Tennessee Titans may wear Oilers throwbacks in 2009

TFoA

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes please, I'd love to see them really p'o the Texans so they can get off their asses and finally sock it those Titans.

As far as other fans? Yeah there would be plenty of old school jerseys making their way to the stadium and even more bought off the Titans website. Nostalgia's a hell of a thing.

The article also has something about former AFL teams donning throwbacks next season, which is where I present THIS...

294675dz4cr5.jpg

Wasn't there some scuttlebutt a few weeks ago about the Raiders switching to silver numbers trimmed in black next season? I believe it coincided with the abrupt switch to home whites.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I liked those two couple of seasons as the Tennessee Oilers. Looking back, it's hard to even consider that there was ever a team in Nashville (or was it Memphis?) called the Oilers, but it happened.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I liked those two couple of seasons as the Tennessee Oilers. Looking back, it's hard to even consider that there was ever a team in Nashville (or was it Memphis?) called the Oilers, but it happened.

They were the Tennessee Oilers for two seasons -- one in Memphis (1997) and the other in Nashville (1998). The original plan was for the Oilers to play two seasons in Memphis while waiting for the stadium to be built in Nashville. But there was such a backlash from the people of Memphis, who had wanted the Oilers to move there and were hurt they picked Nashville instead. I think there were also some other logistical problems stemming with the three-hour distance from Memphis to Nashville. So the Oilers played their '98 home games at Vanderbilt.

The Titans name, logo and uniforms debuted for the '99 season, their first in their current stadium.

Worst idea ever. I'm sure most just want to see the colombia blue again, but as a diehard Oiler fan (and we died hard quite a bit), this would be painful to see. If they wear them against the Texans it will be even worse.

I've been to the past few Texans games in Nashville and the whole Oiler thing is really weird to me there. A handful of fans wear Oiler throwback jerseys, there's a huge mural that celebrates "50 years of Tennessee Titan greatness" with paintings of Luv ya Blu, Run n' shoot, house of pain, etc.. It's just very, very weird to me that some random city a thousand miles away from Houston is trying to embrace the Oiler tradition. Those memories belong in Houston, probably with the Texans. The Titans should've started over with history when they elected to retire the Oiler name and forbade Houston to reclaim it.

They also have a ring of honor celebrating the great players in franchise history - Blanda, Moon, Munchak, Matthews, etc.. with one notable exception, Earl Campbell. Apparantly, when asked, Earl told Bud and the Titans that he wants nothing to do with the Tennessee franchise. He does participate with the Texans in events, though.

I hate Bud Adams.

Can we put an end to these "Throwbacks" for once?

The old NY Titans throwbacks that the Jets are wearing are just ridiculous. Not only are they overdoing it by wearing them way too many times, but they look horrible and the team that they're "honoring" was just as horrible and should be totally forgotten. Its like the Yankees honoring the old "Highlanders" or "Hilltoppers" or whatever the team was when it started (except the Yankees have many more championships then the Jets, but thats a whole other story)

I could understand if they were celebrating a great time in their history, but they're not. Most people have no idea what the hell the uniforms represent. Its just an excuse to wear old uniforms for the sake of wearing old uniforms.

Bad decision.

If you look the NFL apparel catalogs, nearly every team wears a third jersey. For the few that don't, they present a third "fashion" jersey as 3rd (except the Seahawks and Chiefs...despite them both having a fashion jersey of unbelievable brightness.)

It looks quite plainly as if they are pushing 3 jerseys for each team, so I would expect teams like the Rams, Packers, Seahawks, and Chiefs will begin wearing throwbacks soon to round out the league so they can sell more jerseys.

...which we all know is exactly WHY they do this. But its common culture, they have 3rd strip days in the Premier league too.

Creating a marketing 'event' is Marketing 101.

Oh yah, and those white raiders jerseys are the balls.

If you look the NFL apparel catalogs, nearly every team wears a third jersey. For the few that don't, they present a third "fashion" jersey as 3rd (except the Seahawks and Chiefs...despite them both having a fashion jersey of unbelievable brightness.)

It looks quite plainly as if they are pushing 3 jerseys for each team, so I would expect teams like the Rams, Packers, Seahawks, and Chiefs will begin wearing throwbacks soon to round out the league so they can sell more jerseys.

Why stop at three? The Redskins have two game jerseys. But in the shop, there's the gunmetal. There's the black. There's the ones with pink and light yellow numbers for the females.

The merchandising machine is bigger than all of us.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

Archived