NFL Pants We Never See

dennisbergan

Although this is off topic with my original post (it was just about pants and not complete uniforms some would like to see), I have no idea why the Eagles haven't busted out the all green look recently.

That all green would work perfectly, with helmet, jersey and pants all matching and the socks and shoes both matching as well.

With the "Going Green" promo the Eagles did last year, they should have gone this route for that game. It would definitly work.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Steelers should definitely phase their white throwback pants into their regular set. Maybe for just away games, but those pants are pretty sweet. Still pretty traditional (it is a throwback), but doesn't really take away from their mystique. Especially since the early 70's Steelers used to wear white pants too.

Although this is off topic with my original post (it was just about pants and not complete uniforms some would like to see), I have no idea why the Eagles haven't busted out the all green look recently.

That all green would work perfectly, with helmet, jersey and pants all matching and the socks and shoes both matching as well.

With the "Going Green" promo the Eagles did last year, they should have gone this route for that game. It would definitly work.

Good God... what a horrific thought.

Eagles haven't gone all green since the uniform was updated in '03. It's a shame too, because I also think it'd be a great look - way better than their green-black-green look that they've used. I wouldn't want to see it every game, but once in a while it'd be fun. They used to go all green for the last regular-season home game during the last few years at the Vet, and even with the lousy pants they used to have, I thought it looked good.

Only photos I could find of one of these games. Two of them kind of show the horrible pants with the single black stripe (I don't even think it was a woven stripe, like we've been talking about with the Browns - I think it was the same material as the rest of the pants, just a separate panel.) Note - when those pants were first introduced, they actually had a big Eagle head on the hip, to compensate for the lack of logo on the original white jersey. The logo was added to the jersey in '97, and also stripped from the pants. Funny, though, that they rarely actually wore these horrible pants - IIRC, with the exception of the monochrome games, they were only worn when they wore the white jerseys at night. They went white on white the vast majority of the time.

F1489988.jpg81448863.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934B869679A269F9CC757A90A9D85F74CD26FD13ED7B73D4BC

81416831.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934B869679A269F9CCDF36207B7AEA29CF26FD13ED7B73D4BC

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Saints have yet to wear their black pants this year. They're wearing the gold pants with both the white and black jerseys. I like the gold pants better with both sets.

Good to hear. The black pants look was never a good one for the Saints.

Actually, the Saints' black pants in the 1970s and '80s that had striping didn't look bad. I'd prefer black pants with the white jerseys if they could find a striping pattern for the black pants that works. I'm just not a fan of the white jerseys-gold pants look because every color in the helmet-jersey-pants set is light. While I appreciate the aesthetic symmetry, it's too bland for me.

I didn't mind the last set of black pants that had a single, bold gold stripe. The solid black look, IMO, just doesn't cut it. So no black pants for the Saints until they learn to use them properly :P

As for the Panthers and wearing the white pants with the blue jerseys, I wouldn't like that because the helmets are silver. There's a symmetry there that works.

Actually I find the white Panthers pants to be redundant, as they're not that much different from the silver set. I would like to see them use the silver set all the way through.

And I agree with the earlier premise that it makes no sense to overhaul your look and disregard one of the features of the original re-design. That's another thing that bugged me about the Broncos overhaul in '98. IIRC, they introduced blue pants with white jerseys when they were revealed, yet we never saw blue pants with the white jerseys. The only time we see blue pants is a monochrome game.

I think it's just about keeping options on the table. I say better to have to much then not enough. Yeah, the Vikings may not wear their purple pants with the white jerseys, but the option is there should they ever want to. And that's better then wanting to but not having the option.

Of course, when you let Nike (which made NFL uniforms when the Broncos came out with the new set in '98) re-design your uniforms and your illogical side panel is dependant upon a similar side panel on the pants and both have to match, your uniforms are going to suck. That's why so many Nike uniforms suck. And it's ludicrous that the Broncos need two pairs of white pants because they screwed up the jersey execution.

I agree. Make the orange alternates the primary home jerseys and solve the problem. Then you only need one pair of white pants, the ones with the blue stripe.

I'd like to see the Vikings and Cards use dark pants with the white jerseys. White jerseys and pants together are a bland look and only a few teams look better with it (the Bears come to mind).

I find myself agreeing. I tend not like all one colour looks, even all white.

Ravens--Dare I say, purple tops with black bottoms?

You mean like this?:

12lvhou.jpg

I love that look. All they needed was this logo on the helmets and they would have been perfect.

I miss the Bledsoe/Parcells era look.

Me too. It's my favourite Pats look.

Ravens--Dare I say, purple tops with black bottoms?

You mean like this?:

12lvhou.jpg

OH BOY! thats a HUGE white stripe! I almost forgot they wore those. I think what they have now for black pants would suit them better.

That's still my favorite Ravens jersey - the one-year wonder. For '97, they went with the current, narrower, drop-shadowed numbers, and adopted the white pants for the purple jerseys, and black pants with a white-purple-white stripe for the white jersey. To my knowledge, that version of the black pants was never paired with the purple jersey, which is a shame, because in my mind's eye, that look is incredible.

I would be all for the Ravens' all-black look, if they made a couple of adjustments:

1. Add two tapered, purple stripes to the pants, to mimic the helmet.

2. Either go with a striped sock, or a solid white one. I like the monochrome look when it's done well, but I can't stand the leotard look.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Here's my wishlist (there'll be repeats):

Ravens - Purple jersey, black pants

Texans - Red jersey, blue pants

Titans - Light blue jersey, white pants (it just seems so basic and logical)

Bills and Seahawks - white jerseys, blue pants

Browns - all brown (just curious)

Falcons - Red jersey, black pants (more often)

Carolina - Black jersey, white pants

Dolphins - Orange jerseys, aqua pants (forget if they've done that before)

Pants I wish would be invented:

Steelers - black pants with a yellow stripe to go with the away jersey

Panthers - black pants to go with the blue jerseys

Colts - Blue pants like from 1994

Broncos - Blue pants that could go with the road jersey

Eagles - Charcoal pants

Raiders - black pants

Chargers in all blue or all white, as you mentioned. also, i think san diego could use light blue pants!

As a Charger fan, I never want to see all blue or light blue pants. I would even ditch the navy pants. They either need to go all white or wear yellow pants with the white jersey. What I think they should do at the minimum is if they are wearing white jerseys at home, they should wear white pants with them to look different than when they're on the road.

Just dropping by to say I hate the Ravens' number style. So late '90s. So many awful '90s uniforms use some variation on those numbers (Atlanta Hawks, Warriors, Wizards, Diamondbacks, Thrashers, that Mariners alternate they never wear). And they're paired with single-color plain athletic block letters, which looks like such a cheap cop-out. There's got to be a better way, but I bet they get another five years out of these because the 2000 team wore them. Normally I'm in favor of maintaining a championship team's image, but man. Those stupid numbers.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The purple/black combo the Ravens had originally was hideous. One of the worst football uniforms I have ever seen. It should never ever see the light of day again.

That was my thought throughout their first season. The look has grown on me slightly over the years, but I would still prefer that they stay away from it. I think the current purple jersey/white pants combo is quite sharp. I also prefer the all white road look, which they still use in the preseason, over the white jersey/black pants combo.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The purple/black combo the Ravens had originally was hideous. One of the worst football uniforms I have ever seen. It should never ever see the light of day again.

I remember the press conference when they unveiled those uniforms. The crowd reaction was pretty underwhelming, and you could see people looking around with 'WTF?' looks on their faces. Not that the colors or logo were bad, just how they put them together. The pants being darker than the jersey was a real eyesore, as they were the first NFL team to do that...but being unique doesn't always mean better.

The next year they dropped the black pants with the purple jersey, and the black pants they wore with the white jersey at least had stripes on it.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

I remember the press conference when they unveiled those uniforms. The crowd reaction was pretty underwhelming, and you could see people looking around with 'WTF?' looks on their faces. Not that the colors or logo were bad, just how they put them together. The pants being darker than the jersey was a real eyesore, as they were the first NFL team to do that...but being unique doesn't always mean better.

The next year they dropped the black pants with the purple jersey, and the black pants they wore with the white jersey at least had stripes on it.

I was at that event.

I'll never forget when the MC asked Art Modell what he thought of the new uniforms and he said, "we look like Northwestern."

Our current look is great...I just wish the black pants had stripes on them to better match the white pants.

Also...like someone else said, tweaking our helmet to give it the purple sheen effect like the teal Jags look would be awesome.

I have said it before and I will say it again, Vikings in purple pants on the road. At least half the road games.

Yessir. If you're going to design your uniform so that purple pants will work with it, wear the blessed things.

(And yes, I'm in favor of going purple monochrome once a year. Tradition be damned, the Vikings actually made that look work.)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I was at that event.

I'll never forget when the MC asked Art Modell what he thought of the new uniforms and he said, "we look like Northwestern."

Our current look is great...I just wish the black pants had stripes on them to better match the white pants.

Also...like someone else said, tweaking our helmet to give it the purple sheen effect like the teal Jags look would be awesome.

I remember that quote. Ironically, at that time, Northwestern was wearing Black jerseys with Purple pants - reversed colors from the Ravens.

I was at that event.

I thought the same thing when I saw the Jags unveil their helmets for this year. The Raven helmets would look so good with a purple sheen on them. It would be appropriate too because thats exactly what happens when light is shined on a real life raven. Not that a team's colors have to exactly mimic the animal, but when it does happen and its done well it looks real good.

Archived