2007-2008 NHL Logos & Uniforms

BBM

About this debate...

Will there be a great recall of the RBK sweaters?

I don't think so.

This is and always has been a money grab by the NHL, it's teams and RBK.

As long as John Q. Public keeps shelling out +300$ for these jerseys, RBK will keep making them. Players and GMs be damned.

thecatch.jpg

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone else want to place bets on how long it's going to be before the old sweaters come back? I'll set the over/under at three months. RBK really shat the bed on this one.

I'll take your bet. The old sweaters won't be back. The NHL will just slightly alter these RBK uniforms until the bitches subsides. The NHL and RBK have too much money invested in this to go back on it now, and plus the fact they it would make them seem like idiots in a business sense. The jerseys are here to stay people, get used to it.

Agreed. The main thing that has so many with thier panties in a bunch is not what was changed about the jerseys, but THE FACT THAT THERE IS A CHANGE AT ALL. Whenever something different is introduced, for better or for worse, the vast majority have a tendency to immediately dismiss the change as being inferior to what was in place before, without reserving judgement and without question.

Imagine if something like this exsisted in the late 1940's, when plastic football helmets were introduced.

Could you imagine the ranting.....

PLASTIC!!!??!!? WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY THINKING!!!?!?!?! YOU MEAN THEY ARE GONNA PUT LOGOS AND STRIPES ON THEM!!?!?! HOW TACKY!!!!!!!!! DEATH TO RIDDELL THEY ARE RUINING FOOTBALL!!!!

Why?? Because it is CHANGE. Everyone is scared of change. Whenever something changes there is mass resistence. Some of it warranted but more often than not, its exaggerated.

Great article from John Bucigross (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=buccigross_john&id=3055558)

"1. Those jerseys

Every NHL player looks as if he is wearing a boy's medium T-shirt purchased at Express from the local mall instead of a NHL jersey. This is something one would expect a weightlifter from South Jersey to wear out to dinner with the Mrs. at Applebee's, not Andrew Cogliano at Joe Louis Arena.

2. Jeremy and those jerseys

Upon further review, the San Jose Sharks are wearing arguably the ugliest uniforms in any team sport in the history of team sports. When Art Howe was wearing a polyester Houston Astros uniform in the Astrodome circa 1981, maybe that was the worst; but that is hotly debatable because Howe was so hot in '81. When I see these Sharks uniforms on television, I think I'm watching a skit from "Full House" in which Joey Gladstone goes five-hole on a stumbling Uncle Jesse. These Sharks are so 1991, so "Yo! MTV Raps." "Everybody dance now!" These things need to be put into a dumpster, set on fire and rolled down a mountain as soon as possible. Then again, maybe that's why Jeremy Roenick is off to a good start. He thinks it's actually 1991."

first point valid.

second point. Sorry Bucci, but the Sharks aren't nowhere near the worst jerseys ever category. Let me direct you to Buffaslug, Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado, Florida and Nashville and formerly mooterus, blues trumpet third and flying V. Now those are among the worst ever. San Jose was in the top 3 of improvements behind Boston and Columbus.

Yeah, i'm not exactly sure why Bucci's baggin on the Sharks unis when there's at least 10 others in the NHL (and more than a few right in the Sharks' own division) that are much, much worse.

And the NHL isn't gonna dump the RBK togs. In fact, i'm already getting used to 'em. Quite frankly, the teeth-gnashin on the new sweaters is getting kinda old.

ive not heard 1 Caps player complain about the new jerseys. theyve even went out of their way to say that they havent experienced the same problems as others around the league have been talking about. as long as my boys are happy with them, im happy with them. not to mention all gear with the new rw&b colors (including the jerseys) have been flying off the shelves, so count DC as one of those cities that love the new jerseys. i havent gotten the chance to feel the jersey or experience it for myself so i'll reserve judgement till i can as the closest store that would sell them is 45 mins away from me.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

And the NHL isn't gonna dump the RBK togs. In fact, i'm already getting used to 'em. Quite frankly, the teeth-gnashin on the new sweaters is getting kinda old.

Yes, but their is a difference between fans complaining about the captain's "C" across the pipping and players complaining about sweaters tearing and about water collecting in their gloves and skates. Aesthetics is in the eye of the beholder, but any functional problems with the uniforms needs to be addressed.

As long as John Q. Public keeps shelling out +300$ for these jerseys, RBK will keep making them. Players and GMs be damned.

I think that's more of an "if" than an "As long as"....

When "as long as" runs out then the 3rd jerseys will start coming out.

I went to the Stars home opener and was shocked at how many fans were wearing the new jerseys, specifically the home black. I personally like the white jerseys better but it seems I'm in the minority.

usa-sm.giffinland-sm.gifstars1-sm.gifdall1-sm.gif

If the crowd in Minnesota is any indicator, these jerseys aren't exactly flying off the shelves.

If I was a Minnesota fan I wouldn't be buying a new uniform either. They barely changed anything.

