NHL Jersey Discussion - 08-09 3rds

oakland ehs

^^^ I like the striping on that third design.

I am amazed by the Canes alternate, I love it!! The shoulder logo having such a strong contrast doesn't bother me that much, just because it isn't extremely important in the overall design. I sort of wish I didn't hate the Hurricanes...I would by one of these.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"TAMPA BAY: Also completely different. The Lightning will introduce a predominantly dark-blue alternate with the word ?BOLTS? angling downward in white on the jersey front. A narrow white stripe is featured above a broad black stripe at the uniform base. Grey and white stripes are on each arm, and the latter half of the sleeve, to the tip, is black. "

Would this be the first time in 4-major sports history that a team nickname has appeared on the jerseys? And I dont mean Jays for Blue Jays or A's for Athletics. Can anyone think of another time a nickname has been front and center like this?

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

"TAMPA BAY: Also completely different. The Lightning will introduce a predominantly dark-blue alternate with the word “BOLTS” angling downward in white on the jersey front. A narrow white stripe is featured above a broad black stripe at the uniform base. Grey and white stripes are on each arm, and the latter half of the sleeve, to the tip, is black. "

Would this be the first time in 4-major sports history that a team nickname has appeared on the jerseys? And I dont mean Jays for Blue Jays or A's for Athletics. Can anyone think of another time a nickname has been front and center like this?

do d-backs or Mavs or Cavs count?

or even "The City" or "PHX"?

My thoughts on the 'Canes:

CONS:

I understand the grayscale shoulder logo as it relates to the overall black/silver feel of the design. I actually like the idea behind that. But the logo is simply too dark. The silver in the logo should match the silver on the rest of the jersey.

The numbers should be silver outlined in red. This would help keep the emphasis on the black and make the numbers less jarring. Right now, the thin white outlines are (to me) vibrating between the red and the black.

The hurricane flag pattern should have stayed the same (more on that below).

PROS:

I LOVE that this is not just a recolor of the regular set. The sleeve stripes are bold and strong, and I love how they taper to a point beneath the numbers to match the taper on the socks.

Thank god they went with an all-black set. I don't think this works with a red helmet, red pants, and red socks.

I love the emphasis on black and silver. It counterbalances the all-red home set. It feels like an alternate. Something within the same set, but distinct, and only to be worn a limited number of times.

Thrilled that they did not include any silly piping. I'd love to see them eliminate the stupid shoulder piping from the regular red and white sweaters.

CHANGES I WOULD MAKE:

Make the red stripe on the waist silver, and thicken it so that it touches the hurricane flag pattern above. Keep the square hurricane flags red with a black center. I know this will make the black outline around them disappear. But with the red squares above the silver stripe, the waist pattern will now "match" the sleeve pattern.

Brighten the shoulder logo.

Make the numbers silver (a la the LA Kings) outlined in red.

All that said, these are great. I was very worried, based on the mockups I had seen (stars?!?!)... Nice work.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Are any of the new 3rds in NHL 09? Or is there a code to unlock them that hasn't been released yet?

I just checked and there is a placeholder for jerseys called "Alternate". Placeholders are just a shadow of a hockey player. You don't see any glimpses of what the jerseys will look like. So there must be a code going to be released, because there is a spot to enter it.

Teams it blacked out alts are:

Atlanta

Boston

Buffalo has 2

Carolina

Chicago

Dallas

Edmonton

LA

Isles

Ottawa

Philly

Pittsburgh

Phoenix

St Louis

San Jose

Tampa Bay

Toronto

Vancouver

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

Just wanted to add that there are retro jerseys as well. Each team has all of the last jerseys from the pre-Edge era. Older teams have more to offer with some missing like Phoenix's first jerseys are missing. No Wild Wing jerseys in Anaheim. Both home and away KC Scouts and Colorado Rockies are included with New Jersey, but no Christmas tree/80s edition.

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

Archived