Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

4 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

At this point, it would be the smart decision...let's see, do I want to try my luck for my 2nd bowl game in 60 years or be a national championship playoff contender?

There's no guarantee they would even do that. Idaho currently has a losing record since moving down to FCS and they won nine games their final season in FBS. Being a bad FBS still (generally) puts you above the best FCS teams in terms of status. It's a lot like being a bad SEC team vs. being the best Sun Belt or C-USA or even AAC team.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MBurmy said:

At this point, it would be the smart decision...let's see, do I want to try my luck for my 2nd bowl game in 60 years or be a national championship playoff contender?

There are additional political reasons for maintaining FBS membership.  For one thing, the state legislators 4 hours away in Santa Fe understand "D1 FBS" better than "Carnegie R2" and "Land Grant" when it comes time to argue that NMSU should get more state aid than the directional New Mexico schools and at least stay in sight of UNM's funding.

• Like 2
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

6 hours ago, rams80 said:

There are additional political reasons for maintaining FBS membership.  For one thing, the state legislators 4 hours away in Santa Fe understand "D1 FBS" better than "Carnegie R2" and "Land Grant" when it comes time to argue that NMSU should get more state aid than the directional New Mexico schools and at least stay in sight of UNM's funding.

Well, UNM and NMSU are the only two D1 schools in New Mexico...

bYhYmxh.png

Yes.  The point is that the other ways in which NMSU stands out from the rest of New Mexico's higher ed set up don't always register with legislators, especially since Las Cruces is so far away from the seats of power in the state.

• Like 2
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 1 month later...

As UConn's Big East move looms, meaning FBS Independent status in 2020 and beyond, an idea popped into my mind...what if the Big East ever returned to sponsoring football, only as an FCS conference this time around?

Villanova, Georgetown and Butler already play FCS football (though the latter two don't offer scholarships, which I assume is the major roadblock)

bYhYmxh.png

43 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

As UConn's Big East move looms, meaning FBS Independent status in 2020 and beyond, an idea popped into my mind...what if the Big East ever returned to sponsoring football, only as an FCS conference this time around?

Villanova, Georgetown and Butler already play FCS football (though the latter two don't offer scholarships, which I assume is the major roadblock)

Georgetown plays on campus at Cooper Field, which is nowhere near standard and is the lowest capacity in Division 1. There's likely little to no interest in seeing those games on TV. The media rights would be close to nothing.

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

"ASUN Announces Exploration of Expansion & Building New NCAA Division I Multisport Conference"

https://asunsports.org/general/2019-20/releases/20200122lh6utq

This here sounds like some stuff from Sports Fan Fiction.

My head hurts.

• Like 2

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

18 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

"ASUN Announces Exploration of Expansion & Building New NCAA Division I Multisport Conference"

This is some underpants gnomes level insanity.

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

After reading this on the conference's website, I'm kind of glad this is one scenario they have planned... because this is some insane logic they have. How in the hell are they going to find 10 other schools to join this scheme???

2 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

So ASUN is exploring the possibility of creating a new conference via expansion, but with it's current members in tact?  Is that what it says?

I'm just going to go step by step here:

The chronological steps in this plan are:
a)  ASUN Conference expands to 20 members (by June, 2023)

Ambitious, but ok

b)  The ASUN transfers rights to the ASUN name and marks to the CCSA

Why?

The ASUN was headquartered in Macon, GA from 1992 until July 2019, when the conference offices moved to Atlanta. The CCSA is headquartered in Macon... in the old ASUN offices. Ted Gumbart, the president of the CCSA, is also the commissioner of the ASUN. Dennis Thomas, the vice president of the CCSA, is the commissioner of the MEAC. Kyle Kallander, secretary of the CCSA, is the commissioner of the Big South. There are other overlaps between CCSA staff positions and other conferences, but this is rather common for administrative overlap in these specialty-sport conferences.

