Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

2 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

IIRC, that's the second HBCU to leave the MEAC for the Big South in the recent conference shuffle (after Hampton)...I wonder if it's gonna become a trend now?

bYhYmxh.png

10 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

IIRC, that's the second HBCU to leave the MEAC for the Big South in the recent conference shuffle (after Hampton)...I wonder if it's gonna become a trend now?

Unlikely

Hampton has the third largest endowment and NC A&T is sixth among HBCUs.  NC A&T also has the largest enrollment on HBCUs, is growing, and seems to have the most support from the NC Legislature. NC A&T has also been touting cost savings since most Big South opponents would be a 4 or less hour bus ride. 

Plus, South Carolina State may close due to small enrollment (they are under 1,000) and Bethune-Cookman is in accreditation jeopardy. MEAC may just go down to eight via attrition.

Big South has better brand awareness, accepts football tournament bids and has better football overall.

• Like 4
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I’m in Asheville and last night I went to see UNC-Asheville play SC Upstate, a Big South matchup. I’ve seen a bunch of banners around town for the conference tournament being played at the downtown arena.

Well as it turns out! The tournament being played is the SoCon, not the Big South! It lead me to what has to be the weirdest conference tournament setup, where the Big South has teams travel to the higher seed on off days to play a conference tournament. What a weird deal.

On 2/7/2020 at 3:36 PM, raysox said:

Well as it turns out! The tournament being played is the SoCon, not the Big South! It lead me to what has to be the weirdest conference tournament setup, where the Big South has teams travel to the higher seed on off days to play a conference tournament. What a weird deal.

The Patriot League tournament works the same way.  The entire tournament is played on the home courts of the higher seeds.  It works more like a single elimination playoff system like the NFL than a traditional "tournament".

What you get out of it is:

1.  A reward beyond just seeding for your regular season finish.

2.  A guaranteed enthusiastic crowd for the games . . . particularly as the tournament progresses.  No student is going to miss out on a conference final played five minutes from their dorm.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 2/7/2020 at 3:36 PM, raysox said:

I’m in Asheville and last night I went to see UNC-Asheville play SC Upstate, a Big South matchup. I’ve seen a bunch of banners around town for the conference tournament being played at the downtown arena.

That's how the Big South has mostly done it since I was a student at Winthrop - except for 2013-15, when they moved the whole tournament to Coastal Carolina's (booooooo!) new gym and tried to make it a "visit Myrtle Beach in early March!" vacation. Under the campus sites format, the first rounds would be at the better-seeded team's home court, both semifinal games at the #1 seed's home gym, and conference finals at the best remaining seed's home court. It could cause some travel issues, but I always liked it because Winthrop frequently earned hosting privileges.

2020 is the last year for the foreseeable future that the Big South will do it this way - next year, the entire tournament moves to Bojangles Coliseum in Charlotte.

• Like 1

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Boise State and MWC are back at square one.

The Mountain West Board of Directors has quietly voted to rescind a decision that would end Boise State’s additional slice of revenue from the conference’s TV contract, several sources told the Union-Tribune.

In exchange, Boise State will drop a legal complaint filed last month against the conference and agree to terms of the new TV contract that begins this summer.

Essentially, the two sides are back to square one.

Boise State claims its special “carve-out” for broadcast rights to home football games, granted in 2012 as incentive to return to the Mountain West after nearly leaving for the Big East, has no expiration date and is warranted as the conference’s marquee football program. The Mountain West’s other 11 football members want TV money to be distributed evenly no matter a program’s record or pedigree, as it is in most other conferences.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 7:47 PM, Seadragon76 said:

I find it odd that the two better known schools in the MEAC are leaving for greener pastures (so to speak).

I wonder what the expansion plan is for the MEAC. The only remaining HBCUs that they could add are in D2. I find it unlikely that Tennessee State would leave the OVC for the MEAC. Nor do I think any SWAC school would jump ship. D2 is pretty much the only place to go. Further, Kentucky State is planning on moving up to D1 and have been eyeing the OVC. I wonder what they would do if the MEAC were to make them an offer. 

42 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I wonder what the expansion plan is for the MEAC. The only remaining HBCUs that they could add are in D2. I find it unlikely that Tennessee State would leave the OVC for the MEAC. Nor do I think any SWAC school would jump ship. D2 is pretty much the only place to go. Further, Kentucky State is planning on moving up to D1 and have been eyeing the OVC. I wonder what they would do if the MEAC were to make them an offer. 

I still think Kentucky State shouldn't make that jump because it is so expensive to make the leap from D-II to D-I and the two of the last three HBCU's to make that leap have fallen back to D-II (The other is Morris Brown, who had to fold their sports teams after getting busted for embezzlement)

It's just WAY too dangerous for any HBCU to make the leap from D-II to D-I. Hell, I would think it's easier for an HBCU that's at the NAIA level (like Edward Waters) to go to D-II (Case in point...)

