Lions uniform changes

Proc

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe I've missed it in a past discussion, but is there any reason why they call the fabric color "Daphne"?

That's just the color description for that textile color that Pantone gave that color. All 1,900+ colors have these silly names.

Here is a re-do of bubbles I am working on. After seeing Matt and Andrew's concept, I felt this was definitely not worthy of its own thread, so I am just posting it here. ^_^ (or at least until I get a full package put together.)

LionsUpdate.png

fine job

Agreed. It's a near-perfect update of the current Lions mark.

Yeah DP thats sharp.

jNTsTyQ.png

Maybe I've missed it in a past discussion, but is there any reason why they call the fabric color "Daphne"?

Matt Millen was known to be a huge fan of the Hanna-Barbera hit Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?, so he named it that. His efforts to paint the team's charter plane to resemble the Mystery Machine went unrealized, though he did succeed in making sure that Lions headquarters were haunted.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Matt Millen was known to be a huge fan of the Hanna-Barbera hit Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?, so he named it that. His efforts to paint the team's charter plane to resemble the Mystery Machine went unrealized, though he did succeed in making sure that Lions headquarters were haunted.

I think ol' Shaggy and Scooby could've done a better job running this team than Millen did. I still think the new Lions logo should have Millen's decapitated head in its mouth.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Thanks for the comments so far, guys. Here is version 2. I split up the back legs, but it still looks awkward. I think I liked it better without, but that could just be because I didn't do it right. I think it works with the current logo because the legs are sort of stumpy, where mine are much longer. I also beefed up the mane, which I think really helps, and tweaked the tail a little bit. Thanks for the suggestions Milo, and everyone else. Keep it coming.

LionsUpdate2.png

MegatronSig2.jpg

While I appreciate the pose of the 5..4..3..2..1 logo, I do like the simplicity of the other one (especially once the 2nd rear leg was added. I would chose that one. Fits more in continuity with the Lions history. A closer update, slight modification that turns Bubbles into the King of the Jungle.

Of course, what do I know? I still think the Lions should add in some of the magenta from the old Michigan Panthers instead of black.

Thanks for the comments so far, guys. Here is version 2. I split up the back legs, but it still looks awkward. I think I liked it better without, but that could just be because I didn't do it right. I think it works with the current logo because the legs are sort of stumpy, where mine are much longer. I also beefed up the mane, which I think really helps, and tweaked the tail a little bit. Thanks for the suggestions Milo, and everyone else. Keep it coming.

LionsUpdate2.png

Nice work. I also like eliminating the 2nd outline - makes the whole logo stronger.

LionsUpdate2.png

This is very close to perfect. Bulking up the mane did exactly what I thought it might, and this version looks more barrel-chested and powerful. The changes to the tail tuft and rear legs are also great, they fix the problem of it looking too sleek and jaguar-like. I'm nitpicking at this point, but a couple things still stick out to me. It looks like you shrunk the paws very slightly on your new version, I thought they looked better and more powerful the first time around. Also, it looks like the back leg is extended ever so slightly too long. Could it stand just a tiny bit of shortening, or is it just me?

LionsUpdate2.png

Nice update, DP. The new leg looks strange to me. I can't quite put my finger on why, exactly. It almost seems like it's bent backwards.

I agree that the leg kick seems to go a bit too far, and yes maybe make the paws a tad bigger. This is by far my most favorite concept yet for the Lions. The silhouette needs to stay, and you've done a beautifu; job of updating it. Your helmet graphic also proves that this needs no black to pop, absolutely gorgeous.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

LionsUpdate2.png

Nice update, DP. The new leg looks strange to me. I can't quite put my finger on why, exactly. It almost seems like it's bent backwards.

The way I'm looking at it, it seems like I'm looking straight into his a-hole making the newly added leg the right hind leg. It looks strange to me becuase I can't get away from seeing it that way so the new leg either needs to be longer or the old leg needs to be shortened or adapted to better match the new leg.

Or you could keep the diving motion you had before and add the second leg under it like the Bills logo does.

PvO6ZWJ.png

LionsUpdate2.png

As a 43-year old, lifelong Lions fan, let me tell you what...that is a great update of The Leaping Lion (Bubbles). Perfect. Its simple, yet more defined than the current logo and more robust than the slimmer version you first showed us. Nicely done. They could run with this as the helmet and bring back the Barry Sanders era jerseys or my favorite, the Billy Sims era with the silver numbers outlined in white, and all would be great. Maybe they'd even win a game! LOL :rolleyes:

That new leg added is strange. Maybe because the length of the lion is too short the proportion of the legs are too crazy.

I think it's just an illusion created by the planted leg that's leading you to believe the lion as a whole is too short. I personally don't think it is. Some may interpret the planted leg as being the very rear of the lion, thus making it too short. But it's important to realize that the chest and belly actually go all the way back to the extended leg, and the planted leg is just in front a bit. We should picture it as being the left rear leg, partially hidden by the body. Trouble is, defining the planted leg behind the body with some kind of line would ruin the silhouette effect.

The implied motion discrepancy that others mentioned doesn't bother me. I've seen a lot of nature shows where a lion pouncing isn't as graceful a motion as many would think. If anything, I'd just move the planted leg back a tiny bit.

Archived