2008 MLB changes in action

Krona

FYI, Phillies will be debuting their daytime home game alternates today.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FYI, Phillies will be debuting their daytime home game alternates today.

I'm watching the game right now and while I really like these throwback-style alternates, they do not look good with the red long-sleeved undershirts and the high red socks. All that red makes the blue cap look wrong, like the old blue alternate caps used to look a couple years ago. Those players look better when they are at the plate wearing the red batting helmets. But blue caps look great on the players who aren't wearing the long sleeves or the high socks.

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

e33e2465-f633-422a-b9f2-117e926cf478.jpg

The more I see this, the more it really bugs me.

I was thinking that fine tuning the hard-to-read nameplate (when lights shined on it sometimes you couldn't see the names) and the awkward number font (it's just weird...) would make this jersey good.

Something along the lines of this.

2008awayfixup.gif

Such minor things can make a difference. I do like that alot more, although I do like them as they are ( More blue thats all thats mattes lol ). Other than that if they fixed up the 'r" just like what the Canucks did , then it would look even better.

Ya should try somehow e-mail them, showing how much the minor updates could improve ( I know they may not re-spawned back )

Maybe change the "update " with the new Home Uni's next season... or I hoping :D

4kv29i.jpg

I'd like to see these bad boys used as future alts:

Something like these:

Barton42.jpgCabrera62.jpgGoleski12.jpg

See, right when I posted that I had a weird feeling the Indians wore some throwbacks.

I was right! (kinda)

Ok it's not the Cleveland Indians, but yea.

Also, the Indians removed the shadowed player names on back. (thanks to Uni watch)

Also here's a good look at the silver-less unis:

610x.jpg

Compared to (look at sleeve and pant stripes, mainly):

340x.jpg

They went from two colored sleeve and pant stripes to just single piping.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I don't really think this design is "timeless". Just because it has a classic look doesn't automatically make it great. I think if they kept the cream colored jersey and incorporated the current wordmark and chief wahoo logo on the cap it would be sweeeet.

Here's a model for the new Phillies alternates in their in-game debut:

2385914319_dd41585706_b.jpg

With such attention to detail to outfit even the mascot, why no blue helmets? And nice socks Jimmy!

2385921047_2c6001003c_b.jpg

I actually like best how the cap pairs with the jacket.

2386750752_fb94f8fa94_b.jpg

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

The Blue Jays wore their Roads for the first time.

e33e2465-f633-422a-b9f2-117e926cf478.jpge20d65a0-e7bf-4549-ae66-a5cb3ee3a5e2.jpg

The front looks fine... but the back of the jersey is a mess.

What's that weird, eye-catching color they have in there now? It looks like some sort of combination of green and yellow.

Also here's a good look at the silver-less unis:

610x.jpg

Compared to (look at sleeve and pant stripes, mainly):

340x.jpg

They went from two colored sleeve and pant stripes to just single piping.

True, but they kept the awful double-outline. It just went from silver to white:

pMLB2-1826624dt.jpg

I agree their unis went from horribly awful to just bad. I still think the 94-01 set was perfect, one of the best uni sets in baseball history. It is a shame they didn't go back to that.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Why couldn't the Phillies have worn blue batting helmets?! HOW HARD IS THIS PEOPLE! I say if you wear a new/alt cap, you must wear a matching batting helmet. They can afford it!

Why couldn't the Phillies have worn blue batting helmets?! HOW HARD IS THIS PEOPLE! I say if you wear a new/alt cap, you must wear a matching batting helmet. They can afford it!

Agreed. IMO, that should be a rule instituted by MLB. Looks bushleague to me.

Also, the number font sucks on these. At least with the blue outline. Ryan Howard's 6 looked way too much like an 8.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I've never quite liked the Phillies looks, from the maroon era through the current red/white/blue. However, the throwback looking alternate just looks right. It seems uniquely Phiily.

Man those Phillies alts are super fugly. Between Tampa's new snoofest of a uni and Cleveland's not-really-a-throwback and these, there have been some hideous looking duds this year.

I can't wait until Toronto busts out the powder blues so I can see something new I actually like.

Archived