Minnesota VIkings UPDATE 1

chestnutz

As Favre gets ready to retire (thank the lord) I decided to give the Vikings' look a bit of a facelift, quite literally. I'll just get right to the chase...

First thing you'll notice is the colors. I wanted to try out vegas gold, see how people thought about it. I gave 4 options, two with gold and two with their current yellow, and one of each with and without black.

I gave the primary logo a "facelift" (ha-ha) by bringing it into this century a bit, making the lines sharper, making his face white to get rid of the tan (one of my logo pet peeves), and well, you can see the rest. I made the helmet horn actually match the horn on the logo.

Most of you may not remember, but one of my first concepts on these boards was a Vikings one. I took some of the ideas from there (giving the primary a facelift, and the secondary M/V logo) and used my better skills to, well, make it look better than that concept.

Onto the unis: I wanted the shoulder and pants striping to mimic that of my slightly updated horn. You'll see they do that pretty well I think. Sleeves may look a little crowded now, but I think on the new reebok style jerseys they're coming out with it would all fit pretty well.

vikings-logos.png

vikings-options.png

vikings-unis.png

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No to the old gold keep the canary brighter yellow. The secondary 'MV' logo is genius. Something is bothering me about the primary... I just cant put my finger on it. Jerseys look good EXCEPT for the # font. Good first try though!

These are the best kinds of rebrands, imo. Where you take what's already there and improve upon it very slightly, a la Cardinals, Falcons, Jets, etc. This is exactly the kind of logo facelift I was hoping someone would do... Virtually take the old logo and just make very, very minor tweaks.

the secondary M logo may be genius, but I've seen that before. the primary is on it's way to being a pretty good update, however something about the background horn is bothering me. It probably needs to be lowered...or maybe even removed.

the uniforms kind of remind me of Washington Huskies. I would prefer the old colrs.

but again the logo is getting somewhere

1. The MV is nice (I think I've seen it done before, or at least something similar) but kinda sorta looks more like longhorns than viking-helmet horns. Maybe I'm just seeing things though.

2. While the old gold does look nice, I think that the yellow gold just works better with their purple.

3. I wonder if it could look better by reversing the colors on the shoulder and pants stripes. Maybe make the big stripe gold and the slim stripe white on the purple jersey / pants, and the big stripe gold and thin stripe purple on the white jersey / pants. What you have def looks good, and is probably better than my idea, but it's just something I thought might work.

4. I def don't hate the number font, and I think it's an improvement from their rounded-block crap font that they have now, but I think there's a way to incorporate the viking horns into the numbers. I've sketched the whole font set in my sketch book (I don't use the fancy-ass computer programs you all use, just an old-fashioned artists sketch book). Basically picture a 6, but more square, and the thing at the top terminating in a horn. It could create too many sharp endings on the jerseys, what with the shoulder stripes both ending in angles, but maybe it'd work.

5. Gold facemask just doesn't look right. Stick to purple.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I like your update, just a couple things I think would make it better.

1) Use a brighter gold on the jersey, something that stands out more (if that makes sense)

2) Use a more standard number font (Would have to compare the two to see if it would look better, its a possibility that it could make it look worse)

3) Put the MV logo on the front of the pants

Overall a great update, good job!

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

I gotta agree with what TheVet said, the MV logo is clever but it makes me think of Bulls/Longhorns etc, not sure if that's because I've seen something similar used somewhere else or whether it's just a subliminal thing with the apex of the V looking very much like a head. One thing I would suggest though is you may want to look at thinning down the verticals just a touch, on any serif font certainly the first vertical at least will be thinner than the first diagonal, check the N in your Vikings wordmark to see what I mean. There you can see a marked difference in weight between the vertical strokes and the diagonal ones, but with your MV logo they appear at first glance to almost exactly the same weight.

I'd also look at tweaking the Vikings face a little right now his nose seems way too short and his bottom lip/chin somewhat distorted. You'll also need to watch the mitres on your keyline, it's doing some really crazy stuff around his eyebrows and it's really distracting to the silhouette, and you want to try and keep that as clean and simple as possible to make the logo easily readable.

Everyone else seems to have hit on any of the other points I'd make, mostly about colour, so I'll just say good job and keep working. I look forward to the final results.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Great work on the unis and logos, but I prefer the existing colors.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

We can only hope for a Farve retirement so Vikings go back back to their losing ways. One game from the Superbowl is not enough for their fans. Blame Favre for one bad pass, not the 12 men in the huddle, incomplete pass would of made for a 56 yard FG attempt. 6 Fumbles, all Farves fault.

Great C & C on the concept . . .

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

I like it, but make the facemask purple and the belt on the purple pants purple. Old gold socks won't work realistically. However, you could make the sock purple, with a thin white stripe and a thin gold stripe underneath to match the stripe pattern throughout the unis.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I like the idea of a slight update, and the uniforms look nice. But I'm not sold on the soft gold color. I think it's just a little too desaturated. You don't have to go all the way back to the bright yellow, but something in between would be nice.

Also, you need to look at some of the details in logos and wordmarks, especially in the purple strokes on the primary wordmark and primary logo. The wordmark has places where the purple outline runs together and becomes way too thick, and on the primary logo there are some termination points where the purple stroke is cut off with a curve, and some where it is cut off with a sharp point.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I like the idea of a slight update, and the uniforms look nice. But I'm not sold on the soft gold color. I think it's just a little too desaturated. You don't have to go all the way back to the bright yellow, but something in between would be nice.

Like the gold LSU used for their combat unis?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Good start. Kind of reminds me of the modernization I did of the viking head. You can look at it here if you like. I won't post the image, as that would be threadjacking. A few thoughts:

? I think dgn has a point about the gold being too soft. I would either sticking with the yellow, or split the difference like he mentioned.

? I also think the horns are slightly too small, but the just might be because the end are rounded off.

? The eye could be refined. Right now, it's a block of purple.

? I'm not too fond of the braid using straight lines. A braid usually curves as the hair overlaps. Not to mention the lines around it are curved.

I do like this overall. I'm fond of the face being white, and the bold lines. However, some tweaking is in order. I would like to see an update when you get the chance.

I think the introduction of gold looks very nice chestnutz.

I'm not a fan of the secondary "MV" logo, primarily because it looks like the horns of a bull or other horned animal. Just doesn't work here when relating to their helmets.

Also, something under the mustache area (the mouth and chin) looks odd. That stroke coming off seems either misplaced or appearing to be a mouth too low.

I think the modernization of the logo and the introduction of gold is the best thing about this concept. Great job overall.

Archived