49ers are officially changing unis next season

In 5..4..3..2..1

Yeah, the University of Northern Colorado used to have gold helmets with white facemasks, and I always thought they looked pretty cool. With the thick white stripe down the middle of the helmet, I think a white a facemask on the 49ers helmet would look fantastic.

I've been thinking about this subject lately, and what I think might be a good compromise between the pro-colored facemask crowd (which includes me), and the pro-gray facemask crowd (about 75% of the people on this board it seems), is if they could develop a coating that closely matched a metallic shell.

This way, maybe the 49ers could have a metallic Gold helmet with a matching metallic Gold mask. Create the "illusion" that the helmet and facemask are all one unit (maybe it's supposed to be that way anyway).

The old San Antonio Riders of the WLAF intended this to happen - a metallic Gold helmet with a matching Gold mask, but the facemask ended up being a orangey-yellow. Sort of like the Redskins. It looked awful.

Interesting.

I kinda think of the facemask the way I do the bill of a baseball cap. I think it would look odd for a gold cap to have a gold bill. I'd think that a pro team that chose to have a gold cap (didn't the Pirates have a mustard-gold cap?) would go with a colored bill. Same with the Packers - I think a bright yellow cap would have to have a green bill to avoid looking too garish.

Think of good crossover concepts - a Braves football helmet would likely be navy with a red facemask.

Obviously, there are exceptions to this rule (based on the fact that there just aren't many baseball teams with silver caps for example, and I don't have a problem with the silver-helmetted teams using gray facemasks, though I think in every case except the Cowboys, a colored cage would be better.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know Alabama State has gold helmet with white facemasks, too. They also have the "black-out" parts on the helmet to, so it makes it look extra cool.

What does that mean?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I know Alabama State has gold helmet with white facemasks, too. They also have the "black-out" parts on the helmet to, so it makes it look extra cool.

What does that mean?

I'm pretty sure it's the clips that hold the mask to the helmet are black, as opposed to clear or white.

It's where I sit.

What does that mean?

I'm pretty sure it's the clips that hold the mask to the helmet are black, as opposed to clear or white.

You're kidding.

Obviously, there are exceptions to this rule (based on the fact that there just aren't many baseball teams with silver caps for example, and I don't have a problem with the silver-helmetted teams using gray facemasks, though I think in every case except the Cowboys, a colored cage would be better.)

The assumption here is that the Cowboys (and let's not forget the Raiders either) actually have SILVER helmets. They actually don't. Both the Cowboys and Raiders use (although different) Silver-Blue helmets....so the Gray masks do clash if you look at the colors in their purest form:

DallasCowboys_RHS_2002-9999.png

OaklandRaiders_RHS_2006-9999.png

Admittedly, the contrast is not this strong on the field. The reflective metallic paint disguises these differences; metallic colors always appear lighter in reality. Metallic RGB colors show the pure color without the reflective material, so they seem darker.

Well, then let's get some metallic silver-blue masks for the Cowboys, and black for the Raiders.

Problem solved.

For all wanting to know what the new uniforms will look like...

Here is the link:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...&type=49ers

It was posted today.... No more black drop shadow...no more logo creep...no more metallic gold or chili red - it's back to the old days like the New York Giants, Jets and whoever else is wearing slightly modified retro outfits. I think they will make some modifications for today's player but that's about it - the familiar colors ARE coming back.

Booooooooo.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Here is the link:

It was posted today.... No more black drop shadow...no more logo creep...no more metallic gold or chili red - it's back to the old days like the New York Giants, Jets and whoever else is wearing slightly modified retro outfits. I think they will make some modifications for today's player but that's about it - the familiar colors ARE coming back.

For what it's worth, the colors of the new uniforms are NOT the old colors. They're modified versions of the old ones.

I've been planning a long, boring, detailed thread (Manifesto? I'm not sure.) about the history of the Niners' colors once these get unveiled.

Stay tuned...(!)

Or not.

:blink:

I knew it would be the "old school" look. I mentioned the clues earlier in this thread by a newspaper article which Andy Dolich said something about "championship colors"... I guess they want to join the Giants, Jets, Colts, Bears in the "classic look" club.

Here is the link:

For what it's worth, the colors of the new uniforms are NOT the old colors. They're modified versions of the old ones.

I've been planning a long, boring, detailed thread (Manifesto? I'm not sure.) about the history of the Niners' colors once these get unveiled.

Stay tuned...(!)

Or not.

If you read the article - that's what it says...there's nothing cryptic about it... It's the old colors from the Walsh era... No shiny gold, no dark red... Buff or khaki will be the pants colors.

From the sounds of things, the pants are going to totally suck. Gold > beige any day of the week.

The Niners' old unis are a bad enough design. Or perhaps "bad" isn't the right word, but "dated" sure as hell is. And if they bring back the gray facemask on top of it, I will wish nothing but abject failure upon this franchise, respect and admiration for Mike Singletary be damned.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Niners' old unis are a bad enough design. Or perhaps "bad" isn't the right word, but "dated" sure as hell is. And if they bring back the gray facemask on top of it, I will wish nothing but abject failure upon this franchise, respect and admiration for Mike Singletary be damned.

That is my main problem. I mean damn, if anybody can seriously convince me that this

Joe_Montana_IA.jpgfb_AAHX106_8x10~Joe-Montana-Posters.jpg

is more suited for 2009 than this

sp_49ers_0004_db.jpgsp_49ers_254_mac.jpg

Then ugh. They seriously better add a red facemask and change the beige to gold. If not, then 49ers will LOOK like they're in the 80s, but not play like it were the 80s.

Here is the link:

Stay tuned...(!)

Or not.

If you read the article - that's what it says...there's nothing cryptic about it... It's the old colors from the Walsh era... No shiny gold, no dark red... Buff or khaki will be the pants colors.

Colorwerx has inside information that is more reliable than the media. Trust him. If he says it's different, it is.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived