2024 NFL Changes

12 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

While a new logo would be nice, I still have gripes with the current uniforms. They look like generic Dolphins uniforms if a film crew couldn’t get the licensing.

spacer.png

There are some positives here. I love the updated colors. I also love how they dropped the dark blue several years ago. However, I think that while aqua should be the main color (besides white), the current uniforms have too much aqua.

Look back at any Dolphins uniform, up until the 2013 rebrand. They all featured a prominent orange stripe down the middle of the helmet. Not only that, but they all featured a stripe pattern with white breaking up the colors. It just doesn’t feel right to see such a thick aqua stripe with only a little bit of orange. Dropping the navy years ago definitely fixed that a bit, but it still feels like the off brand Dolphins.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Is 34 Ricky Williams? That's my favorite aqua jersey of the Dolphins.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, gothedistance said:

Is 34 Ricky Williams? That's my favorite aqua jersey of the Dolphins.

It was mine too, but looking at it in context, it's too cartoony with all the unnecessary navy forced in.  The throwbacks, but with an aqua facemask, are now my favorite.

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The thing about the Packers getting an alternate helmet is that it could just be making their throwback accurate. Remember the throwback was introduced in 2021 when there was no alternate helmet rule. They did wear a yellow helmet in 1950 but in 1953 they had a gold helmet. 

Man the Packers sucked at having an identity Pre-Lombardi. It was all over the place.

1953_GreenBay.png

• Like 12

bSLCtu2.png

On 2/23/2024 at 10:48 AM, bowld said:

Props to @WSU151 for the info... The following teams appear to have new Alternate helmets coming this year-

* Ravens

* Vikings

* Broncos

* Lions

* Packers

* Giants

* Jets

* Jaguars

* Texans

I have to assume the Jets will have a new black helmet to match the new uniforms. Vikings likely white to wear at their whiteout game

As good as the current satin helmet looked with the throwbacks, I think it's more likely they go with the historically accurate helmet than a white one. But then again in todays NFL with icy white head to toe being so kewl it wouldn't surprise if they went with a totally unnecessary white helmet either.

• Like 2

The historically accurate Vikings helmets are already being sold by Riddell. 

This 2024 listing is advertised as a new addition to Riddell’s offering, which, imo, would mean it is most likely a white helmet. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, VikWings said:

As good as the current satin helmet looked with the throwbacks, I think it's more likely they go with the historically accurate helmet than a white one. But then again in todays NFL with icy white head to toe being so kewl it wouldn't surprise if they went with a totally unnecessary white helmet either.

Broncos seems interesting, considering all the ramblings of new uniforms. Also, what are the Giants going to do? They have their navy helmet, is it a white helmet, or red? Something else entirely?

15 hours ago, ruttep said:

Will never be a fan of the gapped number outline on these jerseys

Just like their white and aqua pants. I do not know why they did that in 1987, but I guess they wanted to copy the Chargers, Cowboys, and Saints. In 1974, the Chargers started that trend with the double trimmed block numbers which they use the jersey colors for that invisible space for the second trim color which is nice for its time but was a mid 1970's thing with the Chargers. Gotten popular by the 1980's when the Dallas Cowboys followed that style for their navy blue jerseys in 1981. Then the Saints did so in 1983 trying to make their uniforms look classy. Then later on, we get the Dolphins in 1987.

1974_SanDiego.png

1981_Dallas.png

1983_NewOrleans.png

1987_Miami.png

• Like 2

On 2/23/2024 at 2:45 PM, PurpleHayes said:

That WOULD be true if the Broncos hadn't won the Superb Bowl that year, breaking the 13-year AFC curse.  That's what likely led to the flurry of sidestripes, piping, unitards, shoehorning navy blue/black onto uniforms, and other uniform atrocities:

Patriots 2000

Bills 2002

Seahawks 2002

Falcons 2003

Cardinals 2005

Vikings 2006

Jaguars 2009

Seahawks 2012

Jaguars 2013

Buccaneers 2014

Browns 2015

Titans 2018

Falcons 2020

Perhaps if the Packers had won the game 34-6 like many predicted, that would have been the demise of those ugly trends, but Terrell Davis wore Gilbert Brown out by always running sweeps.

That's a different thread(ugliest uniforms won  championships in). Of the 13 teams you listed, Only the Pats, Bucs and Seahawks WON a SuperBowl in them and even though I liked the creamsicles, the 1997 Buccaneers looked "normal" without all the piping, striping, weird number fonts. All I'm sayin is when I first saw those Bronco uniforms,  I thought they were  overdone . As history has shown us, after 1997, we've seen some of the ugliest uniforms in NFL history, especially the one you listed, the 2002 Bills, and look how many teams changed since then compared to pre 1997.

On 2/24/2024 at 11:04 AM, Old School Fool said:

The thing about the Packers getting an alternate helmet is that it could just be making their throwback accurate. Remember the throwback was introduced in 2021 when there was no alternate helmet rule. They did wear a yellow helmet in 1950 but in 1953 they had a gold helmet. 

Man the Packers sucked at having an identity Pre-Lombardi. It was all over the place.

1953_GreenBay.png

I was looking through GUD the other day and my jaw dropped to the floor when I saw that the Packers didn't have green on their uniforms until 1935. IMO, this might be the most obscure/weird Packers uniforms:
spacer.png

It feels more like something the early-era Eagles would had worn.

• Like 1

rAUPGPZ.png

1 hour ago, GrayJ12 said:

I was looking through GUD the other day and my jaw dropped to the floor when I saw that the Packers didn't have green on their uniforms until 1935. IMO, this might be the most obscure/weird Packers uniforms:
spacer.png

That was a typical type of pattern for football uniforms in the 1920s/1930s. Bears and Steelers both wore throwbacks of that style in 1994.

pittsburgh_steelers_1994_75th_anniversar

1994_throwback.jpg

The long forgotten Dayton Triangles and Frankford Yellow Jackets (Eagles) took things a step further. When someone tells you football uniforms are too flashy just remember flashy designs were always a thing.

1929_Dayton.png

1929_Frankford.png

• Like 2

bSLCtu2.png

3 hours ago, GrayJ12 said:

spacer.png

Ironically the Packers and Eagles both switched from Blue and Yellow to Green in 1935.

Honestly, uniform histories are weird like that. Most teams didn't really settle into their classic identities until the 50s and 60s and so there's a lot of random, obscure things like that.

Off the top of my head, the lions started out in purple and then primarily wore red one season, the Steelers didn't start wearing their famous jerseys until the late 60s, the Bears didn't settle on their look until the 50s and even then the current orange wishbone didn't show up until the 70s.

• Like 2

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

6 minutes ago, MDGP said:

Ironically the Packers and Eagles both switched from Blue and Yellow to Green in 1935.

Honestly, uniform histories are weird like that. Most teams didn't really settle into their classic identities until the 50s and 60s and so there's a lot of random, obscure things like that.

Off the top of my head, the lions started out in purple and then primarily wore red one season, the Steelers didn't start wearing their famous jerseys until the late 60s, the Bears didn't settle on their look until the 50s and even then the current orange wishbone didn't show up until the 70s.

I remembered this article that talks about the Packer uniform history. There's misperceptions, in part due to those NFL Uniform plaques that may or may not have been accurate 🙂

https://www.packers.com/news/were-the-1921-acme-packers-jerseys-blue-white-or-blue-gold

It's where I sit.

22 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I remembered this article that talks about the Packer uniform history. There's misperceptions, in part due to those NFL Uniform plaques that may or may not have been accurate 🙂

https://www.packers.com/news/were-the-1921-acme-packers-jerseys-blue-white-or-blue-gold

It makes me think the "he picked the color to match Notre Dame" is just another thing made up by someone years later. Reminds me of how when I was at Penn State, there was this persistent myth that they switched from Black and Pink to Blue and White because the colors faded in the sun (I want to say that's the same myth surrounding the Arizona Cardinals' name origins too)

Speaking of yellow vs. white, I've always loved the Michigan Heritage Jersey mix-up. Despite the guy who runs the site explicitly saying he messed up and the jersey was actually white, I still see people use this image as proof they wore all yellow in the 60s.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1437/3814/files/Michigan_poster.jpg?15109056179843859727

• Like 4

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!