2010 MLB New Logos, Uniforms, Patches

Brian E

Agreed. They could be neon pink with bright yellow lettering and I'd still take 'em over the black.

Now you know you need to quit bull$#!+tin... :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hadn't noticed that color shift - great catch.

You might make the same argument about any team with a distinctive cap logo - the Dodgers, the Phillies, the A's. I'd wager that, in all those cases, baseball fans are inclined to think of the cap logo before the team's primary (I had to look up the A's just to see if they still had a primary that was different from the cap logo). I know you can't find more than a dozen baseball fans outside of Wisconsin who could tell you what the Brewers' primary is, although people recognize my cap for what it is all the time.

I'd much rather the Yankees just drop the print logo altogether - they don't need three versions of the interlocking "NY" logo, and that's both the ugliest interpretation and the only one not found on the uniform. Use the real cap logo, instead of this unbalanced, goofy version.

His point (and mine before) was that, contrary to reports, the Yankees' primary logo is used quite extensively in New York.

I presume you're talking about this logo:

1258.gif

Boston+Red+Sox+v+New+York+Yankees+9K6H21yVV0Wl.jpg

Not actually the same logo. Close, but not quite - the helmet logo is thicker and curves differently.

4460193654_d0eac16073_o.jpg

Four versions of their interlocking "NY" - I keep forgetting about the batting helmet.

The one listed in the style guides, and consequently the main site, as the "cap logo" is actually the print logo (which isn't even close).

Ice is (mostly) right - time to lose two of them. I rather like the complimentary yet distinct uniform logos (as with the Tigers, incidentally). But the print logo is just awful, the helmet logo's not much better, and both are extraneous when compared to the elegant cap and jersey logos.

Are the differences in the cap logo and the print logo at all due to the fairly recent innovation of raising the cap logo? Just thinking that adding that thickness -- not just to the Yankees cap, but all caps -- distorted not only the overall look, but also some of the details on the edges.

I love bumping a tangient...

As a Yankee fan, I actually like that there are so many variations of the NY logo. I think it furthers the mystique of the "most famous logo in sports" like its almost too elustive to pinpoint which is the definitive NY logo. Its the most famous logo in sports...and no one even knows what it really looks like! Pretty impressive to be able to pull that off.

FWIW I like the print logo the best, followed by the cap logo. The jersey logo is my least favorite and I think the Yankees agree with me because outside of the home and BP uniform you almost never see that logo used on any merchandise

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I don't know if I'd call the Yankees "NY" the most famous logo in sports. Sure it's up there, maybe it's even the most popular in the USA, but I don't think it's popularity would match that of the logos in use by some of the most famous football clubs around the world, such as Chivas, Manchester United, etc.

I don't know if I'd call the Yankees "NY" the most famous logo in sports. Sure it's up there, maybe it's even the most popular in the USA, but I don't think it's popularity would match that of the logos in use by some of the most famous football clubs around the world, such as Chivas, Manchester United, etc.

Surely it's the most famous in North America. Perhaps, too, in even South America. But I think Man U, or some other football club, has to be more recognizable on a worldwide scale.

some grumblings around the Mets blogosphere that the team has a direction for the uniforms in the future. whether it's speculation or news (the former seems more likely) isn't clear, but it should be interesting nonetheless.

sig2024.png

FWIW I like the print logo the best, followed by the cap logo. The jersey logo is my least favorite and I think the Yankees agree with me because outside of the home and BP uniform you almost never see that logo used on any merchandise

Really?

pMLB2-6619831dt.jpgpMLB2-6869719dt.jpgpMLB2-2973780dt.jpgpMLB2-6940524dt.jpgpMLB2-6783328dt.jpgpMLB2-5209590dt.jpg

I'll grant you that the print logo is much more common on merchandise, but not surprising - that's what it's for.

Can you buy those Nike undershirts that a lot of players have now? I saw some new Nike stuff on MLB.com, some Ts and some Dri-fit, but they didn't appear to be the same as the on-field undershirts.

yes you can. and they are on MLB Shop. for example:

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3958224&cp=1452359.1452832.1665575

Ah, ok, they don't have them for every team which is why I didn't something like what you posted. Thanks.

1zgyd8w.jpg

some grumblings around the Mets blogosphere that the team has a direction for the uniforms in the future. whether it's speculation or news (the former seems more likely) isn't clear, but it should be interesting nonetheless.

Got a link to this?

From MetsBlog:

I was able to confirm an e-mail I got yesterday ? I believe he also e-mailed Shannon at Mets Police ? saying the Mets will be keeping the black uniforms next season, and might look to ditch the blue stripe running along the collar and down the center.

So, I?m thinking something similar to what I put in this image ? but not creame, and not with Mr. Met on the arm.

3830273091_892c450436_o.gif

I hope this is the case. I think that?d be pretty cool, especially if they keep the stripe on the pants and use the blue hat.

From MetsBlog:

The Mets need to keep the piping on the solid white/cream/whatever-they-are unis. How about they, oh, I don't know, get rid of the black alternates...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Mets need to lose the pinstripes. NY baseball and pinstripes, well that look is already spoken for. The best Mets uniform is, in my opinion, the "snow white" look, when they wear it with the traditional blue cap/orange NY hat.

As for the Yankees logo, it's just me but I think I prefer the jersey version. It seems less "flimsy" then the print and cap logos.

Archived