2023-'24 NHL season

Kramerica Industries

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Nah - ESPN did remote announcers during the early rounds of these playoffs. The announcers weren't aware of a change in goalie one game between the 2nd and 3rd periods because they couldn't see it.

If a network can't afford to pay for the airfare and accommodations required to send its announcers to the actual games then maybe that network should get out of broadcasting live sports.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

BB52Big.jpg

I don't know how many employees in the traveling circus have to go to each game. I was just guessing those that do were probably rooting for Florida the last couple games. I know the NBA went to the 2-3-2 Finals format in the mid 80's because Stern didn't like all the cross country flights between Boston and LA. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

9 hours ago, Sport said:

I don't know how many employees in the traveling circus have to go to each game.

This is half a guess and half what I remember from covering sports in the early 90s.

Travel secretary or whatever they call it, equipment managers, trainers, and maybe a media relations person? There's probably a few more, but I don't recall it being a huge amount of people. Then again, that was 30 years ago.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

This is half a guess and half what I remember from covering sports in the early 90s.

Travel secretary or whatever they call it, equipment managers, trainers, and maybe a media relations person? There's probably a few more, but I don't recall it being a huge amount of people. Then again, that was 30 years ago.

Not even air fare.... Why not just have some contracted announcers throughout the country just to do the games near them. They essentially do this for all the espn+/espn3 college games. 

Or better yet, do what MLB used to do and use the home team's crew for the national broadcasts. 

On 6/19/2024 at 9:42 AM, Sport said:

Yeah they said on the broadcast before game 1 that this is the farthest distance in the finals ever and farthest possible between two teams currently in the league. According to google it's close to an 8 hour flight. NHL staff and media who have to cover each game are probably not too thrilled that the Panthers can't close right now. 

I went to Edmonton for work in 2019 and the flight from Toronto was almost 5 hours. Really drove home just how remote Edmonton, Alberta is. 

Technically the longest distance travelled to compete for the Stanley Cup was in 1905, when the Dawson City Nuggets traveled from the Yukon to Ottawa to challenge for it. They even had to take dogsleds for part of the trip. 

This Finals is the longest distance between two NHL teams competing for the Cup. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2024 at 11:16 PM, infrared41 said:

In my experience this is about right. Also usually someone in ticket operations to handle player and coach ticket requests - this was my job for the last 6 years. People would always kinda chuckle when I told them I'd get to travel with the team just to handle their tickets, but it is one less thing for the players and coaches to stress about. Especially with the transition to mobile tickets at most venues now...and of course the fun ticket requests you get when you're literally on the bus going to the venue for the game and have to scramble at the last minute! 🫠

• Like 1

T1oYViW.png

5 minutes ago, FriedPickles said:

has an NHL team ever blown a 3-0 lead before? I know it hasn't happened in NBA, almost with the Celtics last year

It happened 4 times in the Playoffs. The Leafs are the only team to ever comeback from 0-3 in a SCF in 1942.

If the Oilers complete the comeback and get their ring, they will be the 2nd team to do it in the Finals.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

Connor McDavid will achieve legendry if his team wins after coming from an 0-3 deficit and breaking Canada's 31-year cup drought. I think we're going to witness greatness this Monday.

If McDavid gets a Championship, critics won't makes jokes about Eichel being better than him anymore.