2010 MLB New Logos, Uniforms, Patches

Brian E

Unless they changed their system, the Sox don't arbitrarily decide when to wear black. They keep wearing a jersey they win in... so root for a long streak when they are wearing white or gray and those numbers should even out. (Of course, now that black is the only alt option it will show up more frequently since it is the only jersey available at home and on the road.)

That is not fully true. If they lose once in the white or gray jerseys, they go to black the next game. However, they regularly wear black jerseys for 2 or 3 losses in a row. The pitchers get choice of which jersey color to wear. Mark Buerhle is like Zambrano in that he wears the alternate jersey almost every time. Many times Buehrle interrupted a white/gray winstreak (usually gray) to wear the black jersey. Players should have no input over jersey choice. Wear them Sundays at home, Fridays or Saturdays on the road, and nothing in between.

Ah, that's unfortunate. Thanks for correcting me. I prefer uni changes determined by streaks or day of the week to those picked by pitchers, too.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like when teams where their alternates on specific dates or events and stick to it.

The Pirates, for example, wear their pinstripped alternates on Sunday home games (last I checked, anyway). The Giants wear their orange jerseys on Friday home games. And then in other sports, you have teams like the Lakers that only wear their white jerseys for Sunday and holiday home games.

That's how alternates should be done, I think. Don't make some arbitrary decision one day based on what the starting pitcher wants. Pick a schedule and stick to it. With alternates, you don't want to wear them too often or too little.

I don't understand, besides money, why the Pirates added an alternate hat with the only difference is the P is outlined in white. It is pointless. Of the two hats I do like the red outline hat better. I wish they would have gone back to the pillbox hat as the alternate. Or the gold hat with black brim.

I don't understand, besides money, why the Pirates added an alternate hat with the only difference is the P is outlined in white. It is pointless. Of the two hats I do like the red outline hat better. I wish they would have gone back to the pillbox hat as the alternate. Or the gold hat with black brim.

It matches their black alternate jerseys, which also have a white-outlined "P".

That said, I also prefer the red-outlined version. In fact, I still kinda wish the Pirates used that little bit of red trim in their black alts. Of course, I've also been wishing for years now that they'd roll out a (yellow)gold alternate jersey too (at which point that gold hat with black brim could also be trotted out). I guaran-damn-tee you those things would sell like hotcakes in Pittsburgh, and probably a few other places as well.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I wouldn't be completely opposed to yellow shirts for the Pirates. I've no use for red in their color scheme, however. The ketchup vests ruined their claim to red forever. Sorry, that's just how it is.

My wild Pirate idea was to have black hats, black shirts with yellow letters and white numbers, yellow pants with a black stripe, and black socks. Steelerpirates. Maybe the jersey details were taking it too far, but a little callback to the mix-n-match glory days once a year couldn't hurt.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I wouldn't be completely opposed to yellow shirts for the Pirates. I've no use for red in their color scheme, however. The ketchup vests ruined their claim to red forever. Sorry, that's just how it is.

My wild Pirate idea was to have black hats, black shirts with yellow letters and white numbers, yellow pants with a black stripe, and black socks. Steelerpirates. Maybe the jersey details were taking it too far, but a little callback to the mix-n-match glory days once a year couldn't hurt.

If I can find the time to do so--and provided I still have those digital baseball player model templates saved somewhere--I'm going to have to try to do a mock-up of that and see how it turns out.

(And, I agree with you about the ketchup vests.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It matches their black alternate jerseys, which also have a white-outlined "P".

I know it matches the black alternate jersey, which to me shows how pointless that jersey is. If a team is going to have an alternate hat to go with an alternate jersey, that hat should have major difference than the regular hat.

Hadn't noticed that color shift - great catch.

You might make the same argument about any team with a distinctive cap logo - the Dodgers, the Phillies, the A's. I'd wager that, in all those cases, baseball fans are inclined to think of the cap logo before the team's primary (I had to look up the A's just to see if they still had a primary that was different from the cap logo). I know you can't find more than a dozen baseball fans outside of Wisconsin who could tell you what the Brewers' primary is, although people recognize my cap for what it is all the time.

I'd much rather the Yankees just drop the print logo altogether - they don't need three versions of the interlocking "NY" logo, and that's both the ugliest interpretation and the only one not found on the uniform. Use the real cap logo, instead of this unbalanced, goofy version.

