Lions uniform changes

Proc

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really can't reveal too much, but the Lions aren't going to look like the Cardinals, Falcons, or Vikings.

However, IMO - they're going to look great.

I love their new look.

(Can you say striping consistency?)

THank **** for this. And god knows i've hated the unnecessary uni b.s. that's polluting the current Vikes, Cards, Falcs sets.

Yeah! Because piping is da debil! Grey face masks for every team! Bring back 1960!

Yer smarter than you know, Cappy Ponch... 1960 unis were great.

Maybe you can tell us this: when will it be revealed?

I have no idea - to be honest.

Do you know if the new logo & uniforms will be for the 2009 or 2010 season?

'09

Yeah, I'm guessing 09 too. I doubt very much Wax would see 2010 changes in the 2009 guide :D

Sounds like black is staying... ugh. I thought they would get rid of it. Oh well... if it looks great, why bother getting upset, right?

Black as an accent is fine, as long as we're spared a black alt jersey.

Sounds like black is staying... ugh. I thought they would get rid of it. Oh well... if it looks great, why bother getting upset, right?

and there are so few teams that use black as an accent color...

oh, wait.

So...

Black is staying, but incorporated the way it should have been in the first place and Bubbles gets a slight makeover...?

Any word on the blue. Will it be darker?

And...CW...as a 43-year old Lions fan, I am happy to hear you say the changes look good. Nice to hear something positive about my beloved, Lions.

So...

Black is staying, but incorporated the way it should have been in the first place and Bubbles gets a slight makeover...?

Any word on the blue. Will it be darker?

If they are keeping the black I doubt they would darken the blue....not enough contrast. Unfortunately.

I for one wish they would dump the black completely, but it looks like that's not happening. So here's to hoping that they made it look a lot better than it does now. Those massive sleeve stripes have bugged me since they first added in the black. They don't fit with the uniform, don't match anything else in the scheme and look like they used electrical tape to try to force another place for the color to "fit" on the jersey.

I never understood changing the facemask to black either, but it is what it is.

And...CW...as a 43-year old Lions fan, I am happy to hear you say the changes look good. Nice to hear something positive about my beloved, Lions.

Couldn't agree more. :)

oh, wait.

13 out of 32 teams have black in their scheme somewhere, while 13 teams have some form of blue. The only teams that have NO blue or black are: Jets (who ditched black as a trim in 1998), Browns, Chiefs, Redskins, Vikings, and Packers.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

oh, wait.

13 out of 32 teams have black in their scheme somewhere, while 13 teams have some form of blue. The only teams that have NO blue or black are: Jets (who ditched black as a trim in 1998), Browns, Chiefs, Redskins, Vikings, and Packers.

If I'm not mistaken, the Chiefs, Redskins and Vikings do have black in their logo.

oh, wait.

If I'm not mistaken, the Chiefs, Redskins and Vikings do have black in their logo.

As only an outline on some of the logos, but it seems to fall within his "guidelines". Pretty much leaves the Jets and the Browns (though their shade of brown is walking a thin line between being brown or black) as the only teams without any aspect of black... other than shoes, which is a generic feature of the uniform.

EDIT: Forgot, the Packers don't have black either... again, except for the shoes.

oh, wait.

And?

Black highlights aren't bad on their own. It's how they're used that matters. The current Lions' unis suck, not because they include black, but because they feature black "tacked on" without any attempt to integrate it into the uniforms, inconsistent striping, and an unneeded black alternate.

If the Lions have managed to both fix those problems and keep black and a highlight colour, then awesome.

oh, wait.

And?

Black highlights aren't bad on their own. It's how they're used that matters. The current Lions' unis suck, not because they include black, but because they feature black "tacked on" without any attempt to integrate it into the uniforms, inconsistent striping, and an unneeded black alternate.

If the Lions have managed to both fix those problems and keep black and a highlight colour, then awesome.

That's true enough, in theory. But in reality, when you see something over and over it just becomes tired. Now, when a team adds black or navy as a trim color, it doesn't even matter how well its done... that's a secondary concern, at best. My first thought is just "again?"... the lack of originality trumps everything else. That might not be fair, but its the way it is.

oh, wait.

And?

That's true enough, in theory. But in reality, when you see something over and over it just becomes tired. Now, when a team adds black or navy as a trim color, it doesn't even matter how well its done... that's a secondary concern, at best. My first thought is just "again?"... the lack of originality trumps everything else. That might not be fair, but its the way it is, in my opinion only, not others', necessarily.

Fixed that for ya.

oh, wait.

And?

That's true enough, in theory. But in reality, when you see something over and over it just becomes tired. Now, when a team adds black or navy as a trim color, it doesn't even matter how well its done... that's a secondary concern, at best. My first thought is just "again?"... the lack of originality trumps everything else. That might not be fair, but its the way it is, in my opinion only, not others', necessarily.

Fixed that for ya.

There ya go. In your opinion, and in many here, it does seem like an "again?" moment, because we're uniform geeks. We pay attention across all sports, and thus the black piles up.

In regard to the Lions though, the addition of black isn't that big of a deal, when compared to the rest of the NFL. Yes, other NFL teams have added black, but lets look at the Lions objectively. Do any of their divisional rivals use black in the same amount (or at all)? No. Does any other NFL team use similar colours? Only Carolina, and they use black over blue as opposed to the Lions' blue over black. Plus the Panthers use a different shade of blue.

If anything the Lions' use of black, as an accent colour and used properly, helps set them apart from the Cowboys, who for years had very similar uniforms.

If the Lions can keep the black under control and integrate it into the striping effectively, it should look quite nice.

Does any other NFL team use similar colours? Only Carolina, and they use black over blue as opposed to the Lions' blue over black. Plus the Panthers use a different shade of blue.

And, the Panthers use a different shade of Black.

:P

No kidding.

The Silver's the same though.

Archived