1 hour ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

The travel costs alone would crush an already tenuous budget in a school with a total enrollment of under 2,500.  They would be 450 miles to the closest member school.  Maryland-Eastern Shore and Daytona Beach are 680 and 830 miles away respectively

• 2 weeks later...

New USC AD Mike Bohn, "Everything is on the table."

New USC athletic director Mike Bohn recently joined the Peristyle Podcast and talked about the competitive disadvantage Pac-12 teams are facing.

"We all know that the Pac-12 media rights deal has not met our expectations and we are falling drastically behind," Bohn said. "Just from 2018 numbers, we're $11 million per year, per institution, shy of the average remaining four Power Five conferences. So that's a gap that is a serious competitive disadvantage for us.

"This is something that we really have to spend a lot more time on and ensure that we can find some solutions because we are closer to the American Athletic Conference in the distributions than we are to the SEC and Big Ten.

"I know Larry Scott and his team are committed to try and find those solutions for us."

We asked Bohn if he would consider going independent or joining another conference in order to keep USC among the best college football programs in the country.

"I think right now, and Larry would agree with this, everything is on the table," he said.

Also note that even with their third highest fundraising year, UCLA Athletics still ran a $18.9M deficit

• 2 months later...

So Long Island University announced that they're adding D1 men's hockey to go with their brand spanking new women's team that debuted in 2019-20. The press release said they'd start competition in 2020-21. Problem is... they don't have a coach, they don't have a lease for a rink, they don't have a club team to draw players from to help with the transition.

The two most recent additions to NCAA D1 hockey (Penn State and Arizona State) both played a transitional season with their top club players, transfers, and D1 level recruits before playing a full D1 schedule. Illinois will likely follow this route when they eventually announce. If Navy ever does transition, they'll go this route. LIU seems to be incredibly naive in this move.

The recruitment questionnaire says 2021-22 but last I checked the press release on the school's athletics website still says 2020-21. Schedules are 98% set for D1 so good luck filling a full schedule. If they are planning a transitional year, good for them but nothing on their website or any media coverage mentions that. Also, the release said a national search would be done for a head coach then the next day the AD said they already had a handful of top candidates. How are you going to get a decent coach with no rink and not a ton of funding.

It seems they looked at the costs of their women's team and figured they could run a successful men's team for the same amount. Supposedly the total coaching budget, for a head and two assistants, is on $150k. The HC will almost certainly have to make less than $100k and there are assistants who will make more than that. If they want  to be successful, they'll need more money allocated and fast.

• Like 1

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, oz615 said:

Well it's starting to look like a trend,as Florida A&M is heading to the SWAC

https://www.vicksburgpost.com/2020/06/04/swac-adds-florida-am-as-11th-member/

Except the SWAC is also an HBCU conference...so this is more of a lateral move.

Wonder if Bethune-Cookman's gonna follow suit soon? (after all, they're FAMU's in-state rivals and their nearest conference opponent will now be 340 miles away)

bYhYmxh.png

15 minutes ago, MBurmy said:
59 minutes ago, oz615 said:

Well it's starting to look like a trend,as Florida A&M is heading to the SWAC

https://www.vicksburgpost.com/2020/06/04/swac-adds-florida-am-as-11th-member/

Except the SWAC is also an HBCU conference...so this is more of a lateral move.

Wonder if Bethune-Cookman's gonna follow suit soon? (after all, they're FAMU's in-state rivals and their nearest conference opponent will now be 340 miles away)

Not the first time FAMU has left the MEAC, either. They spent the 84-85 & 85-86 seasons as an independent in all sports, and the 1986 football season, after a feud with the league over the venue for the Bethune-Cookman game. The football team left again and spent the '04 season as a 1-A independent, but returned to the MEAC the next year.

The Horizon is probably looking for someone to help even the numbers since Purdue Fort Wayne joins the league in July.

Robert Morris, being in Pittsburgh, isn't that far off from the league's geographical footprint. It makes sense.

1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

The Horizon is probably looking for someone to help even the numbers since Purdue Fort Wayne joins the league in July.

Robert Morris, being in Pittsburgh, isn't that far off from the league's geographical footprint. It makes sense.

With the Horizon League covering most of the North Central's major markets (and a few minor ones), it gives you the feeling that if they were a major conference, they'd try starting their own cable network.

bYhYmxh.png

2 hours ago, MBurmy said:

With the Horizon League covering most of the North Central's major markets (and a few minor ones), it gives you the feeling that if they were a major conference, they'd try starting their own cable network.

They technically have their own network via ESPN+