2024 NFL Changes

17 hours ago, rfraser85 said:

Contrasting socks would help, but I think @maz meant the entire uniform, socks included.

I can take or leave contrasting socks. Doesn't matter to me too much. Contrasting helmet is usually a no-go for me on a monochrome set. If the socks match, then that helps. Bengals all-black with the usual tiger stripe helmet didn't look too bad to me, but the Cards and Bills going out there with all red or blue and white helmets looked "off" to me.

In general, when it comes to this, some colors don't work, and it depends in part on other uniform details. Steelers all-black color rush? Awesome. All-blue Broncos? Not bad. All-white Colts? Hell yeah. However, all-lime-green Seahawks, all-orange Dolphins, or all-yellow Rams? Trash 'em. It's a case-by-case thing. 

It's a prevalent trend now, but trends often do die out. Like the bright colors and lots of monochrome sets baseball had in the 70's, I don't see a lot of teams experimenting with this forever.

• Like 1

oBIgzrL.png

5 hours ago, NYCdog said:

Why do the Texans have to come up with a work around and even be dictated on that colors usage on their own uniforms?

Trademark law.  Also, why would they allow a football team in Houston to wear light blue and red uniforms, which would very likely impact their ability to sell old Oilers jerseys, and potentially create confusion when they wore the throwbacks?  It's crappy, but that's how capitalism and trademarks work.  Can't really blame her.

The bigger point here is that in cases like Cleveland and Houston, where it's likely that another team will eventually be there, the leagues should always start the new team as a brand-new team and hold back the paper for the new team.  If I'm a fan in a city that lost their team then got one back shortly later, it's not like I'm going to forget about the records and great players that played there, and the current guys are always going to be compared to them.

Anyway, to whoever said that nobody cared about the Oilers move, LOL, you're clearly too young to have lived through the NFL's relocation era.

• Like 3
  • Yawn 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, maz said:

I can take or leave contrasting socks. Doesn't matter to me too much. Contrasting helmet is usually a no-go for me on a monochrome set. If the socks match, then that helps. Bengals all-black with the usual tiger stripe helmet didn't look too bad to me, but the Cards and Bills going out there with all red or blue and white helmets looked "off" to me.

In general, when it comes to this, some colors don't work, and it depends in part on other uniform details. Steelers all-black color rush? Awesome. All-blue Broncos? Not bad. All-white Colts? Hell yeah. However, all-lime-green Seahawks, all-orange Dolphins, or all-yellow Rams? Trash 'em. It's a case-by-case thing. 

It's a prevalent trend now, but trends often do die out. Like the bright colors and lots of monochrome sets baseball had in the 70's, I don't see a lot of teams experimenting with this forever.

Understood. I must have misunderstood your original point because I don't consider a uniform with contrasting socks to be monochrome.

9 hours ago, burgundy said:

That roundel has absolutely horrid readability.

Looks like either something from an SNES football game, or clip art copied from Create-a-Card. 

The city of Houston had that color blue before the oilers existed.

The oilers used it.

The oilers LEFT and took it with them.

The Texans are using the color for their city.

I don't know why people don't understand this.

• Like 6

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

3 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

The oilers used it.

Marketing teams fault. These people love to trademark something that does not belong to them.

The great irony surrounding this Titans-Texans situation is that when the Texans incorporate the "H-Town Blue" into their color scheme, they end up looking a lot more like the Titans than the Oilers. It completes this weird cycle of teams feeling like their identity is being infringed on by somebody else. 

Amy Adams Strunk defending her family's IP from organizations brazenly trying to steal it is not equivalent to throwing a fit either. I don't think that the University of Houston literally just trying to appropriate a uniform that has nothing to do with them shouldn't be viewed as some great moment of justice either, but rather a bush league move for a mid level program trying to create impressions online.

It's like Warren said, create your own identity, and I honestly think that the new Texans uniforms do a pretty decent job of that outside of the H-Town Blue costumes. 

• Like 4

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

The oilers used it.

Exactly. As I’ve posted before below, I have no issue with the Titans embracing the Oilers history. But it’s clear Amy Adams Strunk was attempting lord over the use of a color that was tied to Houston long before her father founded the Oilers. 

I have never seen a case where one franchise was allowed to dictate how another franchise could use a specific color that had history in that market far beyond sports as to what happened with the Texans HTown Blue Alternate uniform. That is the issue I have with this topic. It was totally about that one specific color no matter how anyone tries to spin it. 

19 hours ago, NYCdog said:

I have no issue with the Titans embracing the Oilers history. But Amy Adams Strunk’s attempts to lord over the use of a color is where I draw the line, especially when that color has history in that city beyond sports 

NYCdog.png

23 minutes ago, henburg said:

The great irony surrounding this Titans-Texans situation is that when the Texans incorporate the "H-Town Blue" into their color scheme, they end up looking a lot more like the Titans than the Oilers. It creates this weird ouroboros of team's feeling like their identity is being infringed on by somebody else. 

Amy Adams Strunk defending her family's IP from organizations brazenly trying to steal it is not equivalent to throwing a fit either. I don't think that the University of Houston literally just trying to appropriate a uniform that has nothing to do with them shouldn't be viewed as some great moment of justice either, but rather a bush league move for a mid level program trying to create impressions online.

It's like Warren said, create your own identity, and I honestly think that the new Texans uniforms do a pretty decent job of that outside of the H-Town Blue costumes. 

I don’t think the Texans HTown Blue uniform will look anything like the Titans now or in the past. The usage of red will stand out more then HTown Blue, in particular on the helmet. While there is a light blue H, the pitch blue helmet shell with metallic red flakes reminds me of the Jags old teal flaked helmet, which I really liked. The red glow of this dark blue helmet should look really interesting in proper lighting. 

• Like 1
NYCdog.png

48 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

The oilers used it.

How is this Houston's color before the Oilers? I'm not challenging, I'm just asking. 

1 minute ago, raz said:

How is this Houston's color before the Oilers? I'm not challenging, I'm just asking. 

As I recall, Houston PD used it for their cars

• Like 8

It's where I sit.

Boyyy some people need to take about 8 or 9 chill pills...or maybe 89 chill pills. It really ain't that serious.

• Like 2
  • Hurl 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Eyeroll 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

14 hours ago, Cujo said:

"The Cleveland Browns were deactivated and were never an expansion team!!!"

undefined 

In case the Mothership wants to add it to the site:

spacer.png

• Like 9

Besides the upside-down text, that helmet / facemask is so hard to look at - please spolier-tag that disaster of a logo.

• LOL 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

53 minutes ago, raz said:

The city flag. 

• Like 1
NYCdog.png

8 minutes ago, NYCdog said:
1 hour ago, raz said:

The city flag. 

Right.

FLAG of the City of CHICAGO, Illinois IL, 3′x5′ | Chicago flag, Chicago  aesthetic, Flag

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Facepalm 1

6uXNWAo.png