2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

On 7/27/2024 at 1:27 PM, Chromatic said:

Completely agree.

Navy+Red+Gold can sometimes work if proportioned properly, though its almost always an uninteresting design.

I have yet to see an example of Blue+Red+Yellow that doesn't look incredibly garish, like the paint scheme inside an old fast food restaurant or primary school or amusement park or something.

Royal blue, red, and metallic gold is an awesome scheme in my book. 

Replace the metallic gold with yellow, and I’m not sure it’s even been tried aside from the Blues’ 1980s and 1990s looks, the (recent) Nuggets’ alt, the rainbow Nuggets, and Hawaii (the latter two made it work spectacularly, but they involved at least one additional color). Am I missing anything? More often it’s been either navy or metallic gold or both. 

4 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Royal blue, red, and metallic gold is an awesome scheme in my book. 

Replace the metallic gold with yellow, and I’m not sure it’s even been tried aside from the Blues’ 1980s and 1990s looks, the (recent) Nuggets’ alt, the rainbow Nuggets, and Hawaii (the latter two made it work spectacularly, but they involved at least one additional color). Am I missing anything? More often it’s been either navy or metallic gold or both. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Kansas City Scouts/Colorado Rockies. The franchise later became the Devils.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Fanatics probably just mailed it in with the New Era deal that was announced.

They mailed it in long before that...

At least 5+ years now.

(w/r/t everything not just designs)

• LOL 1

On 7/21/2024 at 7:23 PM, Ark said:

I really like the 80s Blues

63910b79163af.image.jpg?resize=1200,1692

This looks really good. And it uses all three primary colors by the way

This is a great looking uniform.  I remember watching hockey for the first time in the 1993 playoffs and not even noticing they had red until much later in life. 

At any rate, I like how yellow is the undisputed secondary colour.  The current uniforms are great but it could be argued that the amount of navy is too much and, as a consequence, relegates yellow to tertiary status.  I'd like to see a concept that takes the above uniform, replaces red with navy and uses the current blue-note with some minor tweaks.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

On 7/30/2024 at 7:16 PM, VikWings said:

The new Fanatics 'training camp' hats are more cheap looking crap like the draft and Cup champions hats were. Hopefully New Era does better.

7dc13ecc-f89a-4de0-a001-e9dd69782d1e__53

I hate "Property of" designs. No it's not. I bought it. The only design hokier is the NFL stuff that says like "INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: AFC SOUTH." That august institution, the AFC South.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Utah released their inaugural season logo and it seems like that's what will be used at centre ice this season. This picture is from the practice rink, but I think it's safe to assume the Delta Center will have a similar design. The state outline inside the red line is a nice touch.

spacer.png

They also gave us our first look at the socks in this graphic they posted. They'll be matching the sleeve striping from the jerseys.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

More of a post about general branding and not about the design itself. I  know from working for the Whitecaps when they launched in the MLS, the first season is massively important for people buying your gear and getting your branding out there. I believe we sold more jerseys and merch at the first game than we did all year.

I know they are in a tough spot, but the amount merch they have available is still very minimal. I am not sure how many people are going to want to spend $50 on a fairy plain t-shirt. Judging by what happened with the Jets, it does not seem like they will have jerseys available, so these shirts (and some hats) are really the only thing they are going to have to sell. The Jets also had a previous brand they could pull from, to help get merch out there. Utah does not have that luxury.

I am starting to think, it would have been better to inverse the colours and use baby blue for this first year just for the branding recognition that would come with it.  You'd notice far more people in a town wearing a shade of blue than what is a relatively plain black t-shirt.

It's a tough spot to be in, but they absolutely need better merch than this to sell

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

31 minutes ago, Klondyke said:

More of a post about general branding and not about the design itself. I  know from working for the Whitecaps when they launched in the MLS, the first season is massively important for people buying your gear and getting your branding out there. I believe we sold more jerseys and merch at the first game than we did all year.

I know they are in a tough spot, but the amount merch they have available is still very minimal. I am not sure how many people are going to want to spend $50 on a fairy plain t-shirt. Judging by what happened with the Jets, it does not seem like they will have jerseys available, so these shirts (and some hats) are really the only thing they are going to have to sell. The Jets also had a previous brand they could pull from, to help get merch out there. Utah does not have that luxury.

I am starting to think, it would have been better to inverse the colours and use baby blue for this first year just for the branding recognition that would come with it.  You'd notice far more people in a town wearing a shade of blue than what is a relatively plain black t-shirt.

It's a tough spot to be in, but they absolutely need better merch than this to sell

spacer.png

I disagree.  They know that the market for team-branded merchandise will be soft until they have a permanent brand. They've created just enough generic inventory to satiate the needs of people who might want something from this brief pre-logo period. But pushing out more merchandise, while knowing most fans will wait until the brand is revealed, would be a waste of capital.

• Like 2

The more time that has passed, the more I am thinking that this will be the complete color scheme they roll with. There could always be a last addition of another color, though I'm thinking they already committed to this matching up well enough with whatever name they choose.

8 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

The more time that has passed, the more I am thinking that this will be the complete color scheme they roll with. There could always be a last addition of another color, though I'm thinking this will ultimately stay the same.

Yeah I think it's a bit of a plain scheme, but it's somewhat unique and the number of black home uniforms in the league is still the same. From a branding standpoint it does make sense to have some sense of continuity between the inaugural season and the permanent set.

23 hours ago, Dynasty said:

The more time that has passed, the more I am thinking that this will be the complete color scheme they roll with. There could always be a last addition of another color, though I'm thinking they already committed to this matching up well enough with whatever name they choose.

They already stated that these colors are there to stay

Are we finally seeing the NHL adopt the logo-over-redline look? They've been doing it in all their marquee outdoor games for a few years now.

I personally love it. Although I still think the center line can be a bit more subtle like basketball courts. I think they could get away with just the white line rather than white and red. Or a thinner grey line.

Some shameless self-promotion: I would love to see the logos break out of the faceoff circle as well. I've got an entire thread in the concepts board for a new ice design for each team the logos are all over the center line and not bound by the center ice circle.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rygi13 said:

Are we finally seeing the NHL adopt the logo-over-redline look? They've been doing it in all their marquee outdoor games for a few years now.

I personally love it. Although I still think the center line can be a bit more subtle like basketball courts. I think they could get away with just the white line rather than white and red. Or a thinner grey line.

Some shameless self-promotion: I would love to see the logos break out of the faceoff circle as well. I've got an entire thread in the concepts board for a new ice design for each team the logos are all over the center line and not bound by the center ice circle.

I just miss the double logo era. I wish my Habs and the Flyers at the very least would go back to that

spacer.png

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I just miss the double logo era. I wish my Habs and the Flyers at the very least would go back to that

spacer.png

Flyers did go back to the dual logo

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 8/12/2024 at 1:41 PM, Klondyke said:

spacer.png

Yeah I'm not looking forward to having to potentially help make "hometown" graphics for the UHC when the time comes... 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 8/12/2024 at 10:41 AM, Klondyke said:

spacer.png

Sure baby Blue sticks out but I'd save it for when the Identity is completed and revealed. Plus getting baby blue stock in tees will be more difficult than other more common colors such as Black and White, and then you could have too much stock of baby blue tees with a place holder logo.

• Like 1

Re: centre ice logos and the red line, this is what the Ducks put in at their practice rink which might be what's also at the Honda Center. I do really wish that they would go back to the double logos and it would be kind of dumb for them to use the eye so prominently in the lead up to the reveal and then cover it up at centre ice.

7ZXaW7XRDHp85FYw_FZ2NLKAhPXwySPO-mpoaCke

Side note, looking at all the usage of the old logo in this photo, I do wonder what the "hidden" costs of a rebrand are. Things like signage, outreach efforts (the Jr. Ducks, Lady Ducks and High School league logos), etc.

• Facepalm 1

deK8sJk.png