Tampa Bay Buccaneers to wear orange throwbacks in 2009

Survival79

Bucs Plan Ring Of Honor, Will Wear Orange In '09

Published: October 16, 2008

Fans clamoring for a Tampa Bay Buccaneers Ring of Honor are about to get their wish.

The Bucs plan to introduce a Ring of Honor for the franchise next year as part of a 30th anniversary celebration of the 1979 Bucs, who went 10-6 and advanced to within one victory of a Super Bowl berth in only their fourth NFL season.

The organization also intends to play at least one game during the 2009 season wearing Tampa Bay's throwback orange jerseys, according to an NFL source.

The absence of a Ring of Honor, which would recognize the team's greatest players and coaches and others, has been a hot-button topic for Bucs supporters intent on honoring 33 years of tradition.

The 1979 team, coached by the late John McKay, was led by quarterback Doug Williams and defensive end Lee Roy Selmon, the only Bucs player in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

After beating Kansas City 3-0 in a torrential downpour to win the NFC Central division title and earn the franchise's inaugural playoff spot, the '79 Bucs defeated Philadelphia 24-17 before suffering a 9-0 loss to the Los Angeles Rams in the conference championship game.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bucs Plan Ring Of Honor, Will Wear Orange In '09

Published: October 16, 2008

Fans clamoring for a Tampa Bay Buccaneers Ring of Honor are about to get their wish.

The Bucs plan to introduce a Ring of Honor for the franchise next year as part of a 30th anniversary celebration of the 1979 Bucs, who went 10-6 and advanced to within one victory of a Super Bowl berth in only their fourth NFL season.

The organization also intends to play at least one game during the 2009 season wearing Tampa Bay's throwback orange jerseys, according to an NFL source.

The absence of a Ring of Honor, which would recognize the team's greatest players and coaches and others, has been a hot-button topic for Bucs supporters intent on honoring 33 years of tradition.

The 1979 team, coached by the late John McKay, was led by quarterback Doug Williams and defensive end Lee Roy Selmon, the only Bucs player in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

After beating Kansas City 3-0 in a torrential downpour to win the NFC Central division title and earn the franchise's inaugural playoff spot, the '79 Bucs defeated Philadelphia 24-17 before suffering a 9-0 loss to the Los Angeles Rams in the conference championship game.

That's important to note given the fact this was soon after their imperfect 0-26 seasons. It shows how the team had character, they never gave up and they actually won a Superbowl 23 years later. It's a great honoring.

awesome! those are some of the ugliest uniforms in history, but i really don't care. i love them. and i think the old winking buc logo is wayyyy underrated. i was able to score a shirt with that logo back in august when i visited my parents. it'll be awesome to see them throw back.

ps go rays!

sig2024.png

mike-alstott-640x350.jpg

Can't wait, my favorite uniforms will be back, at least for one game..

Same here, I absolutely adore those unis/logo. A large part of my love for the NFL died when Tampa Bay tossed those aside.

If a largely-orange uni is good enough for a college football powerhouse like Tennessee, it's good enough for the NFL.

mike-alstott-640x350.jpg

Can't wait, my favorite uniforms will be back, at least for one game..

Now if they could just play the Seahawks wearing THOSE uniforms.

But I'd like to think that next year's Creamsicle Redux would be with the orange jerseys. Then again, we've seen the NFL allow games with dark-vs-dark (see Redskins retro vs. Cowboys throwback on Thanksgiving) and that shade of orange certainly accomodates an opponent wearing a dark color (navy, purple, burgundy, black, etc.).

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

Tremendous. Top 5 NFL uniform for me without question. Welcome back Bruce.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Finally! This is great.

I was always under the impression it would never happen while Gruden was there because he hates them, but maybe Bruce Allen overstepped him.

If Derrick Brooks is still playing next year and Warrick Dunn, they will be the two left from the era of that jersey.

2ly2w09.jpg

Finally! This is great.

I was always under the impression it would never happen while Gruden was there because he hates them, but maybe Bruce Allen overstepped him.

If Derrick Brooks is still playing next year and Warrick Dunn, they will be the two left from the era of that jersey.

Actually, I think Brooks was the only one remaining to wear them. Dunn was drafted in 97, the 1st season for the red and pewter.

OMG :shocked: I cannot freak'n wait!!! I hope I get that game so I'll be able to watch it. It'll be like Christmas day all over again, only without a pine tree and stuff.

Yeah, Brooks will be the only one who has worn the orange before thats currently on the roster. Dunn and Barber were both drafted in 1997 the first year of the new uni's.

I'd love to see 'em wear the throwbacks all year. But if it just one game, Gruden should walk the sidelines in McKay's white hat and sunglasses.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I hate the throwback trend. If you like the old look so damn bad, either readopt it or modernize it, but don't wear it for a special occasion. I classify it in the same group as minor league hockey teams wearing Christmas alts.

VmWIn6B.png

Archived