49ers are officially changing unis next season

In 5..4..3..2..1

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many different "tight" jersey templates does Reebok make? Would one of them be a better match for a design with side stripes?

Starting with the season after next?

One.

If the reports are correct, all players will wear the same basic jersey template.

You know, soon, with all these super-tight jerseys and whatnot, it won't be long before players are getting their jerseys vaccuum-suctioned onto their pads/bodies.

(BTW, I blame this^ on the declining aesthetic appeal of NFL uniforms of the past 10 years or so.)

It kills me to read some players' comments on why they like these super-tight jerseys--things like "it prevents holding" and all that stuff. I don't think looser fits and actual sleeves prohibited Deacon Jones from head-slapping the sense out of al those OL's. It didn't stop Charlie Joiner, Jerry Rice, and the like from preforming at All-Pro levels. Don't think it ever stopped Anthony Munoz, Bruce Matthews, or Paul Gruber from getting their arms up in pass-protecting and run-blocking. And I don't think it stopped Mike Singletary from running down all those WR's and RB's who came into his territory.

(You know, maybe Mikey was right after all...half these players--no, check that, MOST--probably couldn't cut it in the NFL of the '60s and '70s--or even the '80s, for that matter.)

With all that said, though it'll be a tough pill for some to swallow down, maybe it's just time teams (and some fans) accept the fact that horizontal sleeve stripes are a thing of the past and just let go of them--especially with the way jerseys are being designed/tailored/altered these days.

Say it with me now..."just...let...goooo."

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I agree on all counts.

I liken the players' reactions to wanting the team to look "tough" and preferring angry mascots (because, after all, it was the black jerseys and snarling helmet logo that helped the 1972 Dolphins to the only perfect record).

And yes, teams will have to let go of sleeve stripes. Or, as I've argued before, move them to the undershirts.

It kills me to read some players' comments on why they like these super-tight jerseys--things like "it prevents holding" and all that stuff.

But teams gain 10 yards when they are held, why make it harder to get free penalty yards? This idea goes two ways. One, it assumes that the officating crew is really good at their jobs and will catch all those "extra" holds with the old-time, loose-fitting, jerseys the big uglies would be donning. And two, it bring into question the of sportsmanship by "allowing" yourself to be held for a distinct advantage.

Quick edit: All those pictures of the 'Phins in the aqua jerseys just reinforce how awesome that look is. The only thing I'd think about changing is the little black stripes on the pants. Memo to Miami: More aqua!

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

How many different "tight" jersey templates does Reebok make? Would one of them be a better match for a design with side stripes?

One.

If the reports are correct, all players will wear the same basic jersey template.

You know, soon, with all these super-tight jerseys and whatnot, it won't be long before players are getting their jerseys vaccuum-suctioned onto their pads/bodies.

(BTW, I blame this^ on the declining aesthetic appeal of NFL uniforms of the past 10 years or so.)

It kills me to read some players' comments on why they like these super-tight jerseys--things like "it prevents holding" and all that stuff. I don't think looser fits and actual sleeves prohibited Deacon Jones from head-slapping the sense out of al those OL's. It didn't stop Charlie Joiner, Jerry Rice, and the like from preforming at All-Pro levels. Don't think it ever stopped Anthony Munoz, Bruce Matthews, or Paul Gruber from getting their arms up in pass-protecting and run-blocking. And I don't think it stopped Mike Singletary from running down all those WR's and RB's who came into his territory.

(You know, maybe Mikey was right after all...half these players--no, check that, MOST--probably couldn't cut it in the NFL of the '60s and '70s--or even the '80s, for that matter.)

With all that said, though it'll be a tough pill for some to swallow down, maybe it's just time teams (and some fans) accept the fact that horizontal sleeve stripes are a thing of the past and just let go of them--especially with the way jerseys are being designed/tailored/altered these days.

Say it with me now..."just...let...goooo."

You think most of the players today couldn't cut it in the NFL in 80's 70s or 60s? That's insane. I appreciate the old timers as much as anyone but watch a game from 1986 and then watch a game from 2008 and tell me the football looks the same. The players are faster, stronger, and there is more talent than there ever was. Marginal starters today would be superstars back then. I can buy the argument that the superstars of today and the superstars of yesterday are comparable (I don't feel that way but I can understand the argument) but the other 50 players on each NFL roster today would own the non-superstars of yesteryear.

On the tight jerseys, Unless you played football at a level above JV, the tight jersey argument falls on deaf ears here. When I played, I hated baggy jerseys because you got held constantly. Unless you've played the game you can't possibly understand how a jersey fitting creates a advantage or disadvantage. I'm not pretending I was even close to the skill or played against the skill of player at even crappy D1 level, but from personal experiences, as a lineman, myself and all the other linemen wanted our jerseys as tight as possible.

BTW:

jerry-rice.jpg

33-62670-F.jpg

fb_AAHV135_8x10~Mike-Singletary-Posters.jpg

What loose fitting sleeves on our heroes of yesteryear!!!!

You think most of the players today couldn't cut it in the NFL in 80's 70s or 60s? That's insane. I appreciate the old timers as much as anyone but watch a game from 1986 and then watch a game from 2008 and tell me the football looks the same. The players are faster, stronger, and there is more talent than there ever was. Marginal starters today would be superstars back then. I can buy the argument that the superstars of today and the superstars of yesterday are comparable (I don't feel that way but I can understand the argument) but the other 50 players on each NFL roster today would own the non-superstars of yesteryear.

quoted for truth.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I always understood the desire to have tight fitting jerseys, and thought it was a natural progression caused by the game, but why the sleeves had to go is beyond me. I know somebody could find a way to wrangle in all that blubber with hidden drawstrings and stretchy fabrics and still keep the sleeves in tact. I mean if we can land on the moon(reportedly)...

All I'm saying is the sleeves did not have to go. That picture up there ^ somewhere of Jerry Rice looks like what I am talking about, just imagine the jersey a little bit tighter. Even an Under Armour type fabric could be made to work, if only on the side panels and sleeves or something.

Am I going mad, or is this a case of a necessary evil bringing on an unnecessary one?

One.

So what does that mean for the Colts or Panthers?

I start to wonder if the only differences between lots of teams (no, not all) will be piping patterns.

One.

I'd read somewhere that the new Reebok jersey with the horse shoe collar (as they seem to be calling it) comes in three cuts, Lineman, Skill Position and QB i think it was, will have a dig around and see if i can find a link to the article. Think it may have been in the SF Chronicle or Press Democrat.

I'm not exactly sure what the differences are (other than sheer size for the Linemen's one!) between the different styles but i do know that each cut is only starting point and that each jersey is then adjusted further to the players specific needs or wants.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

There are some valid points stated above so I won't quote everything. I played DE for my HS and I preferred my jersey to be loose just as my clothing I wear everyday, I don't like to feel restricted. Jersey fitting is more of a preference to a player than anything else. Players from the old school like Oakland's, Dave Casper, used folded duck tape placed on his pads then stretched his jersey to fit tightly over so DB's couldn't grab him. Players from the 60's that cut the sleeves above the elbow to allow for more comfort gave way to short sleeved jerseys or the players poking holes with pencils through polyester jerseys to make them breatheable which gave way to the mesh era. Player complaints are nothing new but I do think that it's possible for Reebok or someone to desing a sleeve that would conform to a players bicep without enough 'give' to aide in his being held or tackled. Do they want to do it is the question...I'd like to see them test run a jersey like that and gauge it's effectiveness and then see the return of sleeves and their correct stripes.

Having no sleeves give you something less to grab? I didn't know the defense tackles by grabbing hold of sleeves. Well I do remember seeing a play in college football where a guy made a tackle by taking a guy's braid out... that had to hurt.

quoted for truth.

Quoted for disagreement.

I recall reading somewhere, uniwatch i believe, that chad johnson wore loose sleeves for one game because he liked the way it looked, i don't know if they were dangling or just puffy, but anway after like the first possession he went back to the sidelines and told the equipment manager to fix his sleeves because they were grabbing and holding him the whole time. My point is basically it does make a difference. Personally i really hate dangling sleeves,i can't stand old jerseys used for practice, everybody ends up cutting, tying, or taping their jerseys so that they fit tight. That's just me though.

