MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

Interesting that they specifically call out the pants zipper.  Out of all of the complaints, hadn't heard that one yet.  I have questions.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't understand the hate for the smaller NOB. If anything the old lettering was way too big. I mean we saw players with long names practically having a full circle of lettering around their number. Remember Saltalamacchia?

• Like 1
  • Dislike 11
  • Facepalm 2
  • Eyeroll 1

My biggest takeaway is Nike received negative feedback in 2022 and blew it off. While money talks, and I do not believe leagues will stop contracting with Nike, it does not make them appear very league or player friendly. 

• Like 3

The article is probably enough to please most baseball fans while still leaving plenty of questions for uniform nerds like us.

Passan acknowledges:

- Bigger lettering

- Mismatched grays

- Visible sweat (this would infer a material change)

- Pants construction

Does this mean they are simply going backwards to the old template? I would be very surprised if that were the case. I could see them using the new template with the old materials. But some clubs (Orioles, Braves to name a couple) modified their designs to adhere to the template. The material change has also resulted in some colors appearing a bit different this year (Braves navy blue for one, various clubs off white or cream). What happens there? Will sleeve trim still be limited to the cuff? Will the batterman logo remain below the headspoon? Speaking of the headspoon, will they keep the skinny style? Will pants retain the new loops style? Also, there is so much brand new retail product that just hit the market (and in some cases is still hitting the market for the first time). Will fan gear be modified? Could we see a situation where on field gear doesn’t match the fan gear? What about fans that have already purchased the new gear and are being told it’s already being replaced one month into the season? Passan says the changes will take place by the start of 2025 at the latest, suggesting a mid season change may be possible.

• Like 6

On 4/27/2024 at 10:23 AM, Old School Fool said:

First the Rockies and now the Orioles, let's see if the Mariners follow suit and wear cream pants with their City Connect jersey. I tried that Mariners look out on MLB the Show and it's huge upgrade, in fact, I would argue it's a great starting point for a rebrand.

I actually think it's pretty lame that the Dodgers, Rockies and Orioles backtracked on their original dark-colored pants in favor of white ones. The colored pants went a long way towards making those City Connect designs feel more like their own "thing" and less like ordinary alternates that fit comfortably within the rest of each team's respective uniform set. Look at the D-Backs, for example, who did the opposite, introducing their Serpientes set with white pants before listening to fan feedback and switching to sand-colored pants the following season. I was lukewarm to Arizona's City Connect set at first, but I can honestly say I like it a LOT more with sand-colored pants.

The reason the black pants don't particularly work for Seattle is because black feels shoehorned into the design. I'd much rather see the Mariners' set with white, or hell, even blue pants. 

• Like 4

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Eyeroll 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just hopeful the Padres gold will actually look gold again rather than piss yellow like it does now. That and the sand uniforms looking more gray with player sweat. And the formerly large gold piping cheatlines on the brown tops that are now tiny.

I don’t really care about anything other than bringing back the Phillies chain stitching. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

I don't understand the hate for the smaller NOB. If anything the old lettering was way too big. I mean we saw players with long names practically having a full circle of lettering around their number. Remember Saltalamacchia?

I don't see why an extreme minority of goofy-looking NOBS in recent years would be a clear sign the NOBS need to be smaller.

IMO some of the jerseys for players with short names look pretty terrible as well.  I thought Jon Jay's looked comically ridiculous earlier today.

There could be a middle-ground, I suppose. But what they are wearing now is an egregious overcorrection. 

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

This is good news. Until we know the full scope of Nike's "retreat", we don't yet know if it's great news. Personally, I'd like to see a return to the previous placket size, and not forcing standardized front number sizes on the teams, as well as the changes outlined above.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

I don't see why an extreme minority of goofy-looking NOBS in recent years would be a clear sign the NOBS need to be smaller.

IMO some of the jerseys for players with short names look pretty terrible as well.  I thought Jon Jay's looked comically ridiculous earlier today.

There could be a middle-ground, I suppose. But what they are wearing now is an egregious overcorrection. 

I was MOCKED on here for merely suggesting this a month ago