The CCSA is a swimming and diving conference that's been around since 2008. It has 24 member schools - which is a lot - but these separate, specialty-sport conferences for non-revenue-generating Olympic sports (swimming & diving, rifle, gymnastics, rowing) aren't unusual when a school's primary conference doesn't sponsor that sport and the sport can usually be performed in a multiple-day event. The CCSA sponsors beach volleyball, and men's/women's swimming & diving.

All these connections are interesting, but this still doesn't answer... why?

c)  The ASUN 7 join the CCSA (July 1, 2023)

By the "ASUN 7," they only mean the current 7 full members of the ASUN (Stetson, Jacksonville, Lipscomb, Kennesaw State, North Florida, FGCU, and NJIT).

d)  The CCSA adopts the ASUN name as a multisport conference

So the "New ASUN" is just the "Old ASUN" without the old affiliate members, and with the multiple beach volleyball/swimming & diving CCSA schools?

e)  The remaining ASUN members adopt the name United Athletic Conference

So the schools that aren't the "ASUN 7" but join between now and June 2023 get to be their own conference now? Are we playing NCAA conference mitosis?

I'm not really sure what the end game is here. This "Glossary of Terms" mentions that "The United Athletic Conference" will sponsor scholarship FCS football. The ASUN does not currently sponsor FCS football. Essentially this is some kind of backdoor scheme to create a new NCAA D1 conference by expanding and then staging a peaceful coup of a smaller specialty-sport conference... but what does the ASUN gain from this? What do current ASUN members gain from this? I'm sure there's something big I'm missing, but as of right now this doesn't really make any kind of sense.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Just spitballing, but maybe the advantage they see is getting away from Liberty because of, well everything about their institution, and also because Liberty is running roughshod in league play over the conference they only joined as a halfway house after the Big South told them to GTFO when they went FBS.

Today, we are all otaku.

8 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Just spitballing, but maybe the advantage they see is getting away from Liberty because of, well everything about their institution, and also because Liberty is running roughshod in league play over the conference they only joined as a halfway house after the Big South told them to GTFO when they went FBS.

That's an awfully drastic move to move away from one member - you have to think there'd be an easier way. I have no access to the ASUN bylaws, but I'd almost guarantee there's a process for terminating membership.

Perhaps, but just kicking Liberty out costs you those 2 units of NCAA tournament money they got last year.

Today, we are all otaku.

4 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

That's an awfully drastic move to move away from one member - you have to think there'd be an easier way. I have no access to the ASUN bylaws, but I'd almost guarantee there's a process for terminating membership.

What @rams80 mentioned... but there's also the chance that Liberty would raise all sorts of political hell if and when they found out about this scheme to basically throw the school under the proverbial bus. They made noise by calling out C-USA and the Sun Belt for not letting them in at the FBS level.. so they can definitely cause a ruckus if the ASUN threw them out.

This also leaves North Alabama and Bellarmine out in the open as well.

17 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

What @rams80 mentioned... but there's also the chance that Liberty would raise all sorts of political hell if and when they found out about this scheme to basically throw the school under the proverbial bus. They made noise by calling out C-USA and the Sun Belt for not letting them in at the FBS level.. so they can definitely cause a ruckus if the ASUN threw them out.

This also leaves North Alabama and Bellarmine out in the open as well.

...which totally wouldn't turn off any potential conference suitors any more than they already are.

Liberty has more money than Davy Crockett, a great campus, excellent athletic facilities, and (due to the specific circle it appeals to) isn't going to see declining on-campus enrollment anytime soon. There's a reason they're not in the C-USA, Sun Belt, or even the MAC. Becoming the Antonio Brown of conference realignment isn't going to help them.

Even with all that, I don't think this is about Liberty. The ASUN seems to be willing to take anyone who will come.

Maybe faculty senates raised a bigger stink at other schools than their administrators anticipated.

Today, we are all otaku.

Here is what the Big Ten Conference would look like for the future

East

Indiana

Maryland

Michigan

Michigan State

Ohio State

Penn State

Rutgers

West

Illinois

Indiana State