2010 MLB New Logos, Uniforms, Patches

Brian E

From MetsBlog:

The Mets need to keep the piping on the solid white/cream/whatever-they-are unis. How about they, oh, I don't know, get rid of the black alternates...

Not the cream jerseys - they're talking about removing the piping from the white primary jerseys:

pMLB2-5472426dt.jpg

Bad move, in my opinion. The only alteration those jerseys need is removing the black drop-shadow.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From MetsBlog:

The Mets need to keep the piping on the solid white/cream/whatever-they-are unis. How about they, oh, I don't know, get rid of the black alternates...

Not the cream jerseys - they're talking about removing the piping from the white primary jerseys:

pMLB2-5472426dt.jpg

Bad move, in my opinion. The only alteration those jerseys need is removing the black drop-shadow.

Downgrade if they remove the piping. It's a beautiful jersey as is, and it would look even better without the black. Still, if they drop the black, they need to drop black all together. Removing it from some jerseys and not from others would be a mistake.

The Mets need to lose the pinstripes. NY baseball and pinstripes, well that look is already spoken for. The best Mets uniform is, in my opinion, the "snow white" look, when they wear it with the traditional blue cap/orange NY hat.

As for the Yankees logo, it's just me but I think I prefer the jersey version. It seems less "flimsy" then the print and cap logos.

don't take offense to this, but that argument drives me INSANE. the mets have worn a pinstripe uniform since their inception in 1962. as a die hard mets fan, i does not bother me in the slightest that the yankees have pinstripes and so do we.

here's what drives me nuts about this last round of mets buzz on new uniforms: what part of "drop the black" translates to "get rid of royal blue piping on the snow white jersey"?! i'm sorry, but is anyone looking at the mets set and saying, "god, that's incredible...except for the piping. that needs to go." no!

it's easy to figure. the mets need one consistent look that they were all the time and then one alternate jersey that isn't black. not that difficult. kill the dropshadows, hybrid and all black cap and the black uniforms. it's the mix and match-ness of it all that drives people nuts on top of the fact that the black exists.

sig2024.png

I think the Mets are just as entitled to pinstripes as the Yankees at this point. Won two championships in them, after all. Besides, there's no single claim to pinstripes in Chicago, and both teams in Los Angeles go without them. I don't think anyone has ever confused a Yankee for a Met.

The only thing about the classic Mets look that I don't get is the road script. The Tuscan lettering is the only element without any clear NY baseball antecedent. Dodger blue, Giant orange, Giants monogram, Dodger-ish cursive (reaching), Yankee pinstripes, Red Sox "New York"? I seem to remember Gothamite explaining this to me, that the Giants used that common lettering style at one point, but if you want to make that aspect a conscious nod to the Giants, why not just use the same script they used before they left, like you did with their hat? I'd prefer it matched the nickname instead of being its own little island.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

pMLB2-6992059dt.jpg

Oh yeah, that's not gaudy at all.

Its not quite as gaudy as the 26 World Series Patches letterman's jacket that I've seen people wear to games.(Haven't seen anyone with the new 27th patch yet) Now THAT's gaudy. Say what you will about how great the team is, I'm not making any comments about that...just making a comment on the look of the jacket which is downright ugly IMO.

Downgrade if they remove the piping. It's a beautiful jersey as is, and it would look even better without the black. Still, if they drop the black, they need to drop black all together. Removing it from some jerseys and not from others would be a mistake.

If they remove the blue piping, they'll look a lot like the Dodgers -- blue script in front on a plain white jersey, possibly with a solid blue hat.

There's really no team in sports like the Mets. It's like they want to do every single thing to their uniforms they can think of EXCEPT make them look good. Ever since they started messing with their look in the 90s, it's been all downhill. It seems like 1986 was the height of their popularity and success. Why not just go back to that?

I think the Mets are just as entitled to pinstripes as the Yankees at this point. Won two championships in them, after all. Besides, there's no single claim to pinstripes in Chicago, and both teams in Los Angeles go without them. I don't think anyone has ever confused a Yankee for a Met.

The only thing about the classic Mets look that I don't get is the road script. The Tuscan lettering is the only element without any clear NY baseball antecedent. Dodger blue, Giant orange, Giants monogram, Dodger-ish cursive (reaching), Yankee pinstripes, Red Sox "New York"? I seem to remember Gothamite explaining this to me, that the Giants used that common lettering style at one point, but if you want to make that aspect a conscious nod to the Giants, why not just use the same script they used before they left, like you did with their hat? I'd prefer it matched the nickname instead of being its own little island.

I'm pretty sure that throughout history, many teams used a Tuscanish style of lettering, going all the way back to the early days. I doubt that at the time there was any serious thought to it. It was probably like "ok, we need a jersey that says New York. Block looks exactly like the Yankees, give me another baseball-looking font. Tuscan, we have a winner" or something like that. I'm sure I've seen pics of old Pirates, and other teams with a similar font. If the argument is that it doesn't tie in with anything else in their package, then yeah, that's legit. But it's the least of their problems imo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Right, they've gotta get back to blue and orange first.

7229_430_87DGOOD_W.jpg

I must be the only person in the world who thinks they should use that script.

The Mets need to lose the pinstripes. NY baseball and pinstripes, well that look is already spoken for. The best Mets uniform is, in my opinion, the "snow white" look, when they wear it with the traditional blue cap/orange NY hat.

As for the Yankees logo, it's just me but I think I prefer the jersey version. It seems less "flimsy" then the print and cap logos.

don't take offense to this, but that argument drives me INSANE. the mets have worn a pinstripe uniform since their inception in 1962. as a die hard mets fan, i does not bother me in the slightest that the yankees have pinstripes and so do we.

I completely agree with this... In LA, you have the same situation: The Dodgers were here first and have never worn pinstripes. But then neither do the Angels. Yet I'd never confuse the Dodgers and Angels just because both lack pinstripes.

The Mets have an identity distinctive enough that I could never possibly confuse them for the Yankees, Twins, pre-2007 D-Backs or any other team that wears pinstripes.

Right, they've gotta get back to blue and orange first.

7229_430_87DGOOD_W.jpg

I must be the only person in the world who thinks they should use that script.

No, you're not. That script is bad-ass, and actually matches the Mets script on the home jersey.

I remember when they came out with that. 87 I think. It looked so odd, because I was used to just "Mets" on the roads. Had they stuck with it longer, at least 'till when they switched to button-downs, it could have become a classic. On an uncluttered jersey sans racing stripes, it'd work fine.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Hey, hey now, no need to start speaking ill of racing stripes. At least, those of the not-in-your-shorts variety.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think they kept them but took the F-n-fish off the sleeve so there's not a Florida reference. It's still on the hats, though, so what's the point? Dumb.

The cap logo's edges are sharp.

200px-NewYorkYankees_caplogo.svg.png

It's only when subjected to New Era's puff embroidery that they're rounded off.

Fair enough. My point is that the primary version of the logo you most often see is the rounded embroidered version on the Yankee hat and when you see it with sharp edges and outlines it just looks wrong.

Phils and Astros in the 65 throwbacks tonight. Both teams look fantastic. No pics yet.

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Archived