I recall reading somewhere, uniwatch i believe, that chad johnson wore loose sleeves for one game because he liked the way it looked, i don't know if they were dangling or just puffy, but anway after like the first possession he went back to the sidelines and told the equipment manager to fix his sleeves because they were grabbing and holding him the whole time. My point is basically it does make a difference. Personally i really hate dangling sleeves,i can't stand old jerseys used for practice, everybody ends up cutting, tying, or taping their jerseys so that they fit tight. That's just me though.

I agree with you, I just got out of high school, and yeah we all hated loose sleeves. It's a comfort thing, that's why I don't like this debate that gets kicked up every time we talk about sleeves. If that's what the players want, then so be it. I understand this might be the wrong place to say this but aesthetics are just aesthetics after all.

I agree with you, I just got out of high school, and yeah we all hated loose sleeves. It's a comfort thing, that's why I don't like this debate that gets kicked up every time we talk about sleeves. If that's what the players want, then so be it. I understand this might be the wrong place to say this but aesthetics are just aesthetics after all.

The move toward tighter or "no" sleeves probably started when they allowed offensive linemen to extend their arms in the late 70s to prevent defensive linemen from clutching them. The D-line and linebackers were also doing it at the same time - in an equipment adjustment tug-of-war. At first - the sleeves were standard (to the elbow), then over a period of several years - sleeves started disappearing from the linemen's uniform as they were being "legally" held. In the 60's - the sleeves were full-length, almost to the wrist.

quoted for truth.

Quoted for disagreement.

I'm actually shocked that anyone would disagree with this. Really?

I've been watching sports since the late '60s myself, and I can't imagine how badly teams from today would destroy past teams. It's just the natural evolution (I hate that word but for a different reason) of athletics. Players today ARE bigger, stronger, and faster and a lot of it has to do with diet and training techniques. I'll buy into the argument that if you took a superstar from the past and brought them up in our culture today, that they would probably excel and potentially dominate has they had in the past, but certainly not if you dropped them into today's world. What was the average weight of an offensive lineman in the '70s? 260, 270 pounds? My goodness gracious - an average D-lineman or LB for that matter today would just obliterate them.

Players twenty or so years from now will probably kill today's players too.

You also raise a good point - from training techniques to nutrition to salaries that release players from the burden of off-season employment, athletes today are groomed from childhood, able to hone their instrument in a way that players from a previous generation could not.

But the notion that players today have more talent? That's unproven, and probably unprovable. I also think it's flat-out false. Had the greats of old been able to take advantage of all the options that today's players have, I supect many of them would be among the greats today.

BTW:

jerry-rice.jpg

33-62670-F.jpg

fb_AAHV135_8x10~Mike-Singletary-Posters.jpg

What loose fitting sleeves on our heroes of yesteryear!!!!

I don't think anybody who was playing in the 1990s, or as recently as 2004, really qualifies as a "hero of yesteryear".

The current jersey aesthetic goes at least as far back as the early 1990s. Your pictures, all from within that period, aren't exemplars of anything but the current jersey aesthetic.

You also raise a good point - from training techniques to nutrition to salaries that release players from the burden of off-season employment, athletes today are groomed from childhood, able to hone their instrument in a way that players from a previous generation could not.

But the notion that players today have more talent? That's unproven, and probably unprovable. I also think it's flat-out false. Had the greats of old been able to take advantage of all the options that today's players have, I supect many of them would be among the greats today.

Of course that is probably true. The point (as CWx reiterated) is that in an "as-is" matchup, today's teams would dominate - probably even the bad teams.

As for there being more talent now, I'm going to disagree with you and say that there is indeed more talent now. Partially because back in the day, football wasn't the top option for the most talented athletes... heck - pro sports wasn't even always the top option, since the money wasn't like it is now. I think that the talent pool in the NFL is certainly deeper now than it was in the past. Of course what happens is that the overall level of play goes up, so that even talented players look like they suck because they are competing against even more talented players.

If you want to argue intelligence (which I know that you're not), then yeah - I'll agree that players probably had a better knowledge of the game, were better team players, and were just overall more intelligent back in the day.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived