Brady gone for the year

LuvTheNats

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is a definite distinction between being happy a player is not playing and being happy he was injured. I think Hedley is simply happy that Tom Brady won't be crammed down our throats all season long and by extension the Patriots won't be either. I join him in that happiness. I think I can speak for everyone outside "Patriots Nation" when I say that we've had our fill of #12 and his team. It sucks that it took a season ending injury to do it but it's still no great loss to the rest of us that The Patriots suddenly became just like any other team today. Besides, it's not like Brady was in some horrible car accident and everyone is jumping for joy over it. You took this whole thing the wrong way from the start.

By all means, feel how you do about the situation for all of your teams. I never would argue against you all feeling happy that there is one less great team to beat and I totally see where you're coming from on the teams issue. I was focusing on the human part of it, it's not life threatening but it is a terrible injury and the fact that people are happy that a sincere human is injured like that is what is beyond me. But if there was a hypothetical sudden revelation that Brady would be an awful quarterback or would lose his job for whatever reason for the whole year and we knew this today, I would never question anyone else being happy about that. I was truly approaching this discussion not as a Boston fan...

I find it entertaining that Bostonians on this board are telling people to be compasionate about Brady's injury and saying its disgusting to get enjoyment from sed injury. Is this not the same fan base that could not let the Bill Buckner incident go until the Sox won it all in '04? I mean come on, he was receiving death threats 15 years later.....

I am in no way asking for your compassion. Lord knows that would never happen anyway. Just the latter one. I hope none of that and what I said to infrared got lost in the discussion, cause it's simply not true.

Geez, everyone is having such a kneejerk reaction.

You insensitive bastard. :cursing:

:D Damn, I totally missed that. Good one!

OK, a sincere question to Pats fans. Yes, Matt Cassel played adequately yesterday. However, what we saw in the preseason was a walking, talking, load of :censored:. At what point, or at all, do you want to see KOC in there? To be honest, even though he's only a rookie, I almost feel better with him in there than Cassel. I know it would be a huge risk but I just don't see a big upside with Cassel and unless he finds his inner Brady, so to speak, within the next few weeks (specifically this Sunday against you know who), I want to see KOC and his great energy and legs get a shot, cause he looked great in the preseason for the most part.

Karma from spygate perhaps? Its unfortunate for the pats that Brady was injured but I still find this hilarious. :lol:

I still don't understand this. Why is it funny that a passionate player had a season stolen away from him in the prime of his career? It's great that you're not a Patriot-fan, but come on, really?

The Patriots are my favorite team. If Peyton or Eli Manning went down with a season-ending injury, I'd be pissed. Why? Because I want my team to beat its rivals at full strength. I don't want to beat a Peyton-less Indianapolis Colts team, and I don't want to beat an Eli-less New York Giants team. It takes the fun out of it, and it takes the competition out of it.

Those of you who rejoice over Brady's injury simply aren't football fans. If you were, you'd be upset over the loss of one of the game's greats, and feel robbed that we don't get to see him play this season.

Karma from spygate perhaps? Its unfortunate for the pats that Brady was injured but I still find this hilarious. :lol:

I still don't understand this. Why is it funny that a passionate player had a season stolen away from him in the prime of his career? It's great that you're not a Patriot-fan, but come on, really?

The Patriots are my favorite team. If Peyton or Eli Manning went down with a season-ending injury, I'd be pissed. Why? Because I want my team to beat its rivals at full strength. I don't want to beat a Peyton-less Indianapolis Colts team, and I don't want to beat an Eli-less New York Giants team. It takes the fun out of it, and it takes the competition out of it.

Those of you who rejoice over Brady's injury simply aren't football fans. If you were, you'd be upset over the loss of one of the game's greats, and feel robbed that we don't get to see him play this season.

Get a grip on yourself already....

This is going to be Cassel's first start since high school, right? I think that Cassel was the backup for both Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart at USC.

And for all of you that are happy that Brady got hurt, I'm not sure what to say but it's hard to believe that people find joy in another man's injury.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

This is going to be Cassel's first start since high school, right? I think that Cassel was the backup for both Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart at USC.

And for all of you that are happy that Brady got hurt, I'm not sure what to say but it's hard to believe that people find joy in another man's injury.

First, it's not so much that people are "happy" that Brady was injured as it is we're happy that the Patriots suddenly became ordinary. I wouldn't wish an injury on anyone. The reaction by some people around here would lead you to believe that all of us "Boston haters" had a seance or prayer meeting or something where we prayed for Brady to get hurt and now we're dancing for joy because it worked. None of us wanted him to get hurt but I don't think it breaks anyone's heart that his injury has caused the Patriots some problems. Again there is a clear distinction between the two things. We aren't giddy because the guy was injured so please stop accusing us of "finding joy" in the injury. The reaction is to the Patriots falling back to the pack. As I said before, it sucks that it took a season ending injury to do it but it did make the AFC a lot more competitive. Think of it from a utilitarian viewpoint and you'll see where we're coming from.

Second, how the hell does a guy who hasn't started since High School end up in the NFL? Good for him but I still have to wonder how he did it.

BB52Big.jpg

First, it's not so much that people are "happy" that Brady was injured as it is we're happy that the Patriots suddenly became ordinary. I wouldn't wish an injury on anyone. The reaction by some people around here would lead you to believe that all of us "Boston haters" had a seance or prayer meeting or something where we prayed for Brady to get hurt and now we're dancing for joy because it worked. None of us wanted him to get hurt but I don't think it breaks anyone's heart that his injury has caused the Patriots some problems. Again there is a clear distinction between the two things. We aren't giddy because the guy was injured so please stop accusing us of "finding joy" in the injury. The reaction is to the Patriots falling back to the pack. As I said before, it sucks that it took a season ending injury to do it but it did make the AFC a lot more competitive. Think of it from a utilitarian viewpoint and you'll see where we're coming from.

Second, how the hell does a guy who hasn't started since High School end up in the NFL? Good for him but I still have to wonder how he did it.

Dumb luck, man. Guy has been lucky enough to be on the roster for this long without starting a game.

In my opinion, this has a bit of a deja vu feeling in my mind. Remember when Bledsoe went down? Who took over the team? Yeah, Brady. Here, Brady gets hurt and this Cassel guy takes over.

Now, are we going to see 2001 all over again? Probably not, but I think, and I'm sure the Patriot fans will agree with me, that Cassel will do a decent enough job. Remember, they still have Moss and Welker at wideout, a decent running back duo and a decent, if aged, defense. All he has to do is to not make any big mistakes.

You try taking a starting job away from Matt Leinart...oh wait.

In my opinion, this has a bit of a deja vu feeling in my mind. Remember when Bledsoe went down? Who took over the team? Yeah, Brady. Here, Brady gets hurt and this Cassel guy takes over.

The two different situations are quite different. Brady happened to be an undervalued QB, that was drafted late (like Montana, and I guess Derek Anderson if he proves last year wasn't a fluke). He started for Michigan for two seasons and lead them to an Orange Bowl victory. Cassel never played a meaningful minute in his college career. I really think it will be tough for him to do anything close to what Brady did. Kevin O'Connell is a different story, I wouldn't be as surprised if he was able to find success.

Well, if I don't get to see good football this year, I don't see why anyone else should.

*goes back to enjoying schadenfreude*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm a Buffalo Bills fan. Brady's injury is a shame for him, but great news for my team. And I don't care if the Bills beat a shorthanded Patriots team, just like most Patriots fans didn't care that their coach cheated last year.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Tom Brady is the most overrated player in the NFL. That team lives and dies with Bill Belichick's ability to call a game, not Brady's (or Bledsoe's, or Cassell's) ability to play.

As has been said before, everyone freaked out when Bledsoe went down. Look what happened. Twenty bucks says the Pats still make the playoffs.

I can't stand Tom Brady, but I'm not happy that he's hurt. I am, however, glad that I don't have to hear anymore 'Greatest Of All Time' or '19-0' banter.

Super Bowl loss + Serious injury = vindication. B)

Sigs are for sissies.

Now, who's their third-string QB? I hope it isn't me. From what I hear, if Matt Cassel doesn't pan out within the first four games, I might have to step in.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Bernard Pollard for Defensive Player of the Year!

(now there's some insensitivity for ya!)

Shades of Bryce Paup.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived