NHL Jersey Discussion - 08-09 3rds

oakland ehs

I'm so glad Super Nintendo is icing a team agai, but I'm surprised they went with red and black instead of grey and purple. Times change, I suppose.

Super Nintendo's initials are SNES not SENS. Anyway, when I heard the description for the Sens third I pictured the wordmark at a much smaller angle, kind of like the wordmark on the Ducks' jersey. Hopefully I'm right because that looks terrible.

The angle thing like the old Ducks "Anaheim" jersey (always reminded me of a 50's car logo) is exactly what I've been thinking. I think people are misinterpreting what is meant by the "going up to the right" thing. Berger also said it was "quite an attractive wordmark" which that concept is not. Nobody ever said it HAD to be individual letters just pasted on like the Rangers, and an angled wordmark would make that jersey look 10x better. I have confidence that it will not be the utter disaster people are expecting.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Re you sure they are legit because those aren't official graphics they are something someone made and uploaded onto hockey widgets?

They are from Jerseydatabase.com and based upon HockeyBuzz's Howard Berger wvivid descriptions of the alternates.

Thats the sort of info you should post with images like this, so people know what they're looking at.

I like the old Canuck's vintage third, but I think maybe its time for something new. Other than the CityNameWhale, they're basically rolling with a vintage look in current normal jerseys. I'd like to see something a bit more distinct from the regular jerseys in a third. Now, if they'd done the smart thing and just gone back to the vintages as their full time jerseys, maybe we would have more potential for something different as a third.

I'm so glad Super Nintendo is icing a team agai, but I'm surprised they went with red and black instead of grey and purple. Times change, I suppose.

Super Nintendo's initials are SNES not SENS. Anyway, when I heard the description for the Sens third I pictured the wordmark at a much smaller angle, kind of like the wordmark on the Ducks' jersey. Hopefully I'm right because that looks terrible.

The angle thing like the old Ducks "Anaheim" jersey (always reminded me of a 50's car logo) is exactly what I've been thinking. I think people are misinterpreting what is meant by the "going up to the right" thing. Berger also said it was "quite an attractive wordmark" which that concept is not. Nobody ever said it HAD to be individual letters just pasted on like the Rangers, and an angled wordmark would make that jersey look 10x better. I have confidence that it will not be the utter disaster people are expecting.

I agree completely. That is the key to a jersey like this. The idea can work with the right word mark, its hard to judge until we know exactly what the word mark looks like.

mets.png

I guess it's just a mockup, but I don't think it's possible for the Sharks to use that template. I remember reading that RBK got rid of all diagonal cuts with the edge-ification, like that cut and the Penguins one (pre-edge of course). Correct me if I'm wrong. It is possible, thought, that RBK is introducing some new cuts.

I wish the Hawks would have mixed it up a little bit. That alt. is so boring.

:blink:

I can't believe someone actually said that about those jerseys.

Why? I love the 'Hawks' red and white sweaters but the black is boring. I don't know what it is, but it's just drab.

Because the helmets and shells are already black. The mix of red and black with the white and black stripes employs all three colors well enough to be visually compelling. The same goes with the whites. With black sweaters and black socks to go with the existing black uniform elements, it's just a whole bunch of black with the red, the color we most closely associate with the Hawks by virtue of their beloved red sweater, getting very much lost in the shuffle. I think that's most of why we see it as drab. The other factor is that the black set is not as ingrained as What The Team Wears as the white and red sets associated with everyone from Hull and Mikita to Toews and Kane, so it dilutes the brand somewhat. This can be extrapolated across a great deal of teams in an argument that third jerseys are a bad idea.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Because the helmets and shells are already black. The mix of red and black with the white and black stripes employs all three colors well enough to be visually compelling. The same goes with the whites. With black sweaters and black socks to go with the existing black uniform elements, it's just a whole bunch of black with the red, the color we most closely associate with the Hawks by virtue of their beloved red sweater, getting very much lost in the shuffle. I think that's most of why we see it as drab. The other factor is that the black set is not as ingrained as What The Team Wears as the white and red sets associated with everyone from Hull and Mikita to Toews and Kane, so it dilutes the brand somewhat. This can be extrapolated across a great deal of teams in an argument that third jerseys are a bad idea.

Thanks for making my point for me. Much appreciated. (This isn't sarcasm.)

The Hawks' alts are by no means sacred. I'd love to see them mix it up.

This has probably already been said, but are the Hawks going to go to the cool vintage alternates they wore in the 1991-92 season for the NHL's 75th year? And what about the Wings? They doing the same?

I wish. Haven't heard any mention of that, though. The throwback solves the whole monochrome issue The Admiral was talking about by loading up on the red, and having a damn fine alternate crest to boot.

By the way, Admiral, thanks for pointing out the issue with the Hawks' black alts that I could never put my finger on. On its own as a sweater, it looks clean, classic, and solid. When all the elements of the uniform are put together, though, it's just blah and lacking.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

A little off topic from the 3rds, but hypothetical situation here and by that I mean, just pretend this is going to happen no matter how much you would oppose to such an event:

The Montreal Canadiens make the Stanley Cup finals for this season. Since they are in Quebec, would their Stanley Cup Finals logo patch be in french or would they leave it in English?

I would assume in French, as was done in 1993.

I guess it's just a mockup, but I don't think it's possible for the Sharks to use that template. I remember reading that RBK got rid of all diagonal cuts with the edge-ification, like that cut and the Penguins one (pre-edge of course). Correct me if I'm wrong. It is possible, thought, that RBK is introducing some new cuts.

Here is your correction. The AHL club wore that template in the EDGE uniforms last year.

EDIT: After looking at the uniform guide, it wasn't exact, but pretty close.

new-worcester-jerseys-layou.jpg

A little off topic from the 3rds, but hypothetical situation here and by that I mean, just pretend this is going to happen no matter how much you would oppose to such an event:

The Montreal Canadiens make the Stanley Cup finals for this season. Since they are in Quebec, would their Stanley Cup Finals logo patch be in french or would they leave it in English?

If I recall correctly, in the 1993 SCF they (Montereal only) had a SCF patch in French for the games in Montreal and one in English for the games played in L.A.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I wish the Hawks would have mixed it up a little bit. That alt. is so boring.

Agreed. Why not do a variation of this? Maybe put the Tomahawk C in the center. Or at least the current primary.

518B0qhJSYL._AA280_.jpg

Here is your correction. The AHL club wore that template in the EDGE uniforms last year.

EDIT: After looking at the uniform guide, it wasn't exact, but pretty close.

new-worcester-jerseys-layou.jpg

i really wish they wouldn't use that one... might aswell be a practice jersey ....bleh

tn_CoorsDog.jpgSharks_signature.jpgtn_five_hole_design_logo_copy.jpg

Archived