NFL Monochrome MADNESS!

tBBP

Also, just to clarify for those who asked, the Chiefs and Redskins have never gone mono.

Nor have the Pittsburgh Steelers. The team's players have asked to, but Dan Rooney, in a triumph of good taste, basically told them, "Not while I'm still alive."

Are you saying they've asked to wear black pants? There's no other way they COULD go mono, which means adding a new pair of pants to their set. Can you make "minor" changes like that without league approval?

I think it would have been the other way around - I thought I read somewhere (probably on this board :D ) that the Steelers were considering a yellow alt jersey, particularly for use in September for road games in hot-weather cities like Jacksonville, etc. where the home team wears white forcing them to wear black.

So...all YELLOW?!? If they do that, they need to just wear the throwback helmet too. Here's a rough Photoshop of what that would look like:

banana.jpg

Hey, I never said it was a good idea, just the idea they were kicking around :P

I don't recall for sure but think it was all-gold that was brought up. Rooney, however, shot it down. Thankfully. Either way (gold or black), they'd look like hell.

nav-logo.png

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I've decided to characterize the good, bad, and "meh" of monochrome. Good because it flows, bad because it's ugly, and "meh" because it doesn't make sense at all.

Good

Seahawks

Ravens (I seriously think it should be the primary, because it makes so much sense. Raven = black.)

Falcons

Broncos

Chargers (pre 2007-08 unis)

Titans (both the navy and columbia blue)

Bad

Cardinals(both sets of uniforms)

Dolphins

Eagles

Patriots

Saints

Jets (seriously reminded me of gangrene.)

Bengals (both eras)

Meh

Jaguars

Texans

Rams

Bears

Could Be Disastrous

Redskins

Chiefs

Browns (Can you say Doo-Doo Browns?)

Raiders (I've heard they've got a set of silver jerseys lying in wait for the day Al Davis passes on.)

49ers (I've heard they've got a set of gold jerseys lying in wait for the day the franchise hits rock bottom.)

49ers (I've heard they've got a set of gold jerseys lying in wait for the day the franchise hits rock bottom.)

You mean it hasn't? I would like for teams to have alts such as Steelers yellow, 49ers gold, Raiders silver.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

I don't always like the monochrome look, but I don't see why so many people think it's ugly or in bad taste. When you wear a suit, your jacket matches your pants. Same goes for a baseball and basketball uniform. It's about the status quo and not liking those that stray from it. When a football team trots off the beaten path of dark jersey, light pants to go monochromatic, there is disdain because it's not 'the norm'. Same goes for a basketball team that rolls out an old-school uniform where the shorts don't match the shirt, like the Wizards. I don't think it's a very attractive uniform, but I would expect the same reaction no matter how great a uniform it was just because it 'looks funny' compared to today's uniform.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

OK, I've decided to characterize the good, bad, and "meh" of monochrome. Good because it flows, bad because it's ugly, and "meh" because it doesn't make sense at all.

Good

Seahawks

Ravens (I seriously think it should be the primary, because it makes so much sense. Raven = black.)Falcons

Broncos

Chargers (pre 2007-08 unis)

Titans (both the navy and columbia blue)

I completely agree with you on this one, on all counts.

I don't always like the monochrome look, but I don't see why so many people think it's ugly or in bad taste. When you wear a suit, your jacket matches your pants. Same goes for a baseball and basketball uniform. It's about the status quo and not liking those that stray from it. When a football team trots off the beaten path of dark jersey, light pants to go monochromatic, there is disdain because it's not 'the norm'. Same goes for a basketball team that rolls out an old-school uniform where the shorts don't match the shirt, like the Wizards. I don't think it's a very attractive uniform, but I would expect the same reaction no matter how great a uniform it was just because it 'looks funny' compared to today's uniform.

One color baseball uniforms are white and/or gray, which in Football, look good (white on white, though you never see gray on gray.) Anytime you see a color top in baseball, it's with white or gray pants. And Basketball uniforms are loose-fitting tank tops and shorts. Not large headwear, "short"... uh, "sleeve" shirts and tight pants with full-length socks.

So there is a difference.

"Seriously"?

Their green on green uniform conjures up images of gangrene???

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

"Seriously"?

Classic uniforms and monochromes don't mix.

Nobody is arguing that - but I'm not sure how any sports uniform can "seriously" remind one of dead and decaying tissue.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

"Seriously"?

Nobody is arguing that - but I'm not sure how any sports uniform can "seriously" remind one of dead and decaying tissue.

good point.

I know this is Bucco B's thread. I know who is football team is. I know he does a lot of cool concepts...will he do the "almost" monochrome of the creamcicle Bucs? I may be wrong, but word on the street was they were to go orange/orange in their last game of a season, but Hardy Nickerson said they looked to silly or something along those lines. I thought (the way the story went) that it was all ready to go and they had to go get the white pants out. I'm sure he's got the scoop.

Since I'm too lazy to sift through the pages, did someone post the Purple/Purple Vikes of way back (if you're listing older teams)?

KISSwall09.jpg

Monochrome Madness is OK for one game a year, but that should be IT.

Bucco, you could say that MM started at the end of the 2001 season, when the Aints wore all-black for their last two home games, both losses to Washington and San Fran. Why those eyesores simmered in the minds of NFL players during the off-season is beyond me...all I remember hearing is that the Seahawks and Bills players PREFERRED the Monochrome Madness uniforms, proving that NFL players have little taste.

They wore the all black for the first time in a road game that year at Carolina, and won. I really didn't like the look back then but it's kind of grown on me. What makes it look bad is the gold helmet, which doesn't match the jersey or pants or even the gold in the numbers.

And if you're a Falcons fan, I understand completely why you're blue this year. B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I know this is Bucco B's thread. I know who is football team is. I know he does a lot of cool concepts...will he do the "almost" monochrome of the creamcicle Bucs? I may be wrong, but word on the street was they were to go orange/orange in their last game of a season, but Hardy Nickerson said they looked to silly or something along those lines. I thought (the way the story went) that it was all ready to go and they had to go get the white pants out. I'm sure he's got the scoop.

Since I'm too lazy to sift through the pages, did someone post the Purple/Purple Vikes of way back (if you're listing older teams)?

I think someone did a photoshop to create and all creamsicle Bucs, but it was a couple of years ago.

Regarding the Vikings, I'm pretty sure they did all combos including purple monochrome during their unveiling last year.

I'd love to see a monochrome of the old Patriots unis. If someone could do a photoshop of the old Pat Patriot red unis/red pants and post it here, I would be forever grateful. :D

"Seriously"?

good point.

Maybe I should've just said "Looks really, really, really bad." :P

Thankfully, I'm glad the Redskins have resisted the temptation to join this pandemic seeping throughout football.

But I fear it'll happen. My best guess for as to when will be the next time they're scheduled for a Thanksgiving game at Dallas.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

Thankfully, I'm glad the Redskins have resisted the temptation to join this pandemic seeping throughout football.

But I fear it'll happen. My best guess for as to when will be the next time they're scheduled for a Thanksgiving game at Dallas.

I doubt it'll happen while Joe Gibbs is around. He has you guys wearing the white as a home jersey almost as often as your Worst/Mortal Enemies in Texas.

I doubt it'll happen while Joe Gibbs is around. He has you guys wearing the white as a home jersey almost as often as your Worst/Mortal Enemies in Texas.

Gibbs would never do it, he's a White Jersey Supremacist. The Skins have worn white at home for every home game he's been there since 1981. The all-burgundy look reminds me of this:

197601.jpg

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Archived