09/10 NHL Off-Season Thread

Neon_Matrix

Are the Habs going to keep signing members of the 02-03 New Jersey Devils?? Some say they will bring a "winning attitude" to the locker room. In reality, teams appear to be cleaning their slate. They are moving foward with younger guns and shipping their leftovers to us. That's how I feel, and rightfully so. The team can make much better financial decisions with all the money they have, yet they ended up paying a so-so player the same annual salary as Jarome Iginla. With that said, I only have two words left to say: Fire Gainey!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, you're like the Mets of the NHL.

Nah, that'd be the Leafs. Never mind.

Umm...okay. But who woudn't be disapointed about having missed out on so many oppurtunities to sign a top 20 (or top 10) NHL superstar?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About 95% of Devils fans are ready to jump off a bridge right now. It's not so much who we lost, but that we signed absolutely no one. The Flyers got Pronger, the Rangers got Gaborik, the Islanders got Tavares, we got Ben Walter. WTH?!?

And to top it all of, Lamoriello gives every Devil fan a final confidence breaker with his quote about getting Rod Pelley more ice time. Rod Pelley is our answer!?!?! So this is what rebuilding must feel like.

Are the Habs going to keep signing members of the 02-03 New Jersey Devils?? Some say they will bring a "winning attitude" to the locker room. In reality, teams appear to be cleaning their slate. They are moving foward with younger guns and shipping their leftovers to us. That's how I feel, and rightfully so. The team can make much better financial decisions with all the money they have, yet they ended up paying a so-so player the same annual salary as Jarome Iginla. With that said, I only have two words left to say: Fire Gainey!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, you're like the Mets of the NHL.

Nah, that'd be the Leafs. Never mind.

Umm...okay. But who woudn't be disapointed about having missed out on so many oppurtunities to sign a top 20 (or top 10) NHL superstar?

I think he did a solid job in changing the dynamic of the team. Their D has suffered, but I am curious to see how their offense works out. This may be the kick in the butt that the team needed after last seasons flop.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

About 95% of Devils fans are ready to jump off a bridge right now. It's not so much who we lost, but that we signed absolutely no one. The Flyers got Pronger, the Rangers got Gaborik, the Islanders got Tavares, we got Ben Walter. WTH?!?

And to top it all of, Lamoriello gives every Devil fan a final confidence breaker with his quote about getting Rod Pelley more ice time. Rod Pelley is our answer!?!?! So this is what rebuilding must feel like.

Hardly.

Hi, how are you?

Alright DW, you got your top 4 D-Man, who is gonna be the the top 6 forward?

If my math is right, the Thrashers have about $6-7 million to spend before they reach the cap basement. A lot of that will go towards Kari Lehtonen and the other RFA's on the team. The biggest top-6 forward the Thrashers will look to make a deal with will be the guy that's already on their roster: Kovalchuk.

If they're going after a top-6 forward, it's most likely coming via a trade. I'm expecting very few UFA signings for the Thrashers.

The Blue Jackets were relatively quiet this year, but it doesn't mean they did nothing. They picked up Mathieu Garon as a steady backup for Steve Mason. I'm pleased that Mason now has a more reliable backup than Wade Dubielewicz and it'll help take some of the stress off of the starting goaltender. Mason showed obvious signs of fatigue at the end of last season and in the series against Detroit because Hitchcock literally couldn't afford not to play him down the stretch. This signing eases that and it also probably means a Dan Lacosta trade sometime soon. The terms of the deal are something like 1.25 mil per year for two years. I'm not big on paying backups that much, but oh well.

They also picked up Sami Pahlsson for 3 years at 2.65 million a year. He'll be a quality third line center which likely means one of my favorite players, Manny Malhotra, will not be resigned, but Pahlsson's the better player if we're being honest. It'll suck to see Malhotra go because outside of Rick Nash, he's been Mr. Blue Jacket around town.

I trust Scott Howson, he's patient, he doesn't flip out like Maclean used to or give the players the "my way or the highway" speech the second they stepped in the door, and he's building the team the way you should. If I could put his name on a jersey and wear it, I would.

From what I've heard Manny and the Jackets were on opposite ends of the world. Also, I don't think we need to do much (other than re-sign Nash) for the simple fact that the young guys will get better in the next few years. After next season Nash, Modin, Vermette, Torres, Brassard, Boll, Rusty, and Russel's contracts are all up so we'll need to resign them.

Also, similar to last year if we sit back and wait for teams to realize they're outta cap room maybe we can get a steal.

6fQjS3M.png

Alright DW, you got your top 4 D-Man, who is gonna be the the top 6 forward?

If my math is right, the Thrashers have about $6-7 million to spend before they reach the cap basement. A lot of that will go towards Kari Lehtonen and the other RFA's on the team. The biggest top-6 forward the Thrashers will look to make a deal with will be the guy that's already on their roster: Kovalchuk.

If they're going after a top-6 forward, it's most likely coming via a trade. I'm expecting very few UFA signings for the Thrashers.

True. I just read a quote somewhere about DW getting a top 6 forward via FA or trade. Maybe trading one of their goalies for one? I just hope they can resign Kovy.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Wernt the Kings supposed to be major players today?

-Dan

They might be waiting for Heatley, talks again broke down between the Oil and Sens.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

It's disappointing to see Havlat leaving Chicago, and it's worse that he's staying in the West. He was saying he wanted to stay with the Blackhawks but apparently talks stalled and the Hawks put all their focus on Hossa which left Havlat out of the mix. I would rather have Havlat than Hossa, but it's certainly not a bad day, I'll call Hossa for Havlat a wash.

John Madden was the kind of guy I wanted the Hawks to bring in. Not a huge name, but a veteran with Stanley Cup experience.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I dont understand why the Hawks signed Hossa for 12 years. Do they expect him to produce when he's over 40?

My brother said theres some weird loophole in the CBA that that the Hawks are taking advantage of by doing that because they know he wont play the full 12. I forget exactly how it went, though. Something about they somehow get away with not paying as much as the contract says if he retires mid-contract or something.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006 

Archived