NHL Jersey Discussion - 08-09 3rds

oakland ehs

good: i like the big stripes on the sleeves. looks pre-edge.

bad: black and white hurricane flags around the waist? told ya'll it wasn't stars, but still.... why no red there?

ugly: the all-black shoulder logo, especially on replica jerseys.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i seriously feel sorry for canes fans about the shoulder logo. how are they going to pull that off on a replica?

Well, like every other NHL replica jersey, it'll be screened, look like crap, and people will buy it anyway.

how do you screen print an all black logo on a black sweater?

at least with embroidery, the fact that it's 3D makes it look somewhat appealing.

I believe the embroidered details are, in fact, either silver/gray or white. And if they are, in fact, black, then they'll be dark gray on the screened replica patches.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I finished watching the live stream a little while time ago... looks very sharp! I don't know if I'm a fan of the all-black primary logo on the shoulders. But I guess the purpose of it is to not make the shoulder logo standout on a black jersey. At the same time, the focus is the secondary logo for the crest.

Again, it looks really nice. Better than some of the concepts that have been thrown around.

I wish they'd get rid of the thin shoulder piping on the regular home and away jerseys. So not needed.

I'm surprised there weren't that many people at the arena. It's lunchtime for Christ sakes.

Great job by the Hurricanes. Hopefully (and we pray) that the other teams that are unveiling alternate jerseys are at least as good as Carolina's here.

And as far as that leaked photo of the rumored design of the Buffalo Sabres' upcoming alternate jersey, I like it. Not a fan of the piping on the inside and underneath the sleeve, but it's definitely nice. I hope it becomes the basis of a permanent change to their home and away jerseys. Having modernized tweaking is good for a popular old and original look to a team identity, as long as it is done right. DRutka's done a fabulous job on creating the jersey based on the leaked photo and putting it into NHL 08 or NHL 09.

Carolinathird.png

I like the all-black hurricane logo. When i think of a hurricane, i don't think of a red and black swirling mass of color. I think of shades of grays, black... storm colors. If any team is meant to pick up the mantle of silver/gray and black, it is the Canes...

As for the third jersey itself... it's actually not bad looking.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

i seriously feel sorry for canes fans about the shoulder logo. how are they going to pull that off on a replica?

Well, like every other NHL replica jersey, it'll be screened, look like crap, and people will buy it anyway.

how do you screen print an all black logo on a black sweater?

at least with embroidery, the fact that it's 3D makes it look somewhat appealing.

I believe the embroidered details are, in fact, either silver/gray or white. And if they are, in fact, black, then they'll be dark gray on the screened replica patches.

Bringing up that PDF in AI (which any of us can do), shows that the shoulder patch is Black and 85% Black for the details. At least visually on the sheet. Maybe that will be the way they'll screen it for the replicas.

And, the sleeve stripes are Silver, and the flag boxes (whatever they are) on the bottom of the jersey are outlined in Silver as well.

Curious that the stick in the main logo is a different Silver than the rest of the Silver in the jerseys...could be a mistake.

I really think that a smoke-gray jersey (or gunmetal if you will) would have really worked well for the Canes, but I think this looks pretty good too.*

*for being all black, which I despise.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Why in the world haven't they fixed that logo yet adding the second flag?

That actually got brought up at the presser, apparently. The story (whether true or not) is that, in addition to signaling a gale, a single flag can signal a hurricane that's 36 hours away, where as the double flag shows up at the 24-hour mark. And at the very least, Wikipedia backs this up.

Of course, the real reason is that two flags combined with the stick would look unwieldy and awkward, but at least the logo is somewhat more accurate than a lot of us (myself included) thought.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Why in the world haven't they fixed that logo yet adding the second flag?

That actually got brought up at the presser, apparently. The story (whether true or not) is that, in addition to signaling a gale, a single flag can signal a hurricane that's 36 hours away, where as the double flag shows up at the 24-hour mark. And at the very least, Wikipedia backs this up.

Of course, the real reason is that two flags combined with the stick would look unwieldy and awkward, but at least the logo is somewhat more accurate than a lot of us (myself included) thought.

i actually tried making a 2-flag logo in my league-wide redesign a few years ago... i didn't think it looked too bad... at least, no worse than the 1-flag logo.

CAR.png

Archived