The OFFICIAL 2008 NFL Draft Thread

tBBP

Also, you have to look at the Falcons' reasoning behind that pick. It's a team in shambles. Picking up the best QB in the draft, even if he's really not that good, boosts ticket sales, merchandise sales, reinvigorates the fan base a little bit. It's definitely a smart move even if Ryan just serves as a transition to something better.

I think I read that they are selling #8 Ryan jerseys at the Falcons team store.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You all just wait and see, hopefully Matty Ice will (and I have confidence from actually watching him for 3 1/2 years) come back and make your asses look stupid. :D

What, no opinions on my write-up?

Well, I guess I hope he sucks ass now. Thanks, Gingy.

No problem. 'Tis what I do.

Seriously though, other than because he had some hype similar to other well-known busts, why would you say he is not a franchise QB (or that he is a transition QB to something better?!?)? I'm just curious here. I know I am irreversibly biased, but nothing I have seen (aside from perhaps too many INT's) suggests he won't be as good as people are saying. He is a natural born team leader, very smart player, intangibles are great, great precision, awesome in the clutch and contrary to popular belief, the arm strength is there too. Coach Jags compares him a lot to Matt Hasselbeck but a bit better. Plus, he has been mentored some by none other than Brett Favre. Unless you guys are deliberately going against what the draft "experts" say, I don't see why he is not a franchise QB. Especially in Atlanta.

You all just wait and see, hopefully Matty Ice will (and I have confidence from actually watching him for 3 1/2 years) come back and make your asses look stupid. :D

What, no opinions on my write-up?

Well, I guess I hope he sucks ass now. Thanks, Gingy.

No problem. 'Tis what I do.

Seriously though, other than because he had some hype similar to other well-known busts, why would you say he is not a franchise QB (or that he is a transition QB to something better?!?)? I'm just curious here. I know I am irreversibly biased, but nothing I have seen (aside from perhaps too many INT's) suggests he won't be as good as people are saying. He is a natural born team leader, very smart player, intangibles are great, great precision, awesome in the clutch and contrary to popular belief, the arm strength is there too. Coach Jags compares him a lot to Matt Hasselbeck but a bit better. Plus, he has been mentored some by none other than Brett Favre. Unless you guys are deliberately going against what the draft "experts" say, I don't see why he is not a franchise QB. Especially in Atlanta.

Actually, I see him as being more like Trent Dilfer. Not a bad Quarterback, but not someone you invest first round money in either, or expect to consistently win the game. I guess my problem with him is that I expect potential NFL "franchise quarterbacks" to either light up at least some of their non-mid-major opponents, or at least win a Conference Championship.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Some noticeable names are starting to pop up here in the late rounds:

-Round 3 opened with a bang as Detroit traded up to land UCF stud RB Kevin Smith. Also of note:

-Tom Zbikowski goes to Baltimore

-As if the Giants don't have enough at WR, they add Mario Manningham

-Nothing huge in Round 4.

-USC QB John David Booty goes to Minnesota in the 5th Round. Also going in this round are Dennis Dixon (Pittsburgh) and Erik Ainge (NY Jets) Also of note going here is Kellen Davis, who many thought was a good TE (BTW, Chicago got him)

-The biggest name to go in Round 6 is Colt Brennan as he gets picked by the Redskins.

-The biggest name to go in Round 6 is Colt Brennan as he gets picked by the Redskins.

I actually remember reading something last draft saying the 'Skins would take him with their first round pick in last years draft (if he was there, but he decided to stay another year). So I'm not really surprised with this pick. Although I don't think he'll become anything, he's definitely a system QB.

-As if the Giants don't have enough at WR, they add Mario Manningham

They sure do like them receivers from the great lakes state, huh? They now have Manningham and Amani Toomer from Michigan, and Plaxico from Michigan State.

Also, the Lions pick that got the best reaction was their very last one, when they picked safety Caleb Campbell from Army, in the seventh round.

MegatronSig2.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the Saints' picks today, though obviously a draft can't be evaluated properly for at least a couple of years.

The hated Falcons took a big gamble with Matt Ryan, but it has nothing to do with Ryan personally. The question is what shape their already battered franchise will be in if a QB taken with the #3 overall pick tanks. "Matty Ice", huh? Sorry, a grown man being called "Matty" is just a little weird. B) Oh well, he'll look great getting sacked by Sedrick Ellis.

My sleeper pick is OU RB Allen Patrick, taken in the 7th round by the Ravens. There were times last year when Patrick looked like the only OU player on the field who gave a damn. He's got "it" - runs with everything he has on every play and is an intense competitor whether it's the Big 12 championship game or a blowout of an unranked opponent.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I think Hawk's did a good job with the draft, I would give them a B. I thought they would grab a WR, but I am happy with the Carlson at TE. That position has been a rough one for a couple years. Now that we drafted Owen Schmitt and Tyler Schmitt, there are already Hawks fans wanting the "O. Schmitt" jersey.

2000Patch.jpg

I think Hawk's did a good job with the draft, I would give them a B. I thought they would grab a WR, but I am happy with the Carlson at TE. That position has been a rough one for a couple years. Now that we drafted Owen Schmitt and Tyler Schmitt, there are already Hawks fans wanting the "O. Schmitt" jersey.

alright now that this years draft is over time to talk about next year :D. seems like every year there is someone to look forward to the next year to win the heisman and be a big player coming to the nfl, but i havent heard anything like that this year. someone inform me who i should be looking at next season :P

Also, you have to look at the Falcons' reasoning behind that pick. It's a team in shambles. Picking up the best QB in the draft, even if he's really not that good, boosts ticket sales, merchandise sales, reinvigorates the fan base a little bit. It's definitely a smart move even if Ryan just serves as a transition to something better.

I think I read that they are selling #8 Ryan jerseys at the Falcons team store.

No, they are selling "Ryan 08" jerseys on the website. The #8 is currently worn by Chris Redman.

Also, McKelvin chose #28 for Buffalo. I knew that there was no way that they would let him get #34.

alright now that this years draft is over time to talk about next year :D. seems like every year there is someone to look forward to the next year to win the heisman and be a big player coming to the nfl, but i havent heard anything like that this year. someone inform me who i should be looking at next season :P

Not Notre Dame, that's for sure.

I'll give the Rams a "B". No RB in case Jackson tells the Rams to get bent, they seem to be admitting that either Drew Bennett was a waste of money or Holt is as good as gone in two years, no young QB to groom (which is good since Linebaka's out the door at the end of the season anyway), didn't attempt the "quick fix" but rather a slower rebuild (YAY!). A good start.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I am ok with the Bills second day. I would have liked Dan Connor at #72 but LB was not a need and DE was so Ellis is a good pick. I also would have liked Owen Schmitt (FB) WVU but the management didn't like him enough to pick him, I respect their opinion and think they had a pretty good draft overall. B+

saBS.png

SLEEPER PICK

Packers WR Jordy Nelson (#36, Ka State) is an absolute beast. Stock rose greatly right before the draft. Made All-state in like 3 sports in High School, is an amazing All-Around athlete and will be a weapon anywhere he plays, especially special teams. Is a tall receiver, great hands, mad fast, plays O and D and ST. will be a nice complement/tandem with current ATH (former BC star!) Will Blackmon. Watch out for this guy.

I hope you're right about this one, because I was completely mystified by their trade down to pick him, instead of taking Dustin Keller themselves. With Bubba Franks gone and only two tight ends left on their roster, neither one a sure #1, they need help at TE lot more than they need another receiver.

CCSLC signature.png

The hated Falcons took a big gamble with Matt Ryan, but it has nothing to do with Ryan personally. The question is what shape their already battered franchise will be in if a QB taken with the #3 overall pick tanks. "Matty Ice", huh? Sorry, a grown man being called "Matty" is just a little weird. B) Oh well, he'll look great getting sacked by Sedrick Ellis.

Can Ryan be any worse than Leftwich or Harrington?

No. I don't think it is possible.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

My point is that this is a new regime charged with 'righting the ship'. The new GM and new coach used a very high draft pick on a QB who is now the "face of the franchise". They've hitched their wagon to Matty and if he turns into Tim Couch, Dimitroff and Smith will look foolish and the Falcons will stay in the gutter for however many more years (which would break my heart, wink wink). It would be different if they'd taken a player at another position.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I'd give the Ravens a B-, I'm not a huge fan of the first two picks but the rest of the draft was pretty solid. Plus the Fabian Washington trade seemed like a real steal (although I would have like to get another young CB in the draft). Tavares Gooden is probably my favorite pick, I could really see Ray Lewis and Ed Reed taking him under their wing. He could be the future leader of the defense.

Just a few of my opinions on other teams:

-Oakland probably made the best pick with Darren McFadden. I could really see him becoming the best player from the draft. The Dolphins and Falcons may regret not taking him, because I really see him as the next LaDainian.

-I really liked Erik Ainge and can see him becoming the next late round QB to find success in the league. I was really hoping the Ravens would target him late in the draft. Great pick by the Jets.

-Desean Jackson was another steal. I really wish the Ravens took him with their original second round pick. I think he'll be the best reciever in the draft.

Archived