IIHF 2008 World Championships Uniforms

-Helix-

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This makes me very happy.

A different Miracle set for Team USA? Coolness.

CCCP (USSR) throwbacks? Always nice.

Interesting Italy shirt...

I like the unique ways of getting history for the Slavic/former-USSR-member nations as well. Winner.

Just curious why Denmark opted out, but a team that couldn't even do a throwback (Belarus) got into the act. Ideas?

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

very nice. i like Swiss and Russia most overall. they are from a simpler time (sweater-wise), but they work very well today too. the Russian one makes me think of some old El Lissitzky type Russian avant-garde stuff, but that might be a stretch for everyone else. Red Wedge anyone?

Cool jerseys for the teams.. I like that... should be interesting to see some of them on tv for the World Hockey Championships in May....

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

2311161353_9c4432f7cc_o.png

Didn't see a thread for this.

Slovakia's are my favorites by far. Will be cool to see the old CCCP again too.

In 1960 the USA's uniforms were almost an exact copy of the NY Rangers. The Blues were dead-on, while the Whites did not have the White-Red-White stripes on the shoulder yoke. The USA used the Rangers' srop-shadow number font on the back. If you look at pictures of the late-'50s or early-'60s Rangers you will note that only the Rangers' sleeve numbers were NOT drop-shadow but regular two-color. I think that Gerry Cosby Sports in NYC, the Rangers' supplier, probably sold those uniforms to the 1960 US Olympic Team. Cosby had his sweaters, pants and hose made by manufacturers such as Stall and Dean, Wilson, Rawlings and General Athletic. But only the Gerry Cosby logo label was sewn into the garment. Gunzo's of Chicago and Olympia Sports of Detroit who supplied the Blackhawks and Red Wings, respectively, did business in the same fashion. The store I worked at in Rochester outfitted the Amerks from 1957-58 until 1969-70. The AHL Buffalo Bisons bought their famous "bottle-cap" uniforms through Dick Fischer Sporting Goods in Buffalo. Neither Ruby's in Rochester or Fischer's in Buffalo had the actual manufacturer's label on the garments.

Someone smarter than me can clarify, but is there anything weird about Russia wearing USSR jerseys? It's a different country, no?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

In 1960 the USA's uniforms were almost an exact copy of the NY Rangers. The Blues were dead-on, while the Whites did not have the White-Red-White stripes on the shoulder yoke. The USA used the Rangers' srop-shadow number font on the back. If you look at pictures of the late-'50s or early-'60s Rangers you will note that only the Rangers' sleeve numbers were NOT drop-shadow but regular two-color. I think that Gerry Cosby Sports in NYC, the Rangers' supplier, probably sold those uniforms to the 1960 US Olympic Team.

You could pretty much say that about the 1956, 1964, 1968, and 1972 uniforms, too. The '56 jersey had a smaller USA on the front, and the 1964 jersey was exactly the same as 1960 except for the shield logo. The 1968 and 1972 uniforms had USA across the front in a vertical arch with the Boston Red Sox font.

It was in 1976 when they went to the star-spangled shoulders and the eagle logo on the front.

Someone smarter than me can clarify, but is there anything weird about Russia wearing USSR jerseys? It's a different country, no?

Given that the Russian SFSR was the largest and most populated of the Soviet republics, it makes sense for them to wear a USSR jersey. You certainly wouldn't expect all the former republics to wear the same jersey and it doesn't make sense for any of the other ones to wear it over Russia.

I want Team Canada to bring back the RCAF Flyers jerseys from the '48 Olympics. Those are sweet! :)

Didn't Canada used to send a team intact to the Olympics rather than a national "All-Star" team? Of course in the "old days" Canada was so strong in hockey almost any good Junior-B team could win the Olympics (except the year all the Canada-raised Brits won for the Mother Country).

I want Team Canada to bring back the RCAF Flyers jerseys from the '48 Olympics. Those are sweet! :)

They've been rumoured as the alternate for the 2010 Olympic team. I hope they are as they look really damn good on the ice as seen in these photos of the Manitoba Moose wearing them on March 1st.

image23.jpg

Quite a contrast with the Edge-tastic clown costumes Quad City are wearing, eh?

image07.jpg

Just noticed an interesting error with the jerseys. It's says in the lower right corner that Denmark is the only team without a retro, but Slovenia doesn't have one either. Furthermore Austria does, but they're not even playing in the tournament since being relegated to Division 1 a couple of years ago. Either way it will be nice to see some of the jerseys in person in May. Can't wait to see the new Nike sweaters either.

As for the guy mentioning the USSR uniform for Russia, they are the evil empire that annexed the other countries into the USSR, the only truly willing participant in the entire thing. For anyone else to wear it would be ridiculous. Most of the other USSR nations wouldn't be caught dead in them, it would be akin to Germany wearing a Nazi jersey.

I like this idea, granted I'm sure nike will see some coin out of all this, but hey, thats what they are in the game for. I think I might have to get my hands on that Slovakia one, the way things are looking Marcel Hossa and the Coyotes wont be in the playoffs and neither will Richard Zednik and the Panthers, which will be after his 6 weeks off before he can resume hockey, so he might be there too...either way Id love to get one of those jerseys.

SEAsig.png

image07.jpg

Let's wait for the team's "theme" jersey night ...

QuadCityMallardsSherriff.jpg

WTF?????/

THIS warrants its own thread.... :blink:

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

They've been rumoured as the alternate for the 2010 Olympic team. I hope they are as they look really damn good on the ice as seen in these photos of the Manitoba Moose wearing them on March 1st.

image23.jpg

image07.jpg

Those look AWESOME! I might have to pick one up.

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

Archived