His point (and mine before) was that, contrary to reports, the Yankees' primary logo is used quite extensively in New York.

I presume you're talking about this logo:

1258.gif

Boston+Red+Sox+v+New+York+Yankees+9K6H21yVV0Wl.jpg

Not actually the same logo. Close, but not quite - the helmet logo is thicker and curves differently.

4460193654_d0eac16073_o.jpg

Four versions of their interlocking "NY" - I keep forgetting about the batting helmet.

The one listed in the style guides, and consequently the main site, as the "cap logo" is actually the print logo (which isn't even close).

Ice is (mostly) right - time to lose two of them. I rather like the complimentary yet distinct uniform logos (as with the Tigers, incidentally). But the print logo is just awful, the helmet logo's not much better, and both are extraneous when compared to the elegant cap and jersey logos.

Are the differences in the cap logo and the print logo at all due to the fairly recent innovation of raising the cap logo? Just thinking that adding that thickness -- not just to the Yankees cap, but all caps -- distorted not only the overall look, but also some of the details on the edges.

I love bumping a tangient...

As a Yankee fan, I actually like that there are so many variations of the NY logo. I think it furthers the mystique of the "most famous logo in sports" like its almost too elustive to pinpoint which is the definitive NY logo. Its the most famous logo in sports...and no one even knows what it really looks like! Pretty impressive to be able to pull that off.

FWIW I like the print logo the best, followed by the cap logo. The jersey logo is my least favorite and I think the Yankees agree with me because outside of the home and BP uniform you almost never see that logo used on any merchandise

So I felt this deserved a little bump... Francisco Cervelli - who wears the oversized batting helmet - has the print yankee logo on it.

fc_1.jpg

fc_2.jpg

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I actually like the Yankees' batting helmet logo the best. The bases of the letters are triangular and gives the whole logo a more balance look, I think. The jersey logo is my second favorite but it looks less balanced than the others.

The print and helmet logo are my least favorite, because of the curvy diagonal line in the N. It just looks odd to me.

The cap logo IMO is "the" Yankee logo, with the jersey logo a close second.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Okay I have been tracking the Red Sox, Astros and Nationals schedules this year based on what they wear, and thus far, Houston has NOT worn the Road Grays, except for today's game against the Braves

It was indeed the 1st time Houston busted out the road greys. We only wear them when the opponents force us to by wearing their red alts.

You should talk to your manager and suggest that you wear them more. Or talk to your fellow players and try to get them on board with the grays.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Evan Longoria and BJ Upton went with the high socks today. It actually worked well to add overall cohesion to the Rays' columbia blue jerseys, tying the navy of the socks to the navy of the hats.

They still need a hat with some more columbia blue on it. Don't know if I'd like an all columbia hat, but it needs something.

It was indeed the 1st time Houston busted out the road greys. We only wear them when the opponents force us to by wearing their red alts.

You should talk to your manager and suggest that you wear them more. Or talk to your fellow players and try to get them on board with the grays.

The Astros' manager and players have zero say in the matter. The call to wear the brick alts come from ownership. Drayton McLane likes the brick uniforms the most. And the Astros only have one set of COOLBASE jerseys: the brick road alts. They've never gotten their grey set in COOLBASE.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Evan Longoria and BJ Upton went with the high socks today. It actually worked well to add overall cohesion to the Rays' columbia blue jerseys, tying the navy of the socks to the navy of the hats.

Yeah, it does look pretty awesome: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/tam/photos#photoViewer=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2Cgetty%3A20050301%3Amlb%2Cphoto%2C25eebad7a027a35f3d5f1a5e4d0b4739-getty-97516549jm013_kansas_city_r%3A1

I really like the powder blue Rays jerseys. And is Longoria rocking light blue shoelaces in that picture?

I actually like the Yankees' batting helmet logo the best. The bases of the letters are triangular and gives the whole logo a more balance look, I think. The jersey logo is my second favorite but it looks less balanced than the others.

Along this same line, I like the Braves' helmet logo way more than their cap logo. I think the A on their cap, while it matches the A in their script, is a bit too thin. The A on their batting helmets keeps the same general look, but fattens the whole thing up, making the mark bolder and stronger.

On the side, does anyone happen to have a copy of that logo? (Not a photograph, but a .png or in vector?) I'd just like to see it on a completely 'flat' surface.

Archived