Wear them exactly like #42 would've...

nybatt

I love the reality of #42's being worn around the league today... love even more the name-less look to almost all the teams who usually wear them....

BUT...

what a let-down to see some of the #42-clad players wearing their pants at their ankles... as I scan the early games it looks like a 50-50 split on players taking part...

heard a pre-game interview with curtis granderson of the tigers stating that he always wears his pants at knee-height as an honor to Negro-league players... I figured that rationale would be used with all the athletes participating today... not the case...

and by the way... am I the only one aggrivated to hear sportscasters and others state that players are "wearing their socks up".... actually the socks are always up, even though they are hidden... its the pant legs that are up, stoopid!!... sorry to veer off the path a bit...

we'll see what happens in the later games today....

here's hoping that all the teams in the rained out games today will be allowed to take part in the tribute another time... ...

Is there a list of who is wearing (or wore) No. 42?

Angels: Gary Matthews Jr. (RAINED OUT)

Astros: All players (RAINED OUT)

Athletics: Milton Bradley

Blue Jays: Vernon Wells, Frank Thomas, Royce Clayton and hitting coach Mickey Brantley

Braves: Andruw Jones

Brewers: All players

Cardinals: All players

Cubs: Derrek Lee, Cliff Floyd, Jacque Jones, Daryle Ward, hitting coach Gerald Perry, bullpen coach Lester Strode

Devil Rays: Carl Crawford

Diamondbacks: Orlando Hudson, Tony Clark, Chris Young, Scott Hairston and first-base coach Lee Tinsley

Dodgers: All players

Giants: Barry Bonds (RAINED OUT)

Indians: Josh Barfield, Grady Sizemore and C.C. Sabathia

Mariners: Arthur Rhodes

Marlins: Dontrelle Willis

Mets: Manager Willie Randolph (RAINED OUT)

Nationals: Dmitri Young (RAINED OUT)

Orioles: Corey Patterson (RAINED OUT)

Padres: Mike Cameron

Phillies: All players (RAINED OUT)

Pirates: All players (RAINED OUT)

Rangers: Jerry Hairston Jr., Kenny Lofton, manager Ron Washington, first-base coach Gary Pettis

Red Sox: Coco Crisp, David Ortiz, third-base coach DeMarlo Hale (RAINED OUT)

Reds: Ken Griffey Jr.

Rockies: LaTroy Hawkins

Royals: Reggie Sanders, Emil Brown (RAINED OUT)

Tigers: Gary Sheffield, Curtis Granderson, Marcus Thames, Craig Monroe, Ivan Rodriguez and hitting coach Lloyd McClendon

Twins: Torii Hunter, Rondell White and first base coach Jerry White

White Sox: Alex Cintron, Jermaine Dye, Jim Thome, first-base coach Harold Baines and third-base coach Razor Shines

Yankees: Mariano Rivera (uniform No. 42 grandfathered in 1997), Robinson Cano, Derek Jeter and manager Joe Torre

capt.1e58a33c3df24a049d9ff8a5010bd563.reds_cubs_baseball_cxc105.jpg

fullj.getty-73394765js002_new_york_yank_4_53_12_pm.jpg

capt.8ebebe4486db44ffb18751dd41457e18.white_sox_indians_baseball_ohtd103.jpg

capt.5c7262a09de4434bae04575d4d1661f0.blue_jays_tigers_baseball_cptd114.jpg

capt.665e2155c47e467983583777033b717a.blue_jays_tigers__baseball_cptd107.jpg

capt.540a12e65a7a4bdcbb57ea95bfe3aad3.devil_rays_twins_baseball_mnak104.jpg

capt.69250efa843b42bcb2d44b7f0ef36afe.marlins_braves_baseball_gags108.jpg

capt.f7fba4e342a74334865120a875eb5d6c.white_sox_indians_baseball_ohtd101.jpg

capt.8b020a9de1b5439284b0922c0a2a7332.brewers_cardinals_baseball_mojr102.jpg

capt.335dfb91626c4253ac555cd339df7f48.brewers_cardinals_baseball_mojr103.jpg

capt.24d74b69bd754b0ab6fdafccc5636382.marlins_braves_baseball_gags104.jpg

here's hoping that all the teams in the rained out games today will be allowed to take part in the tribute another time... ...

Well it says on mets.com that a celebration WILL take place at a later time to be determined...

Friday Night at Shea

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I love Bonds and everything, but why are they letting him wear 42.

So you think they should celebrate breaking barriers by putting up one?

As you make clear, it'd be wrong to not allow Bonds to wear 42.

I can't help but feel the tribute is a little bit hollow coming from him though.

He's used his race so much as a means to get ahead or gain sympathy whilst Robinson had to do things in spite of his race and broke a barrier so that his race might have opportunities and one day (we're still not there) race wouldn't even be considered a major difference in a person.

I can't remember who it was talking about it, but they were talking about Hank Aaron and Barry Bonds and how the fact that a lot of people that are rooting against Barry couldn't care less about race as they fully support Aaron's hold on the record. I think it may have been St. Louis Post-Dispatch sports columnist Bernie Miklasz.

Anyways, what he said was something to the extent of (not an exact quote) "Aaron and Bonds are such complete opposites. Hank Aaron was such a great human being." And then he moved on, never finishing the contrast, but it made his point even clearer (and more comical too).

I think the same could very much apply in a comparison of Jackie Robinson and Bonds.

But I've gone off-topic.

Regardless of all that I've mentioned, it would be wrong for the MLB to tell any one player that they could not participate in this tribute.

Also, here's a shot of Preston Wilson, one of the players that I know of that did show his socks (who usually does not).

capt.6091428cdf7f415384dd4dcba94b9a23.brewers_cardinals_baseball_mojr105.jpg

He's used his race so much as a means to get ahead or gain sympathy whilst Robinson had to do things in spite of his race and broke a barrier so that his race might have opportunities and one day (we're still not there) race wouldn't even be considered a major difference in a person.

Very well said.

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

JackieRobinson_Apr151947.jpg

Dodgers_vertlogo1947.gif

I'm a lil confused, is this pic in response to anything?

I thought today's festivites were nice, but listening to Jason Smith on the radio right now he brings up a good point. He's talking about how today seemed way bigger than the 50th anniversary 10 years ago, when they retired his number but really didn't do much else. And I admit, at times I thought the telecasts (especially the ESPN Dodgers game) were a little oversaturated with Jackie. With Mrs. Robinson and then Frank Robinson in the booth, I don't know that Joe Morgan spoke a word about the game being played in front of him. If I was a Padres fan I know I would've put it on mute by the 4th or 5th inning. Not to diminish the accomplishment at all, and I don't wanna sound insensitive, but it just seems like the league took a nice gesture by Ken Griffey and turned it into this enormous spectacle.

But then, I've already accepted the fact that the NHL playoffs are never gonna be the lead on Sportscenter anytime soon...

Archived