2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

41 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I don't mind the Ducks keeping the colour scheme. The logo was always the bigger problem. As I've gotten older it bothers me more that the Mighty Ducks logo didn't feature any eggplant or silver, and instead used two colours that weren't anywhere else in the uniforms.

I think you make a good point here. I might not be able to unsee that now. 

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the current gold for the ducks. Their gold is so drab. If they want to keep black and orange, that's fine with me, but I would rather they bring in a third color that gives them a little more vibrancy. 

And here I was trying to not get my hopes up.

I can accept sticking with the modern colours as long as the jerseys look good - and I guess eggplant and jade will either be a third at some point or remain an every-five-years thing. I assumed they'd just promote the orange third but Chris at Icethetics says "not quite" to that logo. So I'm looking forward to seeing what this modernised version looks like.

• Like 2

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Ah yes, even more years of the Phillyburgh Flyerguins of Anaheim color scheme 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

I don't even think the logo is the big issue with the current brand. They've just worn some of the absolute worse reebok era overdesigned trash for the last 15 years now. Those jerseys were an absolute eyesore.

• Like 7

How much money you wanna bet that they'll try to hide the form of an M somewhere in that new Duck foot to "call back to their rich and storied heritage as the Mighty Ducks?" (All this while still trying to connote the form of a D because of course.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The standalone webbed D is a better logo than it gets credit for. It just gets bogged down by the Ducks' weird black/orange/beige color scheme and nostalgia for an Emilio Estevez movie. Conceptually, it's solid.

• Like 17
  • Dislike 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

11 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

The standalone webbed D is a better logo than it gets credit for. It just gets bogged down by the Ducks' weird black/orange/beige color scheme and nostalgia for an Emilio Estevez movie. Conceptually, it's solid.

I have always liked the Webbed D, but there’s way too many outlines, it really needs some simplification. 

This is starting to sound like the orange third jerseys becoming the primary set, with updated/tweaked logo sets. Probably something in the same vein as the Toronto Blue Jays or Buffalo Sabres tweaks. 

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

"Modernizing" the Mighty Ducks mask logo sounds like bad news to me. Why fix something that isn't broken. You just know they're going to DisneyXD-ify the crap out of that logo. Either that or worse, simplify it until it's completely soulless and social media thumbnail approved

Why are the owners so pig headed? Give the fans what they want ffs. Return to the original Mighty Ducks uniforms and leave those jerseys alone until the end of times

So frustrating

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

The true issue with the Webbed-D is that it was meant to be phase 2 of the rebrand since phase 1 was the wordmark-as-logo set.  Of course the Ducks won the Cup in phase 1 so phase 2 didn't have the nostalgia to the Cup win and became an Edge monstrosity with constant throwbacks hinting at the Disney era and showing how inferior it was.

• Like 3

VmWIn6B.png

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Hockey club makes the cut and black diamonds don't? 🤦‍♂️

I know, right?

Thats the biggest surprise here, but I can’t help if there was enough of a trademark issue (or enough trademark issues) to keep Black Diamonds off the board.

The other surprise is Venom. Well, it might not be a surprise, given that Ryan Smith did mention the name as one of his favorites, right after SEG put out the statement in January about getting an NHL expansion team. Yeti(s) was the other name he mentioned, so don’t be surprised if the final round has Yeti(s) and Venom duking it out.

I don’t hate Venom like I did when the names were first revealed, but if that somehow wins out they have to go in a 1990s direction with the branding for it to work.

For me, of the 6 names left standing, it’s gotta be Mammoth(s). There’s a lot of branding potential with a name like that, given the ties to the state. It also helps that my very first impression of the Quebec Nordiques’ logo was that it was some kind of abstract mammoth as well, and that some ice hockey team being named the Mammoth(s) only makes sense.

Yeti(s) isn’t my favorite name, but this C. Montgomery Burns line pretty much matches my attitude towards it:

43Yor6otG50rhKZ9XVXfALEo-4A=.gif

Edited by DustDevil61
GIF
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, LMU said:

The true issue with the Webbed-D is that it was meant to be phase 2 of the rebrand since phase 1 was the wordmark-as-logo set.  Of course the Ducks won the Cup in phase 1 so phase 2 didn't have the nostalgia to the Cup win and became an Edge monstrosity with constant throwbacks hinting at the Disney era and showing how inferior it was.

That's a good analogy. I forgot that the script was suppose to be the main logo during that whole identity overhaul, though it didn't live as long as the webbed-D ended up. Maybe if they actually won something with the current logo front and center as opposed with the script, it would be a different discussion. Still, the webbed-D is not a terrible logo by itself, but it doesn't stand strong enough as a primary mark.

• Like 2

I haven't voted for any of the Utah names, but Mammoth(s) was the only one I really liked and I'm glad to see it's still in the running - despite the insistence on going without the plural s.

I feel like Yeti will be the inevitable winner since it's got the alliteration going for it. I don't hate it and won't mind if that's what they end up picking.

• Like 1

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I don't mind the Ducks keeping the colour scheme. The logo was always the bigger problem. As I've gotten older it bothers me more that the Mighty Ducks logo didn't feature any eggplant or silver, and instead used two colours that weren't anywhere else in the uniforms.

I'm probably even more of the odd one out, because as I've gotten older I've come to actually prefer the black/gold/orange ducks to the eggplant and jade. I still love the mighty ducks look, don't get me wrong, but as a child of the 2000s, I really like black and really like vegas gold. well, metallic gold, but you get the idea.

• Like 4

53Ocz8U.png

2 hours ago, MalibuSunrise said:

Yeti has likely already won but I voted for Mammoth.

I'd really love to see Qualtrics numbers on the vote, because I am pretty sure Mammoth, Yeti, Blizzard and Outlaws are legit top four options, but I feel like  Utah Hockey Club and Venom were thrown on there because one is the temp name and the other because it's a Ryan Smith favorite.

Heck, even KSL has basically reiterated that from this article.

In KSL.com's fan straw poll, Yeti, Outlaws, Mammoth and Blizzard were by far the four most popular of the 20 initial names. Venom and Hockey Club got considerably less support, finishing 10th and 11th in our poll.

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

At least the Ducks are FINALLY going back to the duck mask/Disney logo full time and not just as an alt. I'd def prefer they go back to purple and teal as well but the mask in current colors is a fine compromise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

I'm probably even more of the odd one out, because as I've gotten older I've come to actually prefer the black/gold/orange ducks to the eggplant and jade. I still love the mighty ducks look, don't get me wrong, but as a child of the 2000s, I really like black and really like vegas gold. well, metallic gold, but you get the idea.

The black jerseys with the phantom yoke did not age well snd looked horrible on television.

The last thing the Ducks need is black home jerseys

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.