainy unveiling video, the Texans are in fact a confirmed Reebok creation.

The synchronized movements were almost like an interpretive dance. Uniform reveals have come a long way. (Kind of.)

• Like 2

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

1 hour ago, henburg said:

After sitting on these for a few days, it occured to me that the wordmarks were practically required for the Away and Alternate jerseys because without them, there's nothing that would indicate that they're for the Arizona Cardinals.

You know, aside from the Cardinals logos above the nameplates. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I understand what you're saying, but the jersey itself should be an indication of who it belongs to. 

17 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Yes you're both right, there's the primary logo on the back above the name and the helmets will give them the necessary context on the field. That said, I really don't think it's that crazy of an idea that these jerseys are incredibly plain and would be harder to identify without the wordmark at the very least from a retail perspective. Why it couldn't have gone in the traditional location above the number on the front is hard to say for sure, but the neckline looks a bit more cramped then it did before with this new template.

• Like 1

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, henburg said:

Yes you're both right, there's the primary logo on the back above the name and the helmets will give them the necessary context on the field. That said, I really don't think it's that crazy of an idea that these jerseys are incredibly plain and would be harder to identify without the wordmark at the very least from a retail perspective. Why it couldn't have gone in the traditional location above the number on the front is hard to say for sure, but the neckline looks a bit more cramped then it did before with this new template.

I'm not a fan of the use of a logo or wordmark on an NFL jersey. I think the combination of colors, font, and (where applicable) stripes ought to be sufficient to identify the team.

#needsstripes

I get that this meshes with historical Cardinals jerseys. I'm ok without stripes but admit that wordmarks or logos are the rule, not the exception. 

It's where I sit.

4 hours ago, TGroce said:

I don't want to sidetrack the thread for too long, but I am curious where you heard/read the rumor of that change for UNC

I want to say it was posted in the 2023 College football thread. They did wear that version last year, but as the alternate instead of the primary.

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

Why is this still a thing in sports uniforms? IMO it's never looked good on any team that tried it.

• Like 6

Hotter Than July > Thriller

14 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I mentioned this about 20 pages ago on this thread, but this is almost certainly done to make the jerseys more viable for sale as streetwear. 

Paired with the helmet on an NFL broadcast, there's no need for team identifiers on the jersey. But worn just as a shirt, and absent any identifiable markings, it's just a plain, red jersey. 

Undoubtedly, someone somewhere has market research that shows consumers are more likely to buy a jersey that's easily identifiable as belonging to a specific team than they would a jersey without clear markings. It's the same reason we have wordmarks on the sleeves for the Lions and a Jaguar patch on the shoulder of the Jaguars jerseys. 

I can't imagine the Cardinals sold a lot of the plain red home jerseys during the pre-Reebok redesign era. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I can't imagine the Cardinals sold a lot of the plain red home jerseys during the pre-Reebok redesign era. 

Of course not. They'd been god-awful for like 30 years and most football fans there liked the Cowboys. The Giants' 2000-present home jerseys, which are the same jerseys but in blue, presumably sold fine.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Of course not. They'd been god-awful for like 30 years and most football fans there liked the Cowboys. The Giants' 2000-present home jerseys, which are the same jerseys but in blue, presumably sold fine.

Maybe, but those Giants uniforms had one major distinction distinction: they had a wordmark under the collar.  The Cardinals never added any identifying marks to the home jersey.

14 minutes ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Are there any photos out of the players wearing the new helmets? Literally every photo I see they're either holding it or it's not present. Great way to display your uniform. Smh

I said the same thing a while back. So pointless. Instead we see the players making weird poses that they won't ever make on the field.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Are there any photos out of the players wearing the new helmets? Literally every photo I see they're either holding it or it's not present. Great way to display your uniform. Smh

It'd be nice to see the helmet under stadium lights or natural light. I wonder how noticeable those silver flakes will be. Right now they just look like overspray.

bDrafMr.jpg

• Like 4

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."