However, as a Lightning fan, I do plan on getting one of the new uniforms.

Does anyone else want to place bets on how long it's going to be before the old sweaters come back? I'll set the over/under at three months. RBK really shat the bed on this one.

I'll take your bet. The old sweaters won't be back. The NHL will just slightly alter these RBK uniforms until the bitches subsides. The NHL and RBK have too much money invested in this to go back on it now, and plus the fact they it would make them seem like idiots in a business sense. The jerseys are here to stay people, get used to it.

what if the changes involve getting rid of the tight sleeves and making them baggier, like last years template? thats as close as i see it going

i see them scrapping the socks though, theres no good to come from those

In tonights Blues/ Preds game, Keith Tkachuk is wearing his old pants shells, not the new ones with the piping.

Not the best pic, but he's wearing the ones with the piping...

20071010_rvr_sr6_153_lower.jpg

Weird...i KNOW he didnt have em on during the opening faceoff...and I coulda sworn he didn't in the third period, either.

ive not heard 1 Caps player complain about the new jerseys. theyve even went out of their way to say that they havent experienced the same problems as others around the league have been talking about. as long as my boys are happy with them, im happy with them. not to mention all gear with the new rw&b colors (including the jerseys) have been flying off the shelves, so count DC as one of those cities that love the new jerseys. i havent gotten the chance to feel the jersey or experience it for myself so i'll reserve judgement till i can as the closest store that would sell them is 45 mins away from me.

but to be fair, the whole jersey has changed and alot of people don't want to be the loser wearing the crappy black copper blue stuff that they had. so that is partly to "blame" or the reason why the new stuff is flying off the shelves. people have been wanting a return to the red white and blue for a long time.. but other teams that have the same logo and stuff people just don't see the need.. even here in ottawa you do not see many new unis. red is red and white is white. if we would have changed our identity then our new jerseys would be selling well too.... I've seen all the jerseys road and home, touched them all and for the most part its just a big.. ugh.... i had originally liked the sharks set. but after seeing them on the ice i cannot stand them one bit... same as the bruins... loved them when they unveiled them but hate 'em on the ice. I do love the caps homies. but they would have been awesome whether it was rbk edge, or ccm, or friggin osh kosh b'gosh for that matter... i just love the subtleties of the W eagle logo with the capitol building and the washington monument... very classy.

sig.png

what if the changes involve getting rid of the tight sleeves and making them baggier, like last years template? thats as close as i see it going

i see them scrapping the socks though, theres no good to come from those

You're right about the socks. Mikko Koivu (I think) took a scary looking slide into the boards in the Oilers / Wild game last night that can be attributed to them and their Cooperall no-friction sliding effect. He fell turning toward the side boards, sliding on his legs feet first towards them. He fell from far enough away that the sliding should have slowed him down and allowed him to recover, but instead he appeared to lose almost none of his speed and crashed into the boards very awkwardly and dangerously (think serious ankle injury).

Also, a blog article from Wired talking about the alleged performance increases RBK has claimed for the Edge system.

So to sum things up:

1. the Reebok "uniform system" doesn't live up to it's performance benefit claims

a. wind resistance gains are negligable.

b. dangerous for fighters because they either can be pulled over the head of an opponent easier or make it harder to hold onto which is dangerous for any mismatched fighters

c. water resistant jersey ensures that water ends up in unwanted places like skates and gloves

d. slippery socks may cause players to slide further/faster potentially resulting in dangerous collisions with the boards

e. jerseys and socks are known to tear easily

f. jerseys are much hotter contrary to Reebok's claims

f. numerous complaints from players about all of the above

2. outside of a few teams, the jerseys are considered less attractive by most hockey fans.

3. they are more expensive for the fans to purchase

It's safe to say the naysayers have won the debate here. Clearly the new Reebok uniforms are of no benefit to anyone except Reebok and those fans that have to buy every new uniform that comes out. The NHL desperately need to rethink this disaster. The least Reebok should do is ditch the socks and change the cut and make up of the uniform for next season.

DEATH TO REEBOK

So to sum things up:

1. the Reebok "uniform system" doesn't live up to it's performance benefit claims

b. dangerous for fighters because they either can be pulled over the head of an opponent easier or make it harder to hold onto which is dangerous for any mismatched fighters

c. water resistant jersey ensures that water ends up in unwanted places like skates and gloves

d. slippery socks may cause players to slide further/faster potentially resulting in dangerous collisions with the boards

2. outside of a few teams, the jerseys are considered less attractive by most hockey fans.

It's safe to say the naysayers have won the debate here. Clearly the new Reebok uniforms are of no benefit to anyone except Reebok and those fans that have to buy every new uniform that comes out. The NHL desperately need to rethink this disaster. The least Reebok should do is ditch the socks and change the cut and make up of the uniform for next season.

Hammer, meet head of nail.

oBIgzrL.png

So to sum things up:

Hammer, meet head of nail.

Seconded

Archived