2008 MLB changes in action

Krona

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was listening to Steve Duemig on AM 620 WDAE yesterday (don't ask why) and he mentioned that the Devil Ray patch was a one year tribute deal. He didn't sound real confident saying it, and I certainly haven't read or heard that anywhere else. Even if they continue pushing the sun angle I hope they keep the Devil Ray patch. It's the only remaining element from the original identity, and if they didn't intend on keeping it as a lasting tribute (such as the Buccaneers keeping orange), then why carry it over at all?

I'm calling BS on that one.

Doesn't make any sense. A "tribute deal" for an identity that they believe was driving away fans?

Sounds more like they're regretting being so wishy-washy.

Am I the only one who thinks it should be a natural for the Rays to wear powder blue road unis instead of gray ones?

I mean, the uniforms are soooooooo boring and uninspired, the least they could´ve done is to show something unique, using one of their primary colors.

Just a thought...

Am I the only one who thinks it should be a natural for the Rays to wear powder blue road unis instead of gray ones?

I mean, the uniforms are soooooooo boring and uninspired, the least they could´ve done is to show something unique, using one of their primary colors.

Just a thought...

Yeah, but that wouldn't have fit in with their "play it safe at all costs, don't rock any boat and try to satisfy everybody within five hundred miles" philosophy.

capt.c2c9a294c1c6410c910e963750efc272.red_sox_blue_jays_baseball_ajw113.jpg

The Blue Jays accomplished what the Indians and Phillies could not. They made a helmet to match their throwback cap. Granted, the current helmet would most severely clash with Toronto's alternates, as compared to Cleveland or Philadelphia.

That must be where the line gets drawn on whether or not to commission matching helmets. The Phillies never had them made for interleague games where they wore the blue-billed red caps with the star inside the P.

Funny, the Phils used to not have trouble making matching helmets for occasional forays back to the swirly-P era ...

2389126008_e1ace66eab_o.jpg

Chalk it up to the "would clash too much" rule, perhaps?

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

I've pointed this out before, but those Blue Jays unis are the wrong color. IF - they're trying to match the old uniforms.

I had an argument with someone about these (someone who I believe was somewhat involved with the design), but I still think I'm right (!). Here's what these new unis match to:

TorontoBlueJaysPowderBlue.jpg

Here's what they SHOULD match to:

TorontoBlueJaysLightBlue.jpg

My position on this is based on photographic evidence, and an official 1987 Style Guide sheet (which the person I argued with also had, but wasn't looking at!).

What do you guys think? I think these current throwbacks look too dark, but I'm probably the only person in the world who cares.

:cry:

What do you guys think? I think these current throwbacks look too dark, but I'm probably the only person in the world who cares.

These are definitely darker than the original ones, I still think they look o.k. though -- they especially look great in person.

I noticed the numbers on the backs of the helmets were some (seemingly) random font that I'd never saw the jays use before -- I took a photo of it but I doubt it turned out alright, will post if decent.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

If it makes you feel any better I noticed it right away. B) I still like the look.

BB52Big.jpg

Oh no!!!

2389118476_71f1f1bd8f.jpg

2389118464_3769dc9cdc.jpg

What is the point of these? Black isn't even trendy anymore, and these look like they shoulda been trotted out 5 years ago if they wanted a revenue boost. The green alternate is a thing of beauty. These just suck. It's real close with Tampa for worst unis in the league.

I totally love the new Blue Jays throwbacks. I just want to roll in a pile of those jerseys. I may pick up that hat as those are my all time favorites.

Those A's black alts look worse than the ones they had 5 years or so ago. The lettering is real chunky. Other than the Mets the gratuitous black in MLB is mostly gone. Shouldn't it be 20 years before its trendy again?

Usually I agree with most of the opinions on this board, but i'm floored that it seems everyone loves the Blue Jays throwbacks. I think they look embarrassingly bad. There's a reason powder blue from head to toe went away - it's because it looks ridiculous. And the logo in the middle of the chest isn't doing it for me either. Frank Thomas in particular looks humiliated to be wearing these pajamas.

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

WARNING: Minority opinion(s) about to be expressed!

I like the A's alternate, except for the split in the lettering.

I strongly dislike the Blue Jays "old road unis at home" thing.

I like the Phillies alternates, much better than their current homes. They should add a front number and wear them all the time.

Cleveland's alternates: boring. Like that the drop-shadow is no more on the other jerseys NOBs. Now they, too need a front number.

Tampa Bay. Need a front number and an alternate jersey. Still like the second set better than these and the first set better than the second.

I noticed the numbers on the backs of the helmets were some (seemingly) random font that I'd never saw the jays use before -- I took a photo of it but I doubt it turned out alright, will post if decent.

As promised... weird font I don't remember seeing anywhere else on back of helmet. Also notice the graphite/white/blue MLB logo on the helmet and jersey, this also appears on the back of their retro caps

JaysRetroBack.jpg

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I actually like what Tampa Bay looks like on the field. I think they should have stuck with green but these don't look bad. As someone mentioned, the white outline on the gray jerseys make it pop.

I like what the Phillies have more than their normal home jerseys. The blue hat looks nice, and I even like how they look with red socks.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Also notice the graphite/white/blue MLB logo on the helmet and jersey, this also appears on the back of their retro caps.

Cam003.jpg

Are you sure? Because thats crappy cell phone picture of the back of my retro Jays on-field cap, and it's the red-white-blue MLB logo.

The Jays did great with the set, but could they not have at least used the right colors for the MLB logo on their helmet and jerseys?

As for the A's...

why.png

WHY? I've moved on from the fact that you guys felt you needed an unnecessary black alternate jersey that doesn't belong in your beautiful color scheme, but WHY CAN'T YOU GET HELMETS THAT MATCH?

The cheapness of this billion dollar industry disgusts me sometimes.

I honestly feel the Jays screwed the pooch on this one. I'd much rather see them break out the Blue alt they wore during the World Series years. Not only does it have so much meaning to it but it also just looks amazing. Dark blue with white lettering - perfect! I'd much rather see those and if they ever decide to swtich to those as an alt you better believe I'll be there the first day they are being sold and snag an authentic.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Archived