Euro 2008 Austria-Switzerland

NEW.ERA

Not to mention that the Dutch victory moved them up to #3 in the World. France is #4, Italy #6, and Romania #10 (as of today's results.)

No it didn't.

The current FIFA World Rankings (which for the record are as useless as a slide rule in an English teacher's desk [Oh wait, I have one in my desk, snap... <_<]) were released on 3 June and the newest rankings involving the European Championships will not be released until 2 July. And considering the system in which FIFA uses, the Dutch win over Italy today probably wouldn't give them enough points to move them over England into ninth (The fact that England is considered the ninth best team in the world should tell everyone the utility of the rankings), much less a 313 point gap to overhaul Italy.

Perhaps you should divert your football researching efforts to more fertile ground, like why English teams failed so miserably in the European Cup in the late 1980s.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not to mention that the Dutch victory moved them up to #3 in the World. France is #4, Italy #6, and Romania #10 (as of today's results.)
No it didn't.

The current FIFA World Rankings (which for the record are as useless as a slide rule in an English teacher's desk [Oh wait, I have one in my desk, snap... <_<]) were released on 3 June and the newest rankings involving the European Championships will not be released until 2 July. And considering the system in which FIFA uses, the Dutch win over Italy today probably wouldn't give them enough points to move them over England into ninth (The fact that England is considered the ninth best team in the world should tell everyone the utility of the rankings), much less a 313 point gap to overhaul Italy.

Perhaps you should divert your football researching efforts to more fertile ground, like why English teams failed so miserably in the European Cup in the late 1980s.

I trust the Elo ratings, and for that, I believe the win does move them up to third.

LvZYtbZ.png

I trust the Elo ratings, and for that, I believe the win does move them up to third.

Elo's equally useless since it doesn't weigh friendly matches (the majority of international football matches) fairly (it treats all friendlies equally, without account of the opposition or location. In other words, the US match against Argentina in the US is worth the same base amount of points as its friendly against South Africa in January in South Africa, which is an affront to common sense.), much less the flaw in Elo that you can improve your rating by not playing and letting your opponents do the hard work for you.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Elo's equally useless since it doesn't weigh friendly matches (the majority of international football matches) fairly (it treats all friendlies equally, without account of the opposition or location. In other words, the US match against Argentina in the US is worth the same base amount of points as its friendly against South Africa in January in South Africa, which is an affront to common sense.), much less the flaw in Elo that you can improve your rating by not playing and letting your opponents do the hard work for you.
Elo does too factor in opposition and location. Home teams are factored in, and you gain more points if you beat better teams.

LvZYtbZ.png

Elo does too factor in opposition and location. Home teams are factored in, and you gain more points if you beat better teams.

Not exactly true. The Elo equation doesn't factor in location in terms of weighing matches, only the expected result. And you don't always get more points for beating better teams because it will penalise you for not beating them as "bad" as you're allegedly supposed to. For example, the US beat Barbados in 2000 to the tune of 4-0 in a World Cup qualifier, and beat Mexico 2-0 in 2007 in an annual friendly. Guess which match got the US more points?

Would you guys quit, this :censored: just ruins threads. Anyhow I watched both games today, I am so giddy to watch international football. Its like a holiday for me the whole time. The France Romania game was quite boring, its sad that Trezequet is not on the team, I would like to see him up front. The Dutch Italy game was quite entertaining, the Italians seems old and not up for the match, and still had some good chances to score, but a 3-0 defeat is bad. Looking forward to the games tomorrow, I'm looking forward towards Cesc and Torres playing for Spain against Russia. I'm pulling for Sweden against Greece.

Here is the incident you guys are referring to. You can definitely see Buffon push the last Italian defender over the touchline before the goal. This made Ruud onside, and meant that the goal was "legal".

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/5223/291cn54qa7.gif

Note the interpretation of an offside

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederati...2006_e_1581.pdf

The first part is the offside position. It doesn't say anything about a defender having to be in or out of bounds. The defender may have been closer to the goal than van Nistelrooy. Not only that, the defender could have come back into play. So, I did think Ruud was actually onside when I first saw it and have not changed my mind.

Thanks for the link...

When I saw the replay, I immediately thought that the player behind the net was still on play, hence the no offside call. I guess the side referee saw the same thing.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

SPAIN!

4-1 over mother Russia. I watched from 70 mins on, but great game never the less.

David Villa had a hat trick, and Cesc added one more. The D looked pretty bad, Russia missed a bunch of chances though.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Here is the incident you guys are referring to. You can definitely see Buffon push the last Italian defender over the touchline before the goal. This made Ruud onside, and meant that the goal was "legal".

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/5223/291cn54qa7.gif

Note the interpretation of an offside

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederati...2006_e_1581.pdf

The first part is the offside position. It doesn't say anything about a defender having to be in or out of bounds. The defender may have been closer to the goal than van Nistelrooy. Not only that, the defender could have come back into play. So, I did think Ruud was actually onside when I first saw it and have not changed my mind.

Thanks for the link...

When I saw the replay, I immediately thought that the player behind the net was still on play, hence the no offside call. I guess the side referee saw the same thing.

Well, according to UEFA, Ruud WAS onside since the defender out of bounds was considered active. Wow.

Make that 2-0 Sweden after the Greeks botched that attempt to get it out (Heh. A Greek tragedy. The announcers are good)

Boy, Greece sure isn't the same team from four years ago, aren't they?

I especially love how Reece Davis has NO idea what he's talking about during the halftime show and post game reports... he just points out the obvious...

When referring to Buffon, he kept calling him Bu-PHONE, I've never heard anyone call him that.

That Sweden-Greece game was ridiculously boring until Sweden scored. Greece seemed perfectly fine with holding onto the ball and playing for the 0-0 draw.

I see how they won back in '04 now. If they put in a goal by accident, that game is over because the Greeks will go into clam mode.

I am loving this Turkey-Switzerland game. It is pouring out and the field is about 5 minutes away from reaching the level of that Dolphins-Steelers MNF game, and it's currently in the 44th minute. Switzerland made a beautiful pass from midfield into Turkey's penalty box. A Swiss player passes the Turkish goalie trying to get the ball and then drives to the goal. He then passes it across the 6-yard box and it stops on a dime in a mud puddle and lands in front of a Swiss player and he chips in an easy one. The ball is splashing every time it is touched and players are falling everywhere.

uconn2.pngliverpoolfc.png

Archived