Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Is there any possibility of doing football-only conferences, with the "traditional" conferences remaining for the other sports? I know it's highly unlikely, but these shifts pretty well ruin college basketball.
Pretty much every conference will be like the Big East. It'll change everything about college basketball.

Except these other Conferences won't have such things as "DePaul" or give an excessive-to-the-point-of-existential-threat amount of power to the Providences and Seton Halls of the world.

I haven't been keeping up with this over the past few weeks and to go back now and read this topic it's pretty surreal. There could be some huge changes next year. As a fan of an up and coming program it's definitely interesting to see how this all plays out and if there's potential for even more upward mobility.

Unfortunately, your up and coming program sacked its coach. (For decent reason, although things would not have come to a head had South Florida actually won big games in October for once) Past history indicates that up and coming programs who fire/force out coaches for stalling out over a couple of years tend to plummet back down into the nethers from whence they came. We like to call this the "Indiana Trajectory".

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Does anyone else feel like this is like a war? 3 dominant "empires" trying to capture other countries and leaving the survivors to fight for their own. Haha this just feels like WWIII for College sports. Sort of Depressing actually

This is a giant game of risk.

That's exactly what I was thinking but couldn't think of the term. I would actually play that- NCAA Conference Expansion Risk.

Does anyone else feel like this is like a war? 3 dominant "empires" trying to capture other countries and leaving the survivors to fight for their own. Haha this just feels like WWIII for College sports. Sort of Depressing actually

This is a giant game of risk.

That's exactly what I was thinking but couldn't think of the term. I would actually play that- NCAA Conference Expansion Risk.

I'm going to invade Nebraska from Iowa with 5 armies.

:P

VmWIn6B.png

If the Pac-10 does succeed in getting Texas and Oklahoma, I think the SEC will have to expand by at least two teams, if not the 16 that the Pac-10 and Big Ten are aiming for.

Looking at the schools that would be "available" for expanding, the most likely candidates could include Miami, Florida State, Clemson, Kansas.....and Notre Dame.

This is an arms race, and Notre Dame is the biggest fish out there. The SEC is adept at making decisions that have greatly benefitted the league. The SEC would love to gain Notre Dame, it's nationwide fanbase, and expose the league's product on another network. Can you imagine the SEC owning NBC, CBS, and getting the biggest contract ABC/ESPN will offer any conference?

Since Notre Dame likes to exult in their "standards" somehow I doubt they would be willing to play in the SEC for similar reasons to Georgia Tech's. I could see the Irish attempting to join the ACC-Big East confederation if it seriously looks like college musical chairs is going to stop with 64 Superconference teams and they turn down the Big Ten, but I don't think the culture fit is there for the SEC.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Nebraska first....

Mizzou and Texas next....

Colorado even?....

To put it lightly, the Big XII is :censored:ED.

I wonder where Baylor, ISU, Kansas, and Kansas State would do next if that happens?

The most logical option would be that the Mountain West adds those 4 plus Boise State to hit 14 teams and becom the de facto replacement in the BCS for the Big XII

Speaking as a BYU fan, it would be nice to see the MWC pick up Boise State, Mizzou, Kansas, K-State, and Baylor--definitely better than having those schools go to the Big East. But who knows what will happen before the dust settles.

During the whole process, the nightmare scenario for me would have been CU and Utah to the Pac 10, and someone besides BYU added to the Big XII, but it looks like the Big XII is imploding, so what's likely to happen now is not looking so bad.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Huh. Some combination of the best of the ACC and the best of the Big East could create a megaconference that could compete with an expanded Pac 16, Big 16, and SEC, uh, 16.

I don't want to get into REEL LINE MINT, but Louisville, Syracuse, UConn and Pitt might find themselves well taken care of in the new collegiate sports landscape after all.

Of course, again, college basketball is ruined, but then it doesn't make the same amount of money football does, does it?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Amazing how the timing comes at the same time as this...

Source: USC football gets 2-year ban

I'm not quite buying it yet, but imagine what happens to a depleted USC team when their first year of bowl eligibility has them having to compete in-conference with the Longhorns and the Sooners. To quote the great Keith Jackson, "Wooooooaaaaaaah Nelly!"

VmWIn6B.png

Now, let me get this straight: The Big Ten, which actually has 11 teams, is about to go to 12 teams; while the Big XII is apparently about to go down to 11, and possibly all the way down to five... go figure.

I wonder if there's any chance of the Big XII (or Twelve, or 12) name being transferred to the Big Ten once this all goes down. After all, keeping the "Big Ten" name just for tradition's sake makes no sense anymore now that the entire college football landscape is being blown up and rearranged. Besides, it's a lot harder to make a "2" out of the spaces between letters in the Big Ten logo than a "1". :D

CCSLC signature.png

The chance that the Big Ten adds Nebraska and stops is 0%. The Big Ten might have gone to 12 if Notre Dame was #12. But with Nebraska coming on board, it's a guarantee that the Big Ten goes to at least 14 and probably 16.

I think it'd be silly for the Big Ten to bother changing their name (but I also get that it's silly for a 16-team conference to be called the Big Ten).

The MWC is just waiting things out. Boise State will eventually be added as the 10th member. No offense to Colorado but I think the Pac-10 should take Baylor instead of the Buffaloes. I know the expansion is all about football but Baylor has a better overall athletic department than Colorado does.

I'm wrong. Colorado would be a way better for the Pac-10 than Baylor.

IF LIFE THROWS YOU A LEMON.............KICK IT'S :censored:ING ASS!

I believe we could see conferences like the MAC, Sun Belt, and C-USA take a voluntary relegation to FCS (I-AA) when all is said and done...

No. There's still more prestige and money for them at this level, even if they are effectively shut out of the championship hunt.

Today, we are all otaku.

Colorado's moving to the Pac 10. I'm guessing that the Big XII's days are numbered now.

What was everybody's favorite Big XII memory? Here's mine: When Nebraska qualified for the BCS National Championship...despite not even making the conference championship game. That